- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Mechanical performance study and parametric analysis of three-tower four-span suspension bridges with steel truss girders
- Cheng, Jin (State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Xu, Mingsai (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Xu, Hang (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2018.12.11
- Accepted : 2019.06.12
- Published : 2019.07.25
This paper aims to study the mechanical performance of three-tower four-span suspension bridges with steel truss girders, including the static and dynamic characteristics of the bridge system, and more importantly, the influence of structural parameters including the side-main span ratio, sag-to-span ratio and the girder stiffness on key mechanical indices. For this purpose, the Oujiang River North Estuary Bridge which is a three-tower four-span suspension bridge with two main spans of 800m under construction in China is taken as an example in this study. This will be the first three-tower suspension bridge with steel truss girders in the world. The mechanical performance study and parametric analysis are conducted based on a validated three-dimensional spatial truss finite element model established for the Oujiang River North Estuary Bridge using MIDAS Civil. It is found that a relatively small side-main span ratio seems to be quite appropriate from the perspective of mechanical performance. And decreasing the sag-to-span ratio is an effective way to reduce the horizontal force subjected to the midtower and improve the antiskid safety of the main cable, while the vertical stiffness of the bridge will be reduced. However, the girder stiffness is shown to be of minimal significance on the mechanical performance. The findings from this paper can be used for design of three-tower suspension bridges with steel truss girders.
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of China, Central Universities
- Boonyapinyo, V., Lauhatanon, Y. and Lukkunaprasit, P. (2006), "Nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of suspension bridges", Eng. Struct., 28(5), 793-803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.10.008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.10.008
- Cao, H.Y., Qian, X.D., Zhou, Y.L., Chen, Z.J. and Zhu, H.P. (2018), "Feasible Range for Midtower Lateral Stiffness in Three-tower Suspension Bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 23(3), 06017009. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001196 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001196
- Choi, D.H., Gwon, S.G., Yoo, H. and Na, H.S. (2013), "Nonlinear static analysis of continuous multi-span suspension bridges", Int. J. Steel Struct., 13(1), 103-115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-013-1010-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-013-1010-0
- Collings, D. (2016), "Multiple-span suspension bridges: State of the art", Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers-Bridge Engineering, 169(3), 215-231. https://doi.org/10.1680/jbren.15.00035 https://doi.org/10.1680/jbren.15.00035
- Fukuda, T. (1967), "Analysis of multispan suspension bridges", J. Struct. Div.: ASCE, 93(3), 63-86.
- Gimsing, N.J. (1997), Cable Supported Bridges Concept and Design, (2nd ed.), Wiley, New York, NY, USA.
- Guo, H.Y., Wang, W., Shi, X.Y., Pu, Q.H. and Kang, R. (2018), "Behavior of steel-concrete composite cable anchorage system", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 26(1), 115-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.26.1.115
- Jia, L.J., Lin, Z.B., Xiao, R.C. and Jiang, Y. (2018), "Parameter effects on the mechanical performance of triple-tower four-span suspension bridges", Adv. Struct. Eng., 21(2), 256-269. https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433217717115 https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433217717115
- JTG-D60-2015 (2015), General specifications for the design of highway bridges and culverts, CCCC Highway Consultants Co., Ltd.; China Communications Press, Beijing, China.
- JTG/T-D65-05-2015 (2015), Specifications for the design of highway suspension bridges, CCCC Highway Consultants Co., Ltd.; China Communications Press, Beijing, China.
- Jung, J., Kim, J., Baek, J. and Choi, H. (2010), "Practical design of continuous two main-span suspension bridge in Korea", IABSE Symp. Rep., 97(29), 62-69. https://doi.org/10.2749/222137810796024501 https://doi.org/10.2749/222137810796024501
- Kaveh, A. and Mahjoubi, S. (2017), "Design of multi-span steel box girder using lion pride optimization algorithm", Smart Struct. Syst., Int. J., 20(5), 607-618. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2017.20.5.607
- Ko, H.J., Moon, J., Shin, Y.W. and Lee, H.E. (2013), "Non-linear analyses model for composite box-girders with corrugated steel webs under torsion", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 14(5), 409-429. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.5.409 https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.5.409
- Lin, W.W. and Yoda, T. (2017), Bridge Engineering: Classifications, Design Loading, and Analysis Methods, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK.
- Ma, X., Nie, J. and Fan, J. (2016), "Longitudinal stiffness of multispan suspension bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 06015010. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000878
- Nazir, C.P. (1986), "Multispan balanced suspension bridge", J. Struct. Eng., 112(11), 2512-2527. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:11(2512) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:11(2512)
- Olmati, P., Gkoumas, K., Brando, F. and Cao, L.L. (2013), "Consequence-based robustness assessment of a steel truss bridge", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 14(4), 379-395. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.4.379 https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.4.379
- Parke, G. and Hewson, N. (2008), ICE Manual of Bridge Engineering, (2nd Ed.), Thomas Telford, London, UK.
- Tao, T.Y., Wang, H. and Wu, T. (2017), "Parametric study on buffeting performance of a long-span triple-tower suspension bridge", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 14(3), 381-399. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2017.1354034
- Thai, H.T. and Choi, D.H. (2013), "Advanced analysis of multi-span suspension bridges", J. Constr. Steel Res., 90, 29-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.07.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.07.015
- Wang, H., Tao, T.Y., Zhou, R., Hua, X. and Kareem, A. (2014), "Parameter sensitivity study on flutter stability of a long-span triple-tower suspension bridge", J. Wind Eng. Indust. Aerodyn.., 128, 12-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.03.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.03.004
- Xu, Y.L., Sun, D.K., Ko, J.M. and Lin, J.H. (2000), "Fully coupled buffeting analysis of Tsing Ma suspension bridge", Journal of Wind Eng. Indust. Aerodyn., 85(1), 97-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00133-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00133-6
- Yoshida, O., Okuda, M. and Moriya, T. (2004), "Structural characteristics and applicability of four-span suspension bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 5(453), 453-464. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(453)
- Zhang, X.J. (2010), "Study of structural parameters on the aerodynamic stability of three-tower suspension bridge", Wind Struct., Int. J., 13(5), 471-485. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.5.471 https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.5.471