- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Herbal Medicine for Frozen Shoulder
동결견의 한약 치료에 대한 체계적 문헌고찰 및 메타분석
Oh, Tae-Young;Kim, Yeon-Hee;Oh, Eun-Mi;Hong, Su-Min;Ha, Hyun-Ju;Lee, Eun-Jung;Oh, Min-Seok
- Received : 2019.06.13
- Accepted : 2019.07.03
- Published : 2019.07.31
Objectives The objective of this study is to provide the evidence of the effectivness of herbal medicine for frozen shoulder. Methods 2 Korean medical on-line databases (Oriental Medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System, Korean Traditional Knowledge), and 3 foreign databases (Pubmed, Cochrane library, China National Knowledge Infrastructure) were searched to find articles concerning herbal medicine for frozen shoulder. We selected randomized controlled trials (RCTs). Several repeated articles and those not relevant to the topic were excluded, as well as review articles and commentaries. The methodological quality of RCTs were evaluated using the Cochrane risk of bias tool and meta-analyes were perfomed. Results Total 474 studies were founded and 22 RCTs were selected for systematic review. Efficiency rate was used as the primary evaluation method. Almost studies reported that herbal medicine has significant effect on pain reduction, increasing shoulder function on frozen shoulder. 3 studies comparing herbal medicine and chuna with chuna and 3 studies comparing herbal medicine with ibuprofen were included in the meta-analysis. At herbal medicine and chuna with chuna meta-analysis, it showed positive results of herbal medicine for efficiency rate (risk ratio: 1.18, 95% confidence interval: 1.09-1.27, p<0.0001). At herbal medicine with ibuprofen medta-analysis, it showed positive results of herbal medicine for efficiency rate (risk ratio: 1.15, 95% confidence interval: 1.05-1.27, p=0.003). Conclusions The studies showed that herbal medicine can significantly effective on frozen shoulder. However, the risk of bias in RCTs were evaluated as uncertain. In the future, further well-designed RCTs are needed to prove the effectiveness of herbal medicine for frozen shoulder and reduce the risk of bias.
Herbal medicine;Frozen shoulder;Korean medicine;Systematic review;Meta-analysis
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedices. Seoul:The Newest Medicine Company, 2013.
- Lee JH, Koo BH, Kim MJ, Seok KH, Ryu SH, Lee SY, Kim HK, Yu DW, Park YC, Seo BK, Baek YH. Analysis of treatment outcomes for idiopathic and secondary frozen shoulder with traditional Korean medicine: a retrospective study. Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2015;32(4):177-86. https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2015.031
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Department of rehabilitation medicine of Korean medicine. 4th ed. Soeul:Koonja Publishing. 2005.
- Nam DW, Kim HB, Yang DH, Yim SB, Kim KS, Lee DI, Lee JD, Choi DY, Lee YH. Comparison research of clinical effect of eastern and western medical treatment on frozen shoulder patients. Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2006;23(5):105-13.
- Lee H, Hong KE, Kim YI, Yim YK, Ahn TW, Kang WC Choi SM. A clinical trial of acupuncture treatment for frozen shoulder. Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2006;23(1):165-77.
- Yoon YH, Kim HJ, Lee EY, Kim HJ. Clinical study on effect of Carthmi-Flos herbal acupuncture therapy on frozen shoulder. Korea Institue of Oriental Medicine. 2004;7(1):63-75.
- Lee JS, You CG, Jung SS, Moon SI. A review of fire needling on frozen shoulder: focusing on Chinese journals. Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2013; 30(3):87-99.
- Son JH, Yim HJ, Lee WH, Jung BJ, Han SH, Sung SM, Moon SI. The effect of electroacupuncture therapy with the shoulder pain of frozen shoulder patients analyzed by visual analogue scale. Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2005;22(4):27-34.
- Yuk DI, Song I, Ko MK, Sung IS, Kim MJ, Lee JW, Oh YS, Jo JH, Kang WC, Hong KE. Five cases of frozen shoulder patients treated by acupotomy combined with oriental medical treatments. Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2012;29(5):167-76.
- National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. NECA, NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. 2011.
- Liang C. Clinical effect of Danggui-sini decoction of scapulohumeral periarthritis. Heilongjiang J TCM. 2017; 1(3):19-20.
- Zhang SH. Treatment of 20 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis with Gegen combined Dachaihu decoction. China's Nat. 2018;25(8):44-5.
- Li ZQ. Treatment of 680 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis with Danggui-sini decoction. Chinese Med. 2017; 20(178):172-3.
- Wang YF, Lu DP, Sun QF. Clinical observation of Danggui-sini decoction on the treatment of scapulohumeral periarthritis. Heibei J TCM. 2015;37(12):1839-42.
- Guo C. Clinical effect of traditional chinese medicine massage combined with Huangqi-duzhong decoction on scapulohumeral periarthritis. Heibei J TCM. 2016;38(5):758-61.
- Zhou YS, Qiu L, Ye HT, He ZM. Clinical effect of massage combined with Huangqi Eucommia Decoction in the treatment of periarthritis on shoulder joint. Drug Evaluation. 2016;13(15):42-4.
- Lin YS. Treatment of 48 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of Rougan Tongluo decoction. Guangxi J TCM. 2013;36(5):33.
- Li Q. Clinical observation on treating periarthritis of shoulder by the Yiqi Tongyang therapy. Clinical J CM. 2017;9(30):80-2.
- He J, Li LH, Wang HH, Yu W, He H. Clinical effect of Jianning decoction combined with manipulation of scapulohumeral periarthritis. J of TC Orth. 2014;26(2):49-50.
- Giu LX. Treatment of 98 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of Juanbi decoction. Chi J TMST. 2012;19(1):82-3.
- Luo RH, Chen XL. Treatment of 48 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of herbal medicine with acupuncture. Yunnan J TCM. 2008;29(6):34.
- Cao WZ. Treatment of 80 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of Shufeng Tong Bi decoction. Guiding J TCM. 2005;11(6):31-2.
- He J, Li LH, Ren XX, Yu W, He H. Treatment of 30 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of Juanbi decoction combined Liudouye. Jiangsu J TCM. 2013;45(1):44-5.
- Zhou QS. Clinical study of scapulohumeral periarthritis treated by jianb i decoction combined with manipulation. Chinese J Traum&Orthop. 2006;14:26-30.
- Cao YJ, Zhou BL. Treatment of 50 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of Danggui- jixueteng decoction. Human J TCM. 2010;26(1):32-3.
- Wu S, Huo ZG, Xing ZL. Clinical effect of 24 case of Jianning decoction for scapulohumeral periarthritis. Zhejiang J TCM. 2014;49(6):434-5.
- Ceng Y, Zhang XQ, Tan X, Su HX. Treatment of 20 case of scapulohumeral periarthritis of Danggui-jixueteng decoction. J Prac TCM. 2010;26(8):559.
- Tian JD, Quin LH. Clinical observation of Danggui-sini decoction for scapulohumeral periarthritis. J Nor Pha. 2018;15(11):89-90.
- Wei B, Wu H. Clinical observation of Du Huo Ji Sheng decoction with arthroscopy for scapulohumeral periarthritis. Modern TCM. 2018;38(4):56-8.
- Wang YJ. Analysis of clinical efficiency of combination therapy of small needle knife and DaqinjiuTang in treatment of periarthritis of shoulder. China Journal of Chinese Materis Medice. 2013;38(23):4164-7.
- Li Y. Clinical observation of Daqinjiaodecoction with manipulation for scapulohumeral periarthritis. Strait Pharm J. 2010;22(10):156-7.
- Yang HH. Clinical observation of angxue rougan decoction for scapulohumeral periarthritis in deficiency of qi and blood [dissertation]. Guangzhou:Guangzhou University;2010.