- Volume 28 Issue 5
To prevent environmental pollution caused by leakage of leachate from waste landfill, vinyl acetate-ethylene (VAE) resin is applied to liner and cover materials to improve their performance. Styrene, styrene butadiene rubber, and VAE are widely used as polymer resins that have excellent water resistance and durability. Further, VAE resin is known to have additional advantages such as adhesion to nonpolar materials and resistance to saponification as a copolymer. In this study, the effect of VAE content on the properties of liner and cover materials was studied. The water and air content ratios, bending and compressive strengths, water absorption ratio, and coefficient of permeability of these materials were measured. The liner and cover materials with 4 wt% VAE showed good properties.
Liner and cover material;VAE resin;Water resistance;Durability
- Afridi, M. U. K., Ohama, Y., Demura, K., Iqbal, M. Z., 2003, Development of polymer films by the coalescence of polymer particles in powdered and aqueous polymer-modified mortars, Cem. Concr. Res., 33(11), 1715-1721. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(02)01094-3
- Cho, J. B., Hyun, J. H., Park, H. S., Seo, K. A., 2003, Role of MCG (Muscovite Carbon Gypsum) in the application of fly ash as the landfill, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 25(9), 1147-1151.
- Choi, J. G., Lee, C. G., Ko, K. T., Ryu, G. S., 2015, Effect of VAE type powder polymer on strength properties of high strength polymer cement mortars, J. Korea Inst. Build. Const, 15(3) 299-306. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIBC.2015.15.3.299
- Cho, J. H., Yoon, T. G., Yeo, B. C., Ahn, S. R., Chun, B. S., 2005, A Study on the application of landfill liners with stone dust sludge, Proceedings of the Korean Geotechnical Society Conference, Korean Geotechnical Society, 483-490.
- DePuy, G. W., 1996, Proceedings of the international ICPIC workshop in polymers in concrete, Slovenia, 63-67.
- Han, C. G., Chang, J. H., 2015, Basic properties of alkali-activated mortar with additive's ratio and type of superplasticizer, J. Rec. Const. Resources, 3(1), 50-57.
- Heo, Y., Park, S. H., Jung, Y. J., Kim, E. J., 2011, Liner characteristics of solid waste incinerator fly ash, Journal of the Institute of Construction Technology, 30(1), 75-81.
- Hyun, J. H., Kim, M. G., 2007, Advanced technologies in liner and cover system of landfill, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 29(1), 3-7.
- Ismail, I., Bernal, S. A., Provis, J. L., Nicola, R. S., Brice, D. G., Kilcullen, A. R., Hamdan, S., van Deventer, J. S. J., 2013, Influence of fly ash on the water and chloride permeability of alkali activated slag mortars and concretes, Constr. Build. Mater., 48, 1187-1201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.07.106
- Jo, Y. K., Hyung, W. G., 2013, Properties of polymer cement mortar based on styrene-butyl acrylate according to emulsifier and monomer ratios, Polymer (Korea), 37(2), 148-155. https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2013.37.2.148
- Kim, Y. I., Sung, C. Y., 2007, Strength and watertightness properties of EVA modified high strength concrete, J. Korean Soc. Agric. Eng., 49(1), 45-54.
- Korea waste association, 2012, http://www.kwaste.or.kr/bbs/content.php.co_id=sub0403.
- Kumar, S., Kumar, R., Mehrotra, S. P., 2010, Influence of granulated blast furnace slag on the reaction, structure and properties of fly ash based geopolymer, J. Mater. Sci., 45(3), 607-615. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-009-3934-5
- Kim, J. S., 1999, A Development of landfill liner by utilizing waste lime, Masters thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. M., Youm, H. N., Lim, N. W., 2000, Effect of bentonite and cement on permeability and compressive strength of the compacted soil liner, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 22(3), 495-504.
- Lee, J. H., Park, S. H., Nam, J. N., Chun, B. S., 2009, A Study on the compaction and permeability of bottom ash and bentonite for using a liner material, Korean Geo-Environmental Conference, Seoul, 73-78.
- Lee, J. Y., Bae, S. Y., Woo, S. H., 2011, Evaluation of field applicability with Coal Mine Drainage Sludge (CMDS) as a liner: part I: physico-chemical characteristics of CMDS and a mixed liner, J. Korean Geosynthetics Society, 10(2), 67-72.
- Lee, K. S., Cho, I. K., Mok, J. K., Kim, J. W., 2016, An Electrical resistivity survey for leachate investigation at a solid waste landfill, Geophys. and Geophys. Explor., 19(2), 59-66. https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2016.19.2.059
- Lee, Y. G., Won, J. M., Lee, W. J., Choi, Y. H., 2013, The effect of vinyl acetate-ethylene (VAE) emulsion on coated paper properties, J. Korea Tech. Assoc. Pulp. Pap. Ind., 45(5), 37-43. https://doi.org/10.7584/ktappi.2013.45.5.037
- Mai, Y. W., Cotterell, B., 1986, Porosity and mechanical properties of epoxy-resin modified cement mortar, Cotterell, Cem. Concr. Res., 16(5). 646-652. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(86)90037-2
- Ohama, Y., 1995, Handbook of polymer-modified concrete and mortars, William Andrew, Noyes Publications, New Jersey, 24-52.
- Seo, M. W., Kim, D. J., Park, J. B., Park, I. J., 2002, An Evaluation of interface shear strength between geosynthetic clay liner and geomembrane, Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 18(4), 137-146.
Supported by : 한국연구재단