- Volume 71 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Span limit and parametric analysis of cable-stayed bridges
- Zhao, Xinwei (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Xiao, Rucheng (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Sun, Bin (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2018.11.08
- Accepted : 2019.04.02
- Published : 2019.08.10
The span record of cable-stayed bridges has exceeded 1,000 m, which makes research on the maximum possible span length of cable-stayed bridges an important topic in the engineering community. In this paper, span limit is discussed from two perspectives: the theoretical span limit determined by the strength-to-density ratio of the cable and girder, and the engineering span limit, which depends not only on the strength-to-density ratio of materials but also on the actual loading conditions. Closed form equations of both theoretical and engineering span limits of cable-stayed bridges determined by the cable and girder are derived and a detailed parametric analysis is conducted to assess the engineering span limit under current technical conditions. The results show that the engineering span limit of cable-stayed bridges is about 2,200 m based on materials used available today. The girder is the critical member restricting further increase in the span length; its compressive stress is the limiting factor. Approaches to increasing the engineering span limit are also presented based on the analysis results.
Supported by : Science and Technology Committee of Shanghai
- Cao, J., Ge, Y. and Yang, Y. (2009), "Structural static performance of cable-stayed bridges with super long spans", Computational Structural Engineering: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Computational Structural Engineering, Shanghai, June.
- Hassan, M.M., Damatty, E.A, and Nassef, A.O. (2014), "Database for the optimum design of semi-fan composite cable-stayed bridges based on genetic algorithms", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 11(8), 1054-1068. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2014.931976. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2014.931976
- Gimsing, N.J. (2005), "The modern cable-stayed bridge - 50 years of development from 1955 to 2005", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Innovation and Sustainability of Structures in Civil Engineering, Nanjing, November.
- Gimsing, N.J. and Georgakis, C.T. (2012), Cable Supported Bridges: Concept and Design, (3rd Edition), John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Chichester, United Kingdom.
- Kirkland, B. and Uy, B. (2015), "Behaviour and design of composite beams subjected to flexure and axial load", Steel Compos. Struct., 19(3), 615-633. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.3.615. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.3.615
- Leonhardt, F., and Zeller, W. (1991), "Past, present and future of cable-stayed bridges", Cable-stayed bridges-Recent developments and their future: Proceedings of the Seminar, Yokohama, December.
- Lewis, W.J. (2012), "A mathematical model for assessment of material requirements for cable supported bridges: implications for conceptual design", Eng. Struct., 42(9), 266-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.04.018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.04.018
- Nagai, M., Fujino, Y., Yamaguchi, H., and Iwasaki, E. (2004), "Feasibility of a 1,400 m span steel cable-stayed bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 9(5), 444-452. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(444). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(444)
- Sun, B., Zhang, L.W., Qin, Y.D., and Xiao, R.C. (2016), "Economic performance of cable supported bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 59(4), 621-652. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.4.621. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.4.621
- Tang, M.C. (2014), "Concept of a bridge across the Taiwan Strait", Proceedings of the 10th Conference on Bridge and Tunnel Connection across the Taiwan Strait, Fuzhou, November.
- Tang, M.C. (2017), "Super-long span bridges", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 13(6), 722-730. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2016.1187635. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2016.1187635
- Virlogeux, M. (1999), "Recent evolution of cable-stayed bridges", Eng. Struct., 21(8), 737-755. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00028-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00028-5
- Wang, B.H. (2002), "Extreme span length of cable-stayed bridge", Highway, 3(3), 38-48.
- Wu, X.G. (1996), "Analysis on limit span of cable-stayed bridges", J. Chongqing Jiaotong Institute, 15(3), 36-38.
- Xiao, R.C. (2016), Bridge Structural Systems, S.K. Kataria and Sons, New Delhi, India.
- Xiong, W., Cai, C.S., Zhang, Y., and Xiao, R.C. (2011). "Study of super long span cable-stayed bridges with CFRP components", Eng. Struct., 33(2), 330-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.10.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.10.013
- Zhang, Y.Y. (2013), "Limitation span of self-anchored cablestayed bridge", J. Chongqing Jiaotong U, 32(2), 177-182.