- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Free vibrations of a two-cable network inter-supported by cross-links extended to ground
- Zhou, H.J. (Institute of Urban Smart Transportation & Safety Maintenance, Shenzhen University) ;
- Wu, Y.H. (Institute of Urban Smart Transportation & Safety Maintenance, Shenzhen University) ;
- Li, L.X. (Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Durability for Marine Civil Engineering, Shenzhen University) ;
- Sun, L.M. (State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Xing, F. (Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Durability for Marine Civil Engineering, Shenzhen University)
- Received : 2016.07.02
- Accepted : 2019.01.25
- Published : 2019.06.25
Using cross-ties to connect cables together when forming a cable network is regarded as an efficient method of mitigating cable vibrations. Cross-ties have been extended and fixed on bridge decks or towers in some engineering applications. However, the dynamics of this kind of system need to be further studied, and the effects of extending cross-links to bridge decks/towers on the modal response of the system should be assessed in detail. In this paper, a system of two cables connected by an inter-supported cross-link with another lower cross-link extended to the ground is proposed and analyzed. The characteristic equation of the system is derived, and some limiting solutions in closed form of the system are derived. Roots of cable system with special configurations are also discussed, attention being given to the case when the two cables are identical. A predictable mode behavior was found when the stiffness of inter-connection cross-link and the cross-link extended to the ground were the same. The vector of mode energy distribution and the degree of mode localization index are proposed so as to distinguish global and local modes. The change of mode behaviors is further discussed in the case when the two cables are not identical. Effects of cross-link stiffness, cross-link location, mass-tension ratio, cable length ratio and frequency ratio on
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Ministry of Science and Technology
- Ahmad, J. and Cheng, S.H. (2013), "Effect of cross-link stiffness on the in-plane free vibration behaviour of a two-cable network", Eng. Struct., 52, 570-580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.03.018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.03.018
- Ahmad, J., Cheng, S.H. and Ghrib, F. (2016), "Impact of cross-tie design on the in-plane stiffness and local mode formation of cable networks on cable-stayed bridges", J. Sound Vib., 363, 141-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2015.09.052. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2015.09.052
- Bosch, H.R. and Park, S.W. (2005), "Effectiveness of external dampers and cross-ties in mitigation of stay cable vibrations", Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics, 2005, Charleston, South Carolina, US.
- Caracoglia, L. and Jones, N.P. (2005a), "In-plane dynamic behavior of cable networks. Part 1: formulation and basic solutions", J. Sound Vib., 279(3-5), 969-991. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.11.058. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.11.058
- Caracoglia, L. and Jones, N.P. (2005b), "In-plane dynamic behavior of cable networks. Part 2: prototype prediction and validation", J. Sound Vib., 279(3-5), 993-1014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.11.059. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.11.059
- Chen, Z.Q., Wang, X.Y., Ko, J.M., Ni, Y.Q., Spencer, B.F., Jr., Yang, G. and Hu, J.H. (2004), "MR damping system for mitigating wind-rain induced vibration on Dongting Lake Cable-Stayed Bridge", Wind Struct., 7(4), 293-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.5.293. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.5.293
- Christenson, R.E., Spencer, B.F. and Johnson, E.A. (2006). "Experimental verification of smart cable damping", J. Eng. Mech., 132(3), 268-278. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:3(268). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:3(268)
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2005), "State-derivative feedback control of cable vibration using semi-active MR dampers", Comput. -Aided Civil Infrastruct. Eng., 20(6), 431-449. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2005.00396.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2005.00396.x
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q., Zhang, H.M., Spencer, Jr., B.F. and Ko, J.M. (2019a), "Design formulas for vibration control of taut cables using passive MR dampers", Smart Struct. Syst., Accepted.
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q., Zhang, H.M., Spencer, Jr., B.F. and Ko J.M. (2019b), "Design formulas for vibration control of sagged cables using passive MR dampers", Smart Struct. Syst., Accepted.
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2006), "Cable vibration control using magnetorheological dampers", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str., 17(4), 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X06054997
- Ehsan, F. and Scanlan R.H. (1990), "Damping stay cables with ties", Proceedings of the 5th US-Japan Bridge Workshop, 203-217.
- Fujino, Y. and Hoang, N. (2008), "Design formulas for damping of a stay cable with a damper" J. Struct. Eng., 134(2), 269-278. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:2(269). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:2(269)
- Giaccu, G.F. and Caracoglia, L. (2012), "Effects of modeling nonlinearity in cross-ties on the dynamics of simplified in-plane cable networks", Struct. Control Health Monit., 19(3), 348-369. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.435. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.435
- Irvine, H.M. (1981), Cable Structures, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, US.
- Krenk, S. (2000), "Vibration of a taut cable with an external damper", J. Appl. Mech., 67(4), 772-776. doi:10.1115/1.1322037. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1322037
- Kumarasena, S., Jones, N.P. and Irwin, P. and Taylor, P. (2007), Wind-induced vibration of stay cables, FHWA-HRT-05-083, US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
- Li, H., Liu, M. and Ou, J.P. (2004), "Vibration mitigation of a stay cable with one shape memory alloy damper", Struct. Control Health Monit., 11(1), 21-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.29. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.29
- Lu, L., Duan, Y.F., Spencer, B.F., Jr., Lu, X.L. and Zhou, Y. (2017), "Inertial mass damper for mitigating cable vibration", Struct. Control Health Monit., e1986, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1986.
- Or, S.W., Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q., Chen, Z.H. and Lam, K.H. (2008). "Development of magnetorheological dampers with embedded piezoelectric force sensors for structural vibration control", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str., 19(11), 1327-1338. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X07085673. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X07085673
- Sun, L.M., Shi, C., Zhou, H.J. and Cheng, W. (2004), "A full-scale experiment on vibration mitigation of stay cable", IABSE Symposium Report, 88(6), 31-36.
- Sun, L.M., Shi, C., Zhou, H.J. and Zhou, Y.G. (2005), "Vibration mitigation of long stay cable using dampers and cross-ties", Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics, Charleston, SC, USA, September.
- Sun, L.M., Zhou, Y.G. and Huang, H.W. (2007), "Experiment and damping evaluation on stay cables connected by cross ties", Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics. Vienna, Austria.
- Virlogeux, M. (1998), "Cable vibrations in cable-stayed bridges", Bridge Aerodynamics, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Wang, X.Y., Ni, Y.Q., Ko, J.M. and Chen, Z.Q. (2005), "Optimal design of viscous dampers for multi-mode vibration control of bridge cables", Eng. Struct., 27(5), 792-800. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.12.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.12.013
- Xu, Y.L., Chen, J., Ng, C.L. and Zhou, H.J. (2008), "Occurrence probability of wind-rain-induced stay cable vibration", Adv. Struct. Eng., 11(1), 53-69. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308784069487. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943308784069487
- Yamaguchi, H. and Nagahawatta, H.D. (1995), "Damping effects of cable cross ties in cable-stayed bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 35-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00027-B. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00027-B
- Zhou, H.J. and Sun, L.M. (2008), "Parameter optimization of damper with stiffness for stay cable", Chinese Quarterly of Mech., 29(1), 180-185. (In Chinese)
- Zhou, H.J. and Sun, L.M. (2013), "Damping of stay cable with passive-on magnetorheological dampers: a full-scale test", Int. J. Civil Eng., 11(3), 154-159.
- Zhou, H.J. and Xu, Y.L. (2007), "Wind-rain-induced vibration and control of stay cables in a cable-stayed bridge", Struct. Control Health Monit., 14(7), 1013-1033. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.190. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.190
- Zhou, H.J., Huang, X.J., Xiang, N., He, J.W., Sun, L.M. and Xing, F. (2018a), "Free vibration of a taut cable with a damper and a concentrated mass", Struct. Control Health Monit., 25(11), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2251.
- Zhou, H.J., Qi, S.K., Yao, G.Z., Zhou, L.B., Sun, L.M. and Xing, F. (2018b), "Damping and frequency of a model cable attached with a pre-tensioned shape memory alloy wire: Experiment and analysis", Struct. Control Health Monit., 25(2), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2106.
- Zhou, H.J., Sun, L.M. and Shi, C. (2006), "A full-scale experimental study on cable vibration mitigation with friction damper", J. Tongji University, 34(7), 864-868. (In Chinese) https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:0253-374X.2006.07.003
- Zhou, H.J., Sun, L.M. and Xing, F. (2014a), "Free vibration of taut cable with a damper and spring", Struct. Control Health Monit., 21(6), 996-1014. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1628. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1628
- Zhou, H.J., Sun, L.M. and Xing, F. (2014b), "Damping of fullscale stay cable with viscous damper: experiment and analysis", Adv. Struct. Eng., 17(2), 265-274. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-4318.104.22.1685. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-4322.214.171.1245
- Zhou, H.J., Xiang N., Huang X.J., Sun, L.M., Xing, F. and Zhou R. (2018c), "Full-scale test of dampers for stay cable vibration mitigation and improvement measures", Struct. Monit. Maint., 5(4), 489-506. https://doi.org/10.12989/smm.2018.5.4.489. https://doi.org/10.12989/SMM.2018.5.4.489
- Zhou, H.J., Yang, X., Sun, L.M. and Xing, F. (2015), "Free vibrations of a two-cable network with near-support dampers and a cross-link", Struct. Control Health Monit., 22(9), 1173-1192. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1738. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1738
- Zhou, H.J., Yang, X., Zhou, R., Sun, L.M. and Xing, F. (2019), "Damping and frequency of twin cables with a crosslink and a viscous damper", Smart Struct. Syst., Accepted.