- Volume 29 Issue 3
Objectives This study aimed to review clinical studies about Korean medicine used in peroneal nerve palsy. Methods In 11 online databases (Earticle, Research Information Sharing Service, Oriental Medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System, KMbase, Korean Traditional Knowledge Portal, National Digital Science Library, MEDLINE/Pubmed, Ebscohost, Cochrane CENTRAL, EMBASE, China National Knowledge Infrastructure), we searched clinical studies about Korean medicine. Among the studies that we've searched, we excluded the studies that are not related to Korean medicine, case reports, randomized controlled trials and retrospective studies. As a result, 16 case studies and 1 randomized controlled trial are included. Results Total number of patients was 123. In these studies, acupuncture (100%), herbal medicine (58.8%), pharmacopuncture (58.8%), Korean physical therapy (58.8%), moxibustion (41.1%), cupping (41.1%) etc. were used. In acupuncture, GB34 and ST36 were most frequently used. Most of the herbal medicines used in these studies were different. Range of movement were most frequently used in outcome measure. Conclusions In this study, we reviewed studies about Korean medicine used in peroneal nerve palsy. It was difficult to clearly determine which intervention has improved the symptom. In the future, Further clinical studies will be needed to retain the evidence for the treatment of peroneal nerve palsy. And also more randomized controlled clinical trials to prove the efficacy of Korean medicine will be needed.
Peroneal nerve;Peroneal nerve paralysis;Korean traditional medicine
- The Korean Orthopedic Association. Orthopedics. 5th ed. Seoul:ChoiShin Medical Publishing Co. 1999:304-5.
- Katirji MB, Wilbourn AJ. Common peroneal mononeuropathy: a clinical and electrophysiologic study of 116 lesions. Neurology. 1988;38:1723-8. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.38.11.1723
- Jo DC, Lim GM, Lee JH, Park TY, Moon SJ, Kong JC, Ko YS, Song YS, Lee JH. Oriental medicine treatment for common peroneal neuropathy after traffic accidents; 2 cases report. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2012;22(3):235-42.
- Kim MS, Kim JH, Lee JY, Yeom SR, Kwon YD. Case report of Korean medical treatment on acute peroneal nerve palsy patient caused by prolonged immobilization. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2015;25(3):127-36. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.3.127
- Mnif H, Koubaa M, Zrig M, Zammel N, Abid A. Peroneal nerve palsy resulting from fibular head osteochondroma. Orthopedics. 2009;32:528. https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20090527-24
- Seon JK, Yang FEL, Young DK, Young SS. A clinical case study of common peroneal nerve palsy(foot drop) after natural childbirth. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2000;10:27-36.
- Yun HJ, Kim YK, Kim KN, Song YS, Song YK, Lim HH. A clinical case study of peroneal nerve palsy following total knee arthroplasty. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2001;11(2):209-17.
- Chu MG, Kim SJ, We J, Choi JB. A clinical case study of foot drop caused by common peroneal neuropathy (CPN). J Oriental Rehab Med. 2007;17(3):217-30.
- Bland JDP. Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle Nerve. 2007;36(2):167-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20802
- Yu KJ, Hwang GS, Lee JY, Lee EJ. A case report of Korean medicine treatment of chronic peroneal nerve palsy. J Int Korean Med. 2017;38:668-74. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2017.38.5.668
- Kim SH, Park MY, Lee SM, Lee SK, Lim JY, Kim SC. Case study of oriental medicine treatment with acupotomy therapy of the peroneal nerve palsy through ultrasound. Journal of Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14:87-96. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.1.087
- Jo NY, Roh JD. The effects of muscle energy technique (MET) for peroneal nerve palsy after normal delivery: a case report. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2016;29:46-56. https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2016.29.4.046
- Ryu HY, Lee H, Yoon KS, Oh SY, Kong HJ, Kang JH. A review of research on the treatment of peroneal nerve palsy by acupuncture and moxibustion. J Acupunct Res. 2018;35(2):52-60. https://doi.org/10.13045/jar.2018.00094
- Sato M, Katsumoto H, Kawamura K, Sugiyama H, Takahashi T. Peroneal nerve palsy following acupuncture treatment. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85(5):916-8. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200305000-00024
- Yang LJ, Liu YL, Wang SB, Jin ZG. Clinical observation on common peroneal nerve palsy treated with comprehensive therapy. Chinese Acupuncture & Moxibustion. 2014;34(4):334-6.
- Ning BL, Liang K, Li JJ, Gao WB. Electroacupuncture in the treatment of paralysis of common peroneal nerve: clinical observation of 35 cases. Journal of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion. 2012;28(1):34-5.
- Bai SX. Acupuncture for 24 cases of peroneal nerve palsy. World Journal of Acupuncture-Moxibustion. 2012;22(3):55-6.
- Kim SH, Park MY, Lee SM, Jeong HH, Park Se-W, Park OJ, Kim SC. The case report of common peroneal nerve palsy treated with musculoskeletal ultrasound- guided acupotomy therapy. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2012;29:177-85.
- Cho SG, Cheong BS, Yun HS, Lee JH, Lee SH, Seo DM, Lee JD. Clinical study on a case of axonotmesis of common peroneal mononeuropathy by using 3 times EMG studies. Journal of Pharmacopuncture. 2001;4:105-12.
- Kim SJ, Lim YE, Kwon YD, Song YS, A clinical case study of common peroneal nerve palsy (foot drop) after natural childbirth. J Oriental Renab Med. 2000; 10(2):27-36.
- Sul JU, Kim SJ, Jung SG, Choi JB, Kim JS. A clinical case study of bilateral common peroneal neuropathy (CPN) after prolonged squatting. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2005;15(3):177-85.
- Kim JA, Ji MJ, Won JH, An TEB, Kim DC. A clinical study on sitting cross-legged patient diagnosed as peroneal neuropathy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9:77-87.
- Kim MS, Lee JY, Yeom SR, Kwon YD. Case report of peroneal nerve palsy with foot drop treated with complex Korean medical treatment. J Physiol & Pathol Korean Med. 2016;30:360-65. https://doi.org/10.15188/kjopp.2016.10.30.5.360
- Choi JY, Kim SY, Lee DW, Kim KS. A case report on foot drop caused by common peroneal nerve palsy. J Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2004;15:149-53.
- World Health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office. Standard acupuncture nomenclature. Manila:World Health Organization. 1993.
- World Health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office. WHO international standard terminologies on traditional medicine in the western pacific region. Manila: World Health Organization. 2007.
- Society of Korean Medicine. Standard terminology of Korean medicine [cited 2016 oct 19]. Available from: HYPERLINK "http//cis.kiom.re.kr/terminology/search.do"http://cis.kiom.re.kr/terminology/search.do.
- Yang YG. The translation of Huangdi Neijing Suwen. Seoul:Yiljong. 1991:337-41.
- Hong WS. Exquisite Huangdi Neijing Suwen. Seoul: Institute of Oriental Medicine. 1985:14.
- Hwang JS, Lee JY, Park HS, Won SH, Kim DY, Kim SH. Case report of foot drop patient treated with electroacupuncture. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2005;22:161-6.
- Han SM, Hwang TJ, Kim HJ, Jung SG, Jo SM, Yu YC, Kim MD. Effect of combined acupuncture at Hefu (LI4), Taichong(LR3) and moxibustion at Shangwan (CV13), Zhongwan(CV12), Xiawan(CV10) on the serum gastrin level in rats. Korean J Oriental Physiology. 2005; 19(5):1238-42.
- The Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Textbook Compilation Committee. The acupuncture and moxibustion. 1st ed. Seoul:Jipmoondang. 2012:562, 636-7.
- Lee HG, Hong SY. A comparative study of clinical papers about pharmacopuncture in Korea and China: focusing on papers about musculoskeletal and nervous diseases. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2009;19(3):47-67.
- Park JM, Lee HS, Shin BC, Lee MS, Kim BR, Kim JI. Pharmacopuncture in Korea: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017;11:6-17.
- Kim YI. Comparison study acupuncture treatment with acupuncture & moxibustion combined treatment for frozen shoulder patients. Research Institute of Korean Medicine, Taejon University. 2006;15:1-7.
- Yoon WT, Lee TJ, Shin KJ, Kim BJ. Sural nerve involvement accompanying peroneal nerve palsy. Korean Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2004;6:31-4.