- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Review of Bee Venom Acupuncture for Spinal Diseases in the Journal of Korean Medicine
국내 임상연구 문헌고찰을 통한 척추 질환의 봉약침요법 응용례 분석
Lee, Yujin;Won, Jee-Yeong;Nam, Suhyun;Kim, Changwan;Jeon, Gyeong-Ryung;Cho, Junho
- Received : 2019.06.10
- Accepted : 2019.07.04
- Published : 2019.07.31
Objectives This review aims to analyze the current research trend in the usage of bee venom (BV) acupuncture for spinal diseases. Methods We collected 80 articles on BV acupuncture clinical study for spinal diseases by searching Korean web databases 'Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation', 'Oriental Medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System', 'Korean Traditional Knowledge Portal' from 1999 to 2018. Results We summarized the most frequent clinical treatment methods of BV acupuncture. 1. Herniated intervertebral disc was treated for 40% and the treated spinal diseases were various. 2. '1:10,000' in the type of BV was chosen for 21%. 3. 29% of studies used 6-7 acupoints per session and 23% of studies used 'BL' as the injection site. 3. The highest volume of injected BV into each acupoint was 0.1 cc for 34% and the highest total volume of injected BV was 1.0 cc for 39%. Conclusions We found the limited evidence on the lack of consensus and detailed description in the reported experimental design. The results in this review suggest that future works should focus on more consistent and systematic study for the reproducible and standardized treatment methods.
Spinal diseases;Intervertebral disc displacement;Bee venom;Review
- Lee SG, In CS. A case report of bee acupuncture therapy on ankylosing spondylitis. Journal of Korean Institute of Herbal-Acupuncture. 1999;2(1):39-49.
- Chae WS, Kim YS. Clinical studies on the effects of the electrical acupuncture stimulation therapy of low back pain in lumbar spondylosis. The Acupuncture. 1989;1(6):113-28.
- Na CS, Lee EJ, Hwang UJ, Won JS. Diagnosis and treatment of face and head, spine, limbs diseases. 1st ed. Seoul:Daeseong Munhwasa. 1995:123.
- Heo J. JungKyo-Dong-uibogam. 1st ed. Seoul:Hanmi Medical Publishing Company. 2001:360.
- Textbook Compilation Committee of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. The acupuncture and moxibustion medicine. 1st ed. Seoul:Jipmoondang. 2014:524.
- Heo J. Dong-uibogam. 1st ed. Seoul:Namsandang. 1987:278-81.
- Park JW, Heo DS, Yoon IJ, Oh MS. An analysis of the study tendency on bee venom. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2006;16(2):31-52.
- Korean Institute of Pharmacopuncture Science Committee. Pharmacopuncturology. 2nd. Seoul:Elsevier Korea LLC. 2008:191-201.
- Chun BR. Sample size determination. J Pharmacopuncture. 1994;2(2):72-3.
- Shin HY, Lee SM, Kim JH, Kim SJ, Choi YJ, Jung TY, Kim JS, Lim SC, Lee YK, Lee BH, Lee KM. Comparative study of effects on intracutaneous bee venom pharmacopuncture and intramuscular bee venom pharmacopuncture in lumbar disc herniation. The Acupuncture. 2011;28(3):1-11.
- Byun IJ, Lee SN, Ahn KH, Song WS, Kwon SJ, Kang MS, Song HS, Kim KH. A clinical observation on the case of cauda equina syndrome with bladder incontinence using Korean bee-venom acupuncture. The Acupuncture. 2002;19(6):205-13.
- Lim SY, Kim SW, Kim TH, Jung SY, Cho YC, Kim CS. A case of urinary incontinence patients after having an vertebrae lumbales operation. J Pharmacopuncture. 2003;6(2):119-25. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2003.6.2.119
- Park GN, Kim SY, Kim ES, Kim JH, Kim YI. The effect of complex Korean medical treatment on spinal cord infarction: a case report. The Acupuncture. 2016; 33(2):189-200.
- Lee YE, Kim JS, Lee YK, Lim SC, Lee HJ. Case report on the 2 cases of patients with vascular disease of spinal cord. The Acupuncture. 2013;30(3):141-53. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2013014
- Neumann D. Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system. 2nd ed. Seoul:Elsevier Korea LLC. 2011:320-5.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:35, 51-83.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. The medical expenses statistical index of 2017. 2018:16, 21.
- Lee CH, Chung CK, Kim CH, Kwon JW. Health care burden of spinal diseases in the Republic of Korea: analysis of a nationwide database from 2012 through 2016. Neurospine. 2018;15(1):68.
- Esses S. Textbook of spinal disorders. 1st ed. Seoul: Koonja Publishing. 2008:137-67.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:83.
- Korean Institute of Pharmacopuncture Science Committee. Pharmacopuncturology. 2nd ed. Seoul:Elsevier Korea LLC. 2008:23-6, 167-81.
- Lee HS, Lee JD, Koh HK. The review on the study of bee venom in the domestic papers. The Acupuncture. 2003;20(3):154-65.
- Youn HM. The clinical observation of anaphylaxis on bee-venom acupuncture. The Acupuncture. 2005;22(4):179-88.
- Hwang TJ, Lee SB, Gwon GR. An experimental study on production of egg yolk antibody (IgY) against bee venom. Journal of Korean Institute of Herbal-Acupuncture. 2001;4(2):5-15.
- Kwon KR, Kang JC. The clinical studies to developing BV partner. J Pharmacopuncture. 2002;3(4):93-9.
- Sin MS, Seol H, Yook TH. The comparative study of bee venom and BV partner on D.I.T.I. The Acupuncture. 2003;20(2):68-76.
- Kwon KR, Choi SH, Cha BC. Component analysis of sweet BV and clinical trial on antibody titer and allergic reactions. J Pharmacopuncture. 2006;2(9):79-86.
- Chung HJ, Lee JH, Shin JS, Kim MR, Lee JW, Kim EJ, Lee IH, Kim WK, Lee YJ, Lee SK, Ha IH. In vitro and in vivo anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory effects of eBV, a newly developed derivative of bee venom, through modulation of IRF3 signaling pathway in carrageenan-induced edema model. PLoS ONE. 2016;11(12):1-21.
- Kim HJ, Kim MS, Park YJ, Lee EY. The effect of magnetic therapy on the allergic reaction of bee venom. The Acupuncture. 2004;21(6):187-94.
- Kim HJ, Ji YS, Lee SM, Jeon JH, Kim YI. A systematic review of clinical study of bee venom acupuncture. The Acupuncture. 2013;30(4):151-9.
- Lee YS, Lee YJ, Han CH. The review on the randomized controlled clinical trials of bee venom in the journal of korean medicine. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2013;3(23):87-106.
- Han CH, Lee YS, Sung SH, Lee BH, Shin HY, Lee YJ. Trend analysis of the research on bee venom acupuncture in South Korea, based on published articles. J Korean Med. 2015;36(4):80-103. https://doi.org/10.13048/jkm.15036
- Gu JH, Kim ES, Park YC, Jung IC, Lee EJ. A systematic review of bee venom acupuncture for knee osteoarthritis. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2017;27(3):47-60. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2017.27.3.47
- Gu JH, Li YC, Jo DC, Lee EJ. A systematic review of bee venom acupuncture for ankle sprain. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2018;28(3):55-66. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2018.28.3.55
- Lee JE, Lee CH, Lee EJ, Lee JM, Oh MS. Systematic review of bee venom therapy for traumatic injury. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2016;26(3):67-77.
- Lee BC. Clinical study of oriental medicine treatment with bee venom therapy of the extrusion type of herniated disc patient. The Acupuncture. 1999;2(16):285-93.
- Kim JH, Lee JD. Assesment of bee-venom acupuncture effect on herniated disc patients by rating scale. J Korean Med. 1999;2(20):200-7.
- Lee SH, Kang HR, Kim JH, Park SH, Kim CH, Hwang YI, Jang SH, Kim DG, Jung KS. A fatal case of bee venom anaphylaxis to bee sting after repeated honeybee acupuncture. Korean J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;28(4):313-6.
- Muller HL. Diagnosis and treatment of insect sensitivity. J Asthma. 1966;3(4):331-3. https://doi.org/10.3109/02770906609106941
- Lee YC, Nam DJ, Huh G, Lee JE, Kim B, Song EM, Lee EJ, Lee JM, Oh MS. The comparative study on the effect of HWANGRYUNHAEDOKTANG pharmacopuncture and essential bee venom pharmacopuncture for cervical pain caused by traffic accidents: a randomized controlled trial. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2014;24(4):146.