- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Clinical Study on 2 Cases of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy Treated by Korean Traditional Medicine
한의학적 치료를 통하여 호전을 보인 경추증성 척수증 환자 치험 2예
Lee, Tae-Geol;Kim, Kwang-Hwi;Kim, Tae-Yeon;Lee, Sang-Woon;Chu, Hui-Yeong;Kim, Ho;Lee, Sang-Gun;Choi, Jae-Yong;Choi, Kang-Eah;Cho, Hyun-Woo
- Received : 2019.06.13
- Accepted : 2019.07.04
- Published : 2019.07.31
Cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM) is a severe disease that usually needs surgical treatment. We have treated two CSM patients with Korean traditonal medicine, which includes acupuncture, pharmacopuncture, herbal medicine and manual treatment (Chuna). For objective evaluation, we used Nurick's classification, JOA (Japanses Orthopedic Association) score, grip and release test and hand grasping power measurement. Post-treatment analysis has shown that grip and release test score and grasping power of two patients were both remarkably improved, along with the improvements on both Nurick's classification and JOA score. This study showed that Korean traditional medicine could be effective conservative treatment for CSM.
Spondylosis;Spinal cord diseases;Acupuncture;Korean traditional medicine
- Jang H. Cervical spindylotic myelopathy. Journal of Korean Society of Spine Surgery. 1999;6(2):194-200.
- Zdenek K, Josef B, Oldrich N, Igor U, Ladislav D. Cervical spondylotic myelopathy: conservative versus surgical treatment after 10 years. Eur Spine J. 2011;20(9):1533-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-011-1811-9
- Suk SI. Textbook of spinal surgery. 3rd ed. Seoul:Newest Medical Publishing Company. 2011:256-8.
- Korean Spinal Neurosurgery Society. The textbook of spine. 2nd ed. Seoul:Koonja Publishing. 2013:656.
- Byun DY, Lee GE, Roh JA, Kim HJ, Huh SW, Han SH. A review of the Korean traditional medicine for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2019;29(2):149-58.
- Lindsay KW, Bone I, Fuller G. Neurology and neurosurgery illustrated (Lee GW, Trans.) 5th ed. Seoul: Panmun Education. 2005:567-70. (Original work published in 1987).
- Mark H. Beers and Robert Berkow. The Merck manuals (Kang SY, Trans.) 17th ed. Seoul:Hanwoori. 2003:1594-5. (Original work published in 1899).
- Lee MJ, Kim KW, Nam JH, Han KW, Kim ES, Woo JH, Lee JS, Lee SJ. Clinical observation of the change with radiological view on cervical myelopathy patient treated by Korean medical treatments. The Joumal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2012;29(1):159-67.
- Kwon HY, Kim JH. Clinical study on a case of cervical myelopathy with additional scolopendrae corpus pharmacopuncture. Journal of Meridian and Acupoint. 2009;26(4):225-35.
- Kim JS, Cho JJ, Nam DW, Kang JW, Lee SH. Integrative Korean medicine as a possible conservative treatment for mild cervical spondylotic myelopathy One-year follow-up case report (CARE-compliant). Medicine. 2018;97(36):e12249. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000012249
- Nam JK, Lee MJ, Kim HJ. The clinical study on Hua-Tuo-Jia-Ji-Xue acupuncture treatment to neuropathic pain of patients with spinal cord injury. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2010;20(2):183-90.
- Bernard TN, Whitecloud TS. Cervical spondylotic myelopathy and myeloradiculopathy. Anterior decompression and stabilization with autogenous fibula strutgraft. Clin Orthop. 1987;221:149-60.
- Park EJ, Kim JH, Wui TS, Shin JC, Han SG, Ryu CR, Yoo YC, Chae WS, Cho MR. Clinical study on a case of Wei symptom with cervical myelopathy. The Journal of Clinical Thesis Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(6):78-93.
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. Healthcare Bigdata System [Internet] 2019 [cited 2019 Feb 15]. Available from: http://opendata.hira.or.kr/op/opc/olap3thDsInfo.do.
- Rhee MJ, Shamji MF, Erwin WM, Bransford RJ, Yoon ST, Smith JS, Kim HJ, Ely CG, Dettori JR, Patel AA, Kalsi-Ryan S Nonoperative management of cervical myelopathy: a systematic review. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013;38:55-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3182a7f41d
- Yang S, Kwok YF. A case of chinese traditional medicine rehabilitation for patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Chinese Manipulation and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2019;10(1):66-8.
- Lai CB, Guo Q, Huang Y, Zie NX, Wang Q, Liu CQ. Traditional Chinese medicine comprehensive therapy in the conservative treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy for 18 cases. Chinese Medicine Modern Distance Education of China. 2018;16(4):129-30.
- Chang JH, Lee YJ, Park SK, Kim MC. A clinical study on 2 cases of cervical spondylotic myeloradiculopathy treated by iliopsoas muscle and upper trapezius muscle treatment. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2005;15(4):167-81.
- Choi JH, Lee SH, Kim SM, Kim HJ, Koo JS, Lee HH, Jung SH, Youn DW. Effects of Korean medical combination treatment for 102 cases of cervical disc herniation: an observational study. Journal of Acupuncture Research. 2016;33(2):11-20. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2016013