- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental study of rockburst under true-triaxial gradient loading conditions
- Liu, Xiqi (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Wuhan University of Technology) ;
- Xia, Yuanyou (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Wuhan University of Technology) ;
- Lin, Manqing (School of Xingfa Mining Engineering, Wuhan Institute of Technology) ;
- Benzerzour, Mahfoud (Institute Mines-Telecom Lille Douai)
- Received : 2019.03.04
- Accepted : 2019.07.15
- Published : 2019.08.10
Due to the underground openings, the tangentially concentrated stress of the tunnel remains larger at excavation boundary and decreases toward the interior of the surrounding rock with a certain gradient. In order to study the effect of different gradient stress on rockburst, the true-triaxial gradient and hydraulic-pneumatic combined test apparatus were carried out to simulate the rockburst processes. Under the different gradient stress conditions, the rock-like specimen (gypsum) was tested independently through three principal stress directions loading--fast unloading of single surface--top gradient and hydraulic-pneumatic combined loading, which systematically analyzed the macro-mesoscopic damage phenomena, force characteristics and acoustic emission (AE) signals of the specimen during rockburst. The experimental results indicated that the rockburst test under the gradient and hydraulic-pneumatic combined loading conditions could perfectly reflect the rockburst processes and their stress characteristics; Relatively high stress loading could cause specimen failure, but could not determine its mode. The rockburst under the action of gradient stress suggested that the failure mode of specimen mainly depended on the stress gradient. When the stress gradient was lower, progressive and static spalling failure occured and the rockburst grades were relatively slight. On the other hand, shear fractures occurred in rockbursts accounted for increasingly large proportion as the stress gradient increased and the rockburst occurred more intensely and suddenly, the progressive failure process became unconspicuous, and the rockburst grades were moderate or even stronger.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Wuhan Institute of Technology Science, Central Universities
- Akdag, S. Karakus, M., Taheri, A., Nguyen, G.D. and He, M.C. (2018), "Effects of thermal damage on strain burst mechanism for brittle rocks under true-triaxial loading conditions", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 51(6), 1657-1682. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-018-1415-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-018-1415-3
- Brown, E.T. and Hoek, E. (1978), "Trends in relationships between measured in-situ, stresses and depth", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 15(4), 211-215. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/0148-9062(78)91227-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(78)91227-5
- Bruning, T., Karakus, M., Akdag, S., Nguyen, G.D. and Goodchild, D. (2018), "Influence of deviatoric stress on rockburst occurrence: An experimental study", Int. J. Min. Sci. Technol., 28(5), 50-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2018.08.005.
- Bruning, T., Karakus, M., Akdag, S., Nguyen, G.D. and Goodchild, D. (2018), "Experimental study on the damage evolution of brittle rock under triaxial confinement with full circumferential strain control", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 51(11), 3321-3341. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-018-1537-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-018-1537-7
- Bruning, T., Karakus, M., Nguyen, G.D. and Goodchild, D. (2019), "An experimental and theoretical stress-strain-damage correlation procedure for constitutive modelling of granite", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 116, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2019.03.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2019.03.003
- Cai, M. and Champaigne, D. (2012), "Influence of bolt-grout bonding on MCB conebolt performance", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 49(1), 165-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.11.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.11.006
- Diederichs, M.S., Kaiser, P.K. and Eberhardt, E. (2004), "Damage initiation and propagation in hard rock during tunnelling and the influence of near-face stress rotation", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 41(5), 785-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2004.02.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2004.02.003
- Fulawka, K., Pytel, W. and Mertuszka, P. (2018), "The effect of selected rockburst prevention measures on seismic activity-Case study from the Rudna copper mine", J. Sustain. Min., 17(1), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsm.2018.03.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsm.2018.03.001
- Germanovich, L.N. and Dyskin, A.V. (2000), "Fracture mechanisms and instability of openings in compression", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 37(1), 263-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1365-1609(99)00105-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(99)00105-7
- Gong, Q.M., Yin, L.J., Wu, S.Y., Zhao, J. and Ting, Y. (2012), "Rock burst and slabbing failure and its influence on TBM excavation at headrace tunnels in Jinping II hydropower station", Eng. Geol., 124(4), 98-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.10.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.10.007
- Gattinoni, P., Pizzarotti, E.M. and Scesi, L. (2014), Engineering Geology for Underground Works, Springer Netherlands, Milan, Italy.
- Gu, J.C., Fan, J.Q., Kong, F.L., Wang, K.T., Xu, J.M. and Wang, T. (2014), "Mechanism of ejective rockburst and model testing technology", Chin. J. Rock Mech. Eng., 33(6), 1081-1089 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1000-6915.2014.06.001.
- Ghasemi, E., Gholizadeh, H. and Adoko, A.C. (2019), "Evaluation of rockburst occurrence and intensity in underground structures using decision tree approach", Eng. Comput., 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00366-018-00695-9.
- He, M.C., Jia, X.N., Coli, M., Livi, E. and Sousa, L. (2012), "Experimental study of rockbursts in underground quarrying of Carrara marble", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 52, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2012.02.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2012.02.006
- He, M.C., E Sousa, L.R., Miranda, T. and Zhu, G.L. (2015), "Rockburst laboratory tests database-application of data mining techniques", Eng. Geol., 185, 116-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2014.12.008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2014.12.008
- Hauquin, T., Gunzburger, Y. and Deck, O. (2018), "Predicting pillar burst by an explicit modelling of kinetic energy", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 107, 159-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2018.05.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2018.05.004
- Ptacek, J. (2017), "Rockburst in ostrava-karvina coalfield", Procedia Eng., 191, 1144-1151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.05.289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.05.289
- Li, T., Ma, C., Zhu, M., Meng, L. and Chen, G. (2017), "Geomechanical types and mechanical analyses of rockbursts", Eng. Geol., 222, 72-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.03.011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.03.011
- Mazaira, A. and Konicek, P. (2015), "Intense rockburst impacts in deep underground construction and their prevention 1", Can. Geotech. J., 52(10), 1426-1439. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0359. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0359
- Manouchehrian, A. and Cai, M. (2016), "Simulation of unstable rock failure under unloading conditions", Can. Geotech. J., 53(4), 22-34. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2015-0126. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2015-0126
- Qiu, S.L., Feng, X.T., Zhang, C.Q. and Xiang, T.B. (2014), "Estimation of rockburst wall-rock velocity invoked by slab flexure sources in deep tunnels", Can. Geotech. J., 51(5), 520-539. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2013-0337. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2013-0337
- Roohollah, S.F. and Abbas, T. (2018), "Long-term prediction of rockburst hazard in deep underground openings using three robust data mining techniques", Eng. Comput., 35(2), 659-675. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00366-018-0624-4.
- Singh, A.K., Singh, R., Maiti, J., Kumar, R. and Mandal, P.K. (2011), "Assessment of mining induced stress development over coal pillars during depillaring", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 48(5), 805-818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.04.004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.04.004
- Stacey, T.R. (2016), "Addressing the consequences of dynamic rock failure in underground excavations", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 49(10), 4091-4101. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-016-0922-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-016-0922-3
- Song, D.Z., Wang, E.Y., Li, Z.H., Qiu, L.M. and Xu, Z.Y. (2017), "Emr: an effective method for monitoring and warning of rock burst hazard", Geomech. Eng., 12(1), 53-69. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2017.12.1.053. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2017.12.1.053
- Tan, Y.L., Liu, X.S. Shen, B., Ning, J.G. and Gu, Q.H. (2018), "New approaches to testing and evaluating the impact capability of coal seam with hard roof and/or floor in coal mines", Geomech. Eng., 14(4), 367-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2018.14.4.367. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2018.14.4.367
- Wang, C.L., Chuai, X.S., Shi, F., Gao, A.S. and Bao, T.C. (2018), "Experimental investigation of predicting rockburst using Bayesian model", Geomech. Eng., 15(6), 1153-1160. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2018.15.6.1153. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2018.15.6.1153
- Xiao, Y.X., Feng, X.T., Li, S.J., Feng, G.L. and Yu, Y. (2016), "Rock mass failure mechanisms during the evolution process of rockbursts in tunnels", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 83, 174-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2016.01.008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2016.01.008
- Yan, P., Zhao, Z., Lu, W., Fan, Y., Chen, X.R. and Shan, Z.G. (2015), "Mitigation of rock burst events by blasting techniques during deep-tunnel excavation", Eng. Geol., 188(1), 126-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2015.01.011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2015.01.011