- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Numerical and analytical study on initial stiffness of corrugated steel plate shear walls in modular construction
- Deng, En-Feng (School of Civil Engineering, Zhengzhou University) ;
- Zong, Liang (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University / Key Laboratory of Coast Civil Structure Safety (Tianjin University), Ministry of Education) ;
- Ding, Yang (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University / Key Laboratory of Coast Civil Structure Safety (Tianjin University), Ministry of Education)
- Received : 2019.01.15
- Accepted : 2019.03.27
- Published : 2019.08.10
Modular construction has been increasingly used for mid-to-high rise buildings attributable to the high construction speed, improved quality and low environmental pollution. The individual and repetitive room-sized module unit is usually fully finished in the factory and installed on-site to constitute an integrated construction. However, there is a lack of design guidance on modular structures. This paper mainly focuses on the evaluation of the initial stiffness of corrugated steel plate shears walls (CSPSWs) in container-like modular construction. A finite element model was firstly developed and verified against the existing cyclic tests. The theoretical formulas predicting the initial stiffness of CSPSWs were then derived. The accuracy of the theoretical formulas was verified by the related numerical and test results. Furthermore, parametric analysis was conducted and the influence of the geometrical parameters on the initial stiffness of CSPSWs was discussed and evaluated in detail. The present study provides practical design formulas and recommendations for CSPSWs in modular construction, which are useful to broaden the application of modular construction in high-rise buildings and seismic area.
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of Tianjin
- ABAQUS (2013), User manual Version 6.13; DS SIMULIA Corp., Providence, RI, USA.
- ATC-24 (1992), Guidelines for Cyclic Seismic Testing of Components of Steel Structures; Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, CA, USA.
- Bagherinejad, M.H. and Haghollahi, A. (2018), "Topology optimization of steel plate shear walls in the moment frames", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 29(6), 771-783. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.29.6.771
- Bahrebar, M., Kabir, M.Z., Zirakian, T., Hajsadeghi, M. and Lim, J.P.B. (2016), "Structural performance assessment of trapezoidally-corrugated and centrally-perforated plate shear walls", J. Constr. Steel Res., 122, 584-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.03.030 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.03.030
- Barakat, S. and Leblouba, M. (2018), "Experimental and analytical study on the shear strength of corrugated web steel beams", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 28(2), 251-266. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2018.28.2.251
- Deng, E.F., Yan, J.B., Ding, Y., Zong, L., Li, Z.X. and Dai, X.M. (2017), "Analytical and numerical studies on steel columns with novel connections in modular construction", Int. J. Steel Struct., 17(4), 1613-1626. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-017-1226-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-017-1226-5
- Deng, E.F., Zong, L., Ding, Y., Dai, X.M., Lou, N. and Chen, Y. (2018a), "Monotonic and cyclic response of bolted connections with welded cover plate for modular steel construction", Eng. Struct., 167, 407-419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.04.028 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.04.028
- Deng, E.F., Zong, L., Ding, Y. and Luo, Y.B. (2018b), "Seismic behavior and design of cruciform bolted module-to-module connection with various reinforcing details", Thin-Wall. Struct., 133, 106-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2018.09.033 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2018.09.033
- Ding, Y., Deng, E.F., Zong, L., Dai, X.M., Lou, N. and Chen, Y. (2017), "Cyclic tests on corrugated steel plate shear walls with openings in modularized-construction", J. Constr. Steel Res., 138, 675-691. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.08.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.08.019
- Ding, Y., Deng, E.F., Zong, L., Dai, X.M., Lou, N. and Chen, Y. (2018), "Experimental study on seismic performance of corrugated steel plate shear wall in modular steel construction", J. Build. Eng., 39(12), 110-118. https://doi.org/10.14006/j.jzjgxb.2018.12.013
- Emami, F., Mofid, M. and Vafai, A. (2013), "Experimental study on cyclic behavior of trapezoidally corrugated steel shear walls", Eng. Struct., 48, 750-762. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.028 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.028
- Eurocode (2003), Design of Steel Structures; Part 1.5: Plated Structural elements, European Committee for Standardization; Brussels, Belgium.
- Farnsworth, D. (2014), "Modular tall building design at Atlantic Yards B2", Proceedings of CTBUH 2014 international conference, Shanghai, China, pp. 492-499.
- Farzampour, A., Laman, J.A. and Mofid, M. (2015), "Behavior prediction of corrugated steel plate shear walls with openings", J. Constr. Steel Res., 114, 258-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.07.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.07.018
- Giriunas, K., Sezen, H. and Dupaix, R.B. (2012), "Evaluation, modelling, and analysis of shipping container building structures", Eng. Struct., 43, 48-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.05.001
- GB 50011-2010 (2010), Code for seismic design of buildings. China Architecture & Building Press, Beijing, China.
- JGJ/T 380-2015 (2015), Technical Specification for Steel Plate Shear Walls; China Architecture & Building Press, Beijing, China.
- Kim, J.Y. and Lee, J.K. (2014), "A basic study on the application of modular construction", J. Korean Hou. Asso., 25(4), 39-46. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2014.25.4.039 https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2014.25.4.039
- Lawson, R.M., Ray, O. and Chris, G. (2014), Design in Modular Construction, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Liu, Y. (2013), "Experimental research on shear and wind resistance of container house siding", Master Dissertation; Tianjin University, Tianjin, China.
- Liu, S.P. and Zhang, Y.M. (2016), Structural Mechanics, Tianjin University Press, Tianjin, China.
- Luo, R., and Edlund, B. (1996), "Shear capacity of plate girders with trapezoidally corrugated webs", Thin-Wall. Strcut., 26(1), 19-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(96)00006-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(96)00006-7
- Park, H.K. and Ock, J.H. (2015), "Unit modular in-fill construction method for high-rise buildings", KSCE J. Civ. Eng., 20(4), 1201-1210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-015-0198-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-015-0198-2
- Park, K.S., Moon, J.H., Lee S.S., Bae K.W. and Roeder, C.W. (2016), "Embedded steel column-to-foundation connection for a modular structural system", Eng. Struct., 110, 244-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.11.034 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.11.034
- Qiu, J., Zhao, Q.H., Yu, C. and Li, Z.X. (2018), "Experimental Studies on Cyclic Behavior of Corrugated Steel Plate Shear Walls", J. Struct. Eng., 144(11), p. 04018200. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002165 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002165
- Tong, J.Z. and Guo, Y.L. (2015), "Elastic buckling behaviour of steel trapezoidal corrugated shear walls with vertical stiffeners", Thin-Wall. Struct., 95, 31-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.06.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2015.06.005
- Yu, Y.J. and Chen, Z.H. (2018), "Rigidity of corrugated plate sidewalls and its effect on the modular structural design", Eng. Struct., 175, 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.08.039 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.08.039
- Zuo, Y. and Zha, X.X. (2017), "FEM and experimental study on mechanical property of container building with holes", Int. J. Steel Struct., 17(1), 175-194. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-015-0132-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-015-0132-y