- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Samgyetang with Medicinal Herbs
전통 약용식물을 첨가한 삼계탕의 품질 특성
- Jung, Samooel (Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Tae-Kyung (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Ku, Su-Kyung (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Yong, Hae In (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Woo (Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Young-Boong (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang (Korea Food Research Institute)
- 정사무엘 (충남대학교 동물자원과학부) ;
- 김태경 (한국식품연구원 가공공정연구단) ;
- 구수경 (한국식품연구원 가공공정연구단) ;
- 용해인 (한국식품연구원 가공공정연구단) ;
- 이경우 (건국대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 김영붕 (한국식품연구원 가공공정연구단) ;
- 최윤상 (한국식품연구원 가공공정연구단)
- Received : 2019.04.05
- Accepted : 2019.06.12
- Published : 2019.06.30
This study investigated the effect of traditional medicinal plants on the quality characteristics of Samgyetang breast meat and broth. The traditional medicinal plants used in this study were roots of Panax ginseng, Codonopsis lanceolata, Platycodon grandiflorum, Salvia miltiorrhiza, Adenophora triphylla, and Allium hookeri. There was no significant difference (P>0.05) in the moisture, protein, ash content, water holding capacity, and cooking loss of Samgyetang meat with the addition of traditional medicinal plants. The color values (lightness, redness, and yellowness) of Samgyetang meat and broth were significantly different (P<0.05); the 2-thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and shear force of Samgyetang meat were significantly different (P<0.05); and the pH, turbidity, and viscosity of Samgyetang broth were also significantly different (P<0.05) with the addition of traditional medicinal plants. In the overall acceptability of Samgyetang meat, the addition of S. miltiorrhiza showed the highest score compared to that of other treatments (P<0.05). Thus, the addition of traditional medicinal plants in the production of Samgyetang were found to affect the lipid rancidity beneficially with plant species when compared to Samgyetang with Panax ginseng. In conclusion, with the development of Samgyetang using S. miltiorrhiza, it will be possible to develop products with superior quality characteristics in antioxidant, shear force, and overall acceptability.
Supported by : 농림식품기술기획평가원, 한국식품연구원
- AOAC 2000 Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA. Pages 33-36.
- Bae GC, Bae DY 2012 The anti-inflammatory effects of ethanol extract of Allium hookeri cultivated in South Korea. Kor J Herbology 27(6):55-61. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2012.27.6.55
- Bourne MC, Kenny JF, Barnard J 1978 Computer-assisted readout of data from texture profile analysis curves. J Texture Stud 9(4):481-494. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1978.tb01219.x
- Cho HS, Shin JH, Lee SJ, Kang MJ, Cho HS, Sung NJ 2007 Lipid compositions changes of seasoned pork prepared with medicinal plant extracts during storage. J Life Sci 17(12):1675-1681. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.12.1675
- Choi JH, Jeong JY, Choi YS, Han DJ, Kim HY, Lee MA, Lee ES, Paik HD, Kim CJ 2006 The effects of marination condition on quality characteristics of cured pork meat and sensory properties of pork jerky. Korean J Food Sci An 26(2):229-235.
- Choi JH, Kim I, Jeong JY, Lee ES, Choi YS, Kim CJ 2009 Effects of carcass processing method and curing condition on quality characteristics of ground chicken breasts. Korean J Food Sci An 29(3):356-363. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.3.356
- Choi MS, Choi PS 1999 Plant regeneration and saponin contents in Codonopsis lanceolata L. Korean J Med Crop Sci 7(4):275-281.
- Choi YS, Jeong JY, Choi JH, Han DJ, Kim HY, Lee MA, Kim HW, Paik HD, Kim CJ 2008 Effects of dietary fiber from rice bran on the quality characteristics of emulsion-type sausages. Korean J Food Sci An 28(1):14-20. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.1.14
- Choi YS, Sung JM, Jeon KH, Choi HW, Seo DH, Kim CJ, Kim HY, Hwang KE, Kim YB 2015 Quality characteristics on adding blood levels to blood sausage. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31(6):741-748. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.6.741
- Grau R, Hamm R 1953 Eine einfache methode zur bestimmung der wasserbindung im muskel. Naturwissenschaften 40(1):29-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Han EG, Sung IS, Moon HG, Cho SY 1998 Effect of Codonopsis lanceolata water extract on the levels of lipid in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27(5):940-944.
- Han YJ, Ku SK, Kim TK, Sung JM, Kim YB, Choi YS 2018 Study on the storage stability of the white internal organs using natural materials. J Food Preserv 25(1):145-154.
- Haskaraca G, Demirok E, Kolsarici N, Oz F, Ozsarac N 2014 Effect of green tea extract and microwave pre-cooking on the formation of heterocyclic aromatic amines in fried chicken meat products. Food Res Int 63(C):373-381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2014.04.001
- Hwang KE, Choi YS, Choi SM, Kim HW, Choi JH, Lee MA, Kim CJ 2013 Antioxidant action of Ganghwayakssuk (Artemisia princeps Pamp.) in combination with ascorbic acid to increase the shelf life in raw and deep fried chicken nuggets. Meat Sci 95(3):593-602. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.05.035
- Jeong DY, Hwang SJ, Beom SW, Kim GH, Eun JB 2013 Physicochemical and sensory properties of herb samgyetang, ginseng chicken soup with different levels of added medicinal herbs. Korean J Food Preserv 20(2):272-277 https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.2.272
- Jeong DY, Hwang SJ, Lee SH, Eun JB 2012 Effect of the dried-medicinal-herbs mixing ratio on the sensory and quality characteristics of Samgyetang for ginseng chicken soup. Korean J Food Preserv 19(5):696-702. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.5.696
- Kang SM, Kim TS, Cho SH, Park BY, Lee SK 2012 Comparison of microbial and physico-chemical quality characteristics in Kimchi-fermented sausages with sodium nitrite and green tea extract. J Anim Sci Technol 54(4): 299-305. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.4.299
- Kang YH 2009 Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity in cell wall materials from Deodeok (Codonopsis lanceolata). Korean J Food Sci Technol 41(3):345-349.
- Kim H 2018 Effect of Duduk (Codonopsis lanceolata Radix) on the quality of beef hamburger patties. The Korean Journal of Community Living Science. 29(4), 507-519. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2018.29.4.507
- Kim TK, Hwang KE, Choi HD, Sung JM, Jeon KH, Kim YB, Choi YS 2018a Effects of natural sources on quality of Samgyetang meat and broth. Korean J Food Cook Sci 34(5):476-483. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.5.476
- Kim TK, Kim YB, Jeon KH, Jang HW, Lee HS, Choi YS 2019 Quality characteristics of Samgyetang according to the sodium chloride level and with/without phosphate in broth. Food Science of Animal Resources 39(1):102-113. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2019.e8
- Kim TK, Ku SK, Sung JM, Kim YB, Kim HW, Choi YS 2018b Effects of marination and superheated steam process on quality characteristics of Samgyetang. Korean J Food Cook Sci 34(2):155-162. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.2.155
- Kim US, Choi EM, Koo SJ. 2002. Effects of the addition of vegetables on oxidized frying oil. Korean J Food Cook Sci 18(6):557-561.
- Kim YP, Lee EB, Kim SY, Li D, Ban HS, Lim SS, Shin KH, Ohuchi K 2001 Inhibition of pros-taglandin E2 production by platycodin D isolated from the root of Platycodon grandiflorum. Planta Med 67(4):362-364. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2001-14317
- Konno C, Saito T, Oshima Y, Hikino H, Kabuto C 1981 Structure of methyl adenophorate and triphyllol, trierpenoids of Adenophora triphylla var. japonica roots. Planta Med 42(7):268-274. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-971639
- Kuang HX, Shao CJ, Kasai R, Ohtani K, Tanaka O 1991 Phenolic glycosides from roots of Adenophora tetraphylla collected in Heilongjiang. China Chem Pharm Bull 39(9): 2440-2442. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.39.2440
- Lee HJ, Kim DY, Jang JC 1999. Antioxidant effects of korean red ginseng components on the antioxidant enzymes activity and lipid peroxidation in the liver of mouse treated with paraquat. J Ginseng Res 23(3):182-189.
- Lee JH, Lee JH, Lee KT 2014 Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of samgyetang retorted at different F0 values during storage at room temperature. Korean J Food Preserv 21(4):491-499. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.4.491
- Lee SY, Park JY, Hyun JM, Jung S, Jo C, Nam KC 2018 Comparative analysis of meat quality traits of new strains of native chickens for Samgyetang. Korean J Poult Sci 45(3):175-182. https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2018.45.3.175
- Lee YE, Hong SH 2004 Traditional Oriental Medicine Food Material. Kyomunsa, Seoul. Pages 161-162.
- Lim KH 1971 A Medicinal Phytology (The details). Dongmyoungsa Press, Seoul, Korea. Page 281.
- Lorenzo JM, Pateiro M, Dominguez R, Barba FJ, Putnik P, Kovacevic DB, Shpigelman A, Granato D, Franco D 2018 Berries extracts as natural antioxidants in meat products: A review. Food Res Int 106(1):1095-1104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.12.005
- Maeng YS, Park HK 1991 Antioxidant activity of ethanol extract from Deodok (Codonopsis lanceolata). Korean J Food Sci Technol 23(3):311-316.
- Noh JR, Kim YH, Gang GT, Yang KJ, Kim SK, Ryu SY, Kim YS, Lee CH, Lee HS 2010 Preventative effects of Platycodon grandiflorum treatment on hepatic steatosis in high fat diet-fed C57BL/6 mice. Biol Pharm Bull 33(3): 450-454. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.33.450
- Park SJ, Park DS, Kim SS, He X, Ahn JH, Yoon WB, Lee HY 2010 The effect of fermented Codonopsis lanceolata on the memory impairment of mice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39(11):1691-1694. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.11.1691
- Ryu HS 2008 Effects of Codonopsis lanceloata extracts on mouse immune cell activation. Korean J Food Nutr 21(3):263-268.
- Ryu JY, Song YW, Moon JY, Jun MJ, Kim SM 2017 Antioxidant activities of soymilk added with green tea and rosemary extract. Korean J Food Preserv 24(6):871-878. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2017.24.6.871
- Tarladgis BG, Watts BM, Younathan MT, Dugan LR 1960 A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in rancid foods. J Am Oil Chem Soc 37(1):44-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630824
- Triyannanto E, Lee KT 2015 Effects of emulsifiers, precooking and washing treatments on the quality of retorted ginseng chicken soup. J Food Process Preserv 39(6):1770-1777. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.12409
- Wang ZT, Ma GY, Tu PF, Xu GJ, Ng TB 1995 Chemotaxonomic study of Codonopsis (Family Campanulaceae) and its related genera. Biochem Syst Ecol 23(7-8):809-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-1978(95)00082-8