- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Association between physical activity and health - related quality of life in Korean patients with COPD
만성폐쇄성폐질환의 신체활동수준과 삶의 질 간의 관련성
- Received : 2019.03.28
- Accepted : 2019.04.22
- Published : 2019.04.30
Objective: Patients with COPD have a lower overall quality of life than normal people. If patients with COPD do not regularly perform physical activities, their exercise capacity is reduced. It could lead to muscle loss, and negatively affect their general physical, social, and psycho-social status. The purpose of this study was to examine association with physical activity, sedentary life time and health-related quality of life in patients with COPD. Method: Of the total of 22,948 participants surveyed in Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES 2013-2015), 8,626 participants were used for this study. Of these, under 40 years, over 80 years, missing values and abnormal values were excluded. Study variables included physical activity level, sedentary time and health-related quality of life variables. The physical activity level assessment tool was measured using International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ). Sedentary time referred to the amount of sitting time without moving the body. EQ-5D (Euro Quality of Life-5 Dimensions) was used as an index of health-related quality of life. Control variables were age, gender, income level, education level, marital status, comorbidity, smoking, BMI, cough, sputum, COPD severity. For this study, descriptive analysis, T-test, ANOVA and multivariate regression analysis were performed. Results: Of the 1,092 patients with COPD, 76.1% (n=831) were male and 23.9% (n=261) were female, while 39.0% (n=2,939) were male and 61.0% (n=4,595) were female in the comparison group without COPD. The COPD group with high level of physical activity showed a high level of EQ-5D scores (
- 건강보험심사평가원. (2013). 2013년 건강보험 통계연보. 서울: 건강보험심사평가원.
- 김경은 외 7명. (2010). 한국 일부 지역 노인들의 체력 및 신체 활동이 삶의 질에 미치는 영향. 대한임상노인학회지, 14(4), 212-220.
- 김소영, 윤지은, 김희진, 지선하. (2011). 국제신체활동 설문도구로 측정한 신체활동도와 건강관련 삶의 질의 관련성. 보건교육건강증진학회지, 28, 15-25.
- 김영희. (2008). 신체활동증진 프로그램이 노인의 신체 기능 및 삶의 질에 미치는 효과. 기초간호자연과학회지, 10(1), 11-18.
- 남해성. (2010). EQ-5D 건강상태에 대한 한국인 질 가중치 산출. 주간 건강과 질병, 3(16), 264-264.
- 대한결핵및호흡기학회. (2018). COPD 진료지침. 서울: 대한결핵및호흡기학회.
- 박세윤, 윤대현. (2014). 한국인의 신체활동과 건강관련 삶의 질 관련요인 및 관계성: 제5기 2차 년도 (2011). 국민건강영양조사 분석. 한국체육학회지, 53, 201-214.
- 박연환. (2007). 복지관 이용 노인의 신체활동과 수면. 대한간호학회지, 37(1), 5-13. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.1.5
- 손신영. (2009). 여성 노인의 건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 영향 요인. 여성건강간호학회지, 15(2), 99-107. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.2.99
- 안태준, 윤형규. (2018). 만성폐쇄성폐질환의 유병률 및 사회 경제적 부담. 대한의사협회지, 61(9), 533
- 오지연, 양윤준, 김병성, 강재헌. (2007). 한국어판 단문형 국제신체활동설문(IPAQ)의 신뢰도와 타당도. 가정의학회지, 28(5), 32-54.
- 유지홍 외 6명. (2018). COPD 진료지침 2012 개정. 대한결핵 및 호흡기학회.
- 윤재희 외 10명. (2004). 한국인 만성 질환과 건강 관련 삶의 질. 대한류마티스학회지, 11(3), 263-274.
- 이영훈 외 5명. (2009). EuroQoL-5 Dimension 한국 가중치 모형의 적용 연구. 보건교육 건강증진학회지, 26(1), 1-13.
- 이재홍, 최원오, 이혁. (2008). 전업주부의 생황 체육 참여 특성과 사회 적지지 및 삶의 질. 한국사회체육학회지, 34(1), 617-629
- 질병관리본부. (2017). 2016 만성질환 현황과 이슈. 충북: 질병관리본부.
- 질병관리본부. (2018). 2017 만성질환 현황과 이슈. 충북: 질병관리본부.
- 통계청. (2018). 2018년 사망원인통계 결과. 서울: 통계청.
- Andrea K et al. (2013) Relationship of sedentary behavior and physical activity to incident cardiovascular disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 61(23) 2346-2355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.03.031
- Arne et al. (2009). Physical activity and quality of life in subjects with chronic disease: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease compared with rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes mellitus. Scand J Prim Health Care, 27(3), 141-147. doi:10.1080/028134 30902808643 https://doi.org/10.1080/02813430902808643
- BALBOA-CASTILLO et al. (2011). Longitudinal association of physical activity sedentary behavior during leisure time with healthrelated quality of life in communitydwelling older adults. HealthQualLifeOutcomes, 9, 47.
- Benzo et al. (2010). Physical activity, health status and risk of hospitalization in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respiration, 80(1), 10-18. doi:10.1159/000296504 https://doi.org/10.1159/000296504
- Craig CL et al,. (2003). International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) 12-country reliability and validity. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 35, 1381-1395. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000078924.61453.FB
- Dias RC, Dias JM, Ramos LR. (2003). Impact of an exercise and walking protocol on quality of life for elderly people with OA of the knee. Physiotherapy Research International, 8(3), 121-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/pri.280
- Eliason et al. (2011). Physical activity patterns in patients in different stages of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Copd, 8(5), 369-374. doi:10.3109/15412555.2011.605403 https://doi.org/10.3109/15412555.2011.605403
- GBD. (2013). Global, regional, and national age sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990 2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.
- GOLD. (2018). Global Initiatives for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global Strategy for Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of COPD.
- GOPINATH et al. (2012). Physical activity and sedentary behaviors and healthrelated quality of life in adolescents. Pediatrics, 130, 167-174. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-3637
- Hartman JE et al. (2010). Consequences of physical inactivity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Expert Rev Resp Med, 4(6), 735 745. https://doi.org/10.1586/ers.10.76
- Hernandes et al. (2009). Profile of the level of physical activity in the daily lives of patients with COPD in Brazil. J Bras Pneumol, 35(10), 949-956. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132009001000002
- Katz P et al. (2011). The role of physical inactivity in increasing disability among older adults with obstructive airway disease. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Prevention, 31(3), 193-197. https://doi.org/10.1097/HCR.0b013e3181fc09b7
- McGlone et al. (2006). Physical activity, spirometry and quality-of-life in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Copd, 3(2), 83-88. https://doi.org/10.1080/15412550600651263
- Menard JR et al. (2004). Long-term results of peripheral arterial disease rehabilitation. Journal of Vascular Surgery, 39(6), 1186-1192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2004.01.034
- Page N. (1977). Weightlessness: a matter of gravity. New England Journal Medicine, 297, 32-37. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197707072970106
- Painter P, Krasnoff J, Paul SM, Ascher NL. (2001). Physical activity and health-related quality of life in liver transplant recipients. Liver Transplantation 7(3), 213-219. https://doi.org/10.1053/jlts.2001.22184
- Park SK, Richardson CR, Holleman RG, Larson JL. (2013). Physical activity in people with COPD, using the National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Survey dataset (2003-2006). Heart & Lung 42.235-240 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2013.04.005
- Pauwels et al. (2012). Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine, 163(5).
- Saltin B et al. (1968). Response to exercise after bed rest and after training. Circulation, 38, 13-78.
- Saltin B, Rowell LB. (1980). Functional adaptions to physical activity and inactivity. Federation Proceedings, 39, 1506-1513.
- Squires RW et al. (1990). Cardivascular rehabilitation; status. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 65, 731-755. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-6196(12)65134-9
- Stewart KJ et al. (2003). Are Fitness, activity, and fatness associated with health-related quality of life and mood in older person. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 23(2), 115-121. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008483-200303000-00009
- Troosters T et al. (2013). Improving physical activity in COPD: towards a new paradigm. Respiratory Research, 14, 115-123. https://doi.org/10.1186/1465-9921-14-115
- Vestbo et al. (2013). Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine, 187(4), 347-365. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201204-0596PP
- Yoon, J. (2016). Disability-adjusted Life Years for 313 Diseases and Injuries: the 2012 Korean Burden of Disease Study. Journal Of Korean Medical Science, 31 Suppl 2, S146. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2016.31.S2.S146