- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Shear performance of an innovative UHPFRC deck of composite bridge with coarse aggregate
- Qi, Jianan (Key Laboratory of Concrete and Prestressed Concrete Structures of the Ministry of Education, School of Civil Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Wanga, Jingquan (Key Laboratory of Concrete and Prestressed Concrete Structures of the Ministry of Education, School of Civil Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Feng, Yu (Key Laboratory of Concrete and Prestressed Concrete Structures of the Ministry of Education, School of Civil Engineering, Southeast University)
- Received : 2018.12.13
- Accepted : 2019.04.05
- Published : 2019.06.25
This paper presents an experimental study on the structural performance of an innovative ultra-high performance fiber reinforced concrete (UHPFRC) deck with coarse aggregate of composite bridge under shear force. Test parameters included curing method and shear span-to-height ratio. Test results indicated that more short fine cracks developed beside the existing cracks due to the randomly dispersed fibers, resulting in re-distributing and homogenizing of the concrete stress beside cracks and allowing for the occurrence of more cracks with small spacing compared to normal strength concrete beams. Curing methods, incorporating steam curing and natural curing, did not have obvious effect on the nominal bending cracking strength and the ultimate strength of the test specimens. Shear reinforcement need not be provided for UHPFRC decks with a fiber volume fraction of 2%. UHPFRC decks showed superior load resistance ability after the appearance of cracks and excellent post-cracking deformability. Lastly, the current shear provisions were evaluated by the test results.
composite bridge;deck;ultra-high performance fiber reinforced concrete (UHPFRC);shear;steel fiber
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Central Universities
- ACI (American Concrete Institute) (2014), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-14) and Commentary, ACI 318R-14, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Akcaoglu, T., Tokyay, M. and C elik, T. (2004), "Effect of coarse aggregate size and matrix quality on ITZ and failure behavior of concrete under uniaxial compression", Cement Concrete Compos., 26(6), 633-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958- 9465(03)00092-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(03)00092-1
- CEB-FIP (2012), Bulletin d'Information 65&66-Model Code MC2010 Final Draft, International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib), Lausanne, Switzerland.
- CECS 38: 2004 (2004), Technical Specification for Fiber Reinforced Concrete Structures, China Planning Press, Beijing.
- CECS13-2009 (2009), Standard Test Methods for Fiber Reinforced Concrete, China Planning Press, Beijing.
- French Association of Civil Engineering-French Authorities of Civil Engineering Structure Design, and Control (AFGC-Setra) (2013), Ultra High Performance Fibre-Reinforced Concretes, Recommendations, Bagneux, France.
- GB/T 31387-2015 (2015), Reactive Powder Concrete, General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of the People's Republic of China, Beijing.
- GB/T 50081-2002 (2002), Standard for Test Method of Mechanical Properties on Ordinary Concrete, Ministry of Construction of the People's Republic of China, Beijing.
- Ghasemi, S., Zohrevand, P., Mirmiran, A., Xiao, Y. and Mackie, K. (2016), "A super lightweight UHPC-HSS deck panel for movable bridges", Eng. Struct., 113, 186-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.01.046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.01.046
- Graybeal, B.A. (2006), "Material property characterization of ultra-high performance concrete (No. FHWA-HRT-06-103)", Federal Highway Administration, Office of Infrastructure Research and Development, United States.
- Harris, D.K. and Roberts-Wollmann, C.L. (2005), "Characterization of the punching shear capacity of thin ultrahigh performance concrete slabs", Final Report, Virginia Transportation Research Council, Charlottesville, VA.
- Lachance, F., Charron, J.P. and Massicotte, B. (2016), "Development of precast bridge slabs in high-performance fiber-reinforced concrete and ultra-high-performance fiberreinforced concrete", ACI Struct. J., 113(5), 929-939.
- Lee, T.K. and Pan, A.D.E. (2003), "Estimating the relationship between tension reinforcement and ductility of reinforced concrete beam sections", Eng. Struct., 25(8), 1057-1067. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00048-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00048-8
- Lim, W.Y. and Hong, S.G. (2016), "Shear tests for ultra-high performance fiber reinforced concrete (UHPFRC) beams with shear reinforcement", Int. J. Concrete Struct. Mater., 10(2), 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-016-0145-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-016-0145-8
- Liu, J., Han, F., Cui, G., Zhang, Q., Lv, J., Zhang, L. and Yang, Z. (2016), "Combined effect of coarse aggregate and fiber on tensile behavior of ultra-high performance concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 121, 310-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.05.039. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.05.039
- Ma, J., Orgass, M., Dehn, F., Schmidt, D. and Tue, N.V. (2004), "Comparative investigations on ultra-high performance concrete with and without coarse aggregates", Proceedings of International Symposium on Ultra High Performance Concrete, Germany.
- Mosaberpanah, M.A. and Eren, O. (2017), "Effect of quartz powder, quartz sand and water curing regimes on mechanical properties of UHPC using response surface modelling", Adv. Concrete Constr., 5(5), 481-492. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2017.5.5.481 https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2017.5.5.481
- Naaman, A.E. and Chandrangsu, K. (2004), "Innovative bridge deck system using high-performance fiber-reinforced cement composites", ACI Struct. J., 101(1), 57-64.
- Naaman, A.E., Likhitruangsilp, V. and Parra-Montesinos, G. (2007), "Punching shear response of high-performance fiberreinforced cementitious composite slabs", ACI Struct. J., 104(2), 170-179.
- Pan, H.J., Kwan, A.K.H. and Ho, J.C.M. (2001), "Post-peak behavior and flexural ductility of doubly reinforced normal-and high-strength concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 12(5), 459-474. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2001.12.5.459. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2001.12.5.459
- Parra-Montesinos, G.J. (2006), "Shear strength of beams with deformed steel fibers", Concrete Int., 28(11), 57-66.
- Pourbaba, M., Joghataie, A. and Mirmiran, A. (2018), "Shear behavior of ultra-high performance concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 183, 554-564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.06.117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.06.117
- Pourbaba, M., Sadaghian, H. and Mirmiran, A. (2019), "A comparative study of flexural and shear behavior of ultra-highperformance fiber-reinforced concrete beams", Adv. Struct. Eng., 1369433218823848. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433218823848.
- Qi, J. (2013), "Theoretical and experimental study of shear strength for RC&PC&EPC bridge", Master's Thesis, Southeast University, Nanjing, China. (in Chinese)
- Qi, J. (2018), "Experimental and theoretical study on design method of UHPC beams based on multiscale analysis of interfacial bond behavior", Doctoral Thesis, Southeast University, Nanjing, China. (in Chinese)
- Qi, J., Hu, Y., Wang, J. and Li, W. (2018a), "Behavior and strength of headed stud shear connectors in ultra-high performance concrete of composite bridges", Front. Struct. Civil Eng., 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-019-0542-6.
- Qi, J., Ma, Z.J., Wang, J. and Liu, T. (2016), "Post-cracking shear strength and deformability of HSS-UHPFRC beams", Struct. Concrete, 17(6), 1033-1046. https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201500191. https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201500191
- Qi, J., Ma, Z.J. and Wang, J. (2017a), "Shear strength of UHPFRC beams: mesoscale fiber-matrix discrete model", J. Struct. Eng., 143(4), 04016209. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001701. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001701
- Qi, J., Wang, J. and Ma, Z.J. (2018b), "Flexural response of highstrength steel-ultra-high-performance fiber reinforced concrete beams based on a mesoscale constitutive model: experiment and theory", Struct. Concrete, 19(3), 719-734. https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201700043. https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201700043
- Qi, J., Wang, J., Li, M. and Chen, L. (2017b), "Shear capacity of stud shear connectors with initial damage: Experiment, FEM model and theoretical formulation", Steel Compos. Struct., 25(1), 79-92. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.25.1.079.
- Qi, J., Wu, Z., Ma, Z.J. and Wang, J. (2018c), "Pullout behavior of straight and hooked-end steel fibers in UHPC matrix with various embedded angles", Constr. Build. Mater., 191, 764-774. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.10.067. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.10.067
- Saleem, M.A., Mirmiran, A., Xia, J. and Mackie, K. (2011), "Ultra-high-performance concrete bridge deck reinforced with high-strength steel", ACI Struct. J., 108(5), 601-609.
- Saleem, M.A., Mirmiran, A., Xia, J. and Mackie, K. (2014), "Experimental characterization of ultrahigh-performance concrete bridge deck system", J. Bridge Eng., 20(9), 04014101. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000697.
- Suwaed, A.S. and Karavasilis, T.L. (2018), "Removable shear connector for steel-concrete composite bridges", Steel Compos. Struct., 29(1), 107-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.29.1.107. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.29.1.107
- Tasdemir, C., Tasdemir, M.A., Lydon, F.D. and Barr, B.I. (1996), "Effects of silica fume and aggregate size on the brittleness of concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 26(1), 63-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(95)00180-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(95)00180-8
- Toutlemonde, F., Resplendino, J., Sorelli, L., Bouteille, S. and Brisard, S. (2005), "Innovative design of ultra high-performance fiber reinforced concrete ribbed slab: experimental validation and preliminary detailed analyses", 7th International Symposium on Utilization of High Strength/High Performance Concrete, Washington DC, USA.
- Tran, N.T., Tran, T.K. and Kim, D.J. (2015), "High rate response of ultra-high-performance fiber-reinforced concretes under direct tension", Cement Concrete Res., 69, 72-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2014.12.008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2014.12.008
- Walter, R., Olesen, J.F., Stang, H. and Vejrum, T. (2007), "Analysis of an orthotropic deck stiffened with a cement-based overlay", J. Bridge Eng., 12(3), 350-363. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:3(350). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:3(350)
- Wang, C., Yang, C., Liu, F., Wan, C. and Pu, X. (2012), "Preparation of ultra-high performance concrete with common technology and materials", Cement Concrete Compos., 34(4), 538-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2011.11.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2011.11.005
- Wang, J., Qi, J., Tong, T., Xu, Q. and Xiu, H. (2019), "Static behavior of large stud shear connectors in steel-UHPC composite structures", Eng. Struct., 178, 534-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.07.058. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.07.058
- Yoo, D.Y. and Yoon, Y.S. (2015), "Structural performance of ultra-high-performance concrete beams with different steel fibers", Eng. Struct., 102, 409-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.08.029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.08.029