- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A comprehensive optimization model for integrated solid waste management system: A case study
- Paul, Koushik (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, BIT Mesra) ;
- Chattopadhyay, Subhasish (Solid Waste Management Department, Kolkata Municipal Corporation and Civil Engineering Department, Jadavpur University) ;
- Dutta, Amit (Civil Engineering Department, Jadavpur University) ;
- Krishna, Akhouri P. (Remote Sensing Department, BIT Mesra) ;
- Ray, Subhabrata (Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2018.04.04
- Accepted : 2018.07.15
- Published : 2019.12.27
Solid waste management (SWM) is one of the poorly rendered services in developing countries - limited resources, increasing population, rapid urbanization and application of outdated systems leads to inefficiency. Lack of proper planning and inadequate data regarding solid waste generation and collection compound the SWM problem. Decision makers need to formulate solutions that consider multiple goals and strategies. Given the large number of available options for SWM and the inter-relationships among these options, identifying SWM strategies that satisfy economic or environmental objectives is a complex task. The paper develops a mathematical model for a municipal Integrated SWM system, taking into account waste generation rates, composition, transportation modes, processing techniques, revenues from waste processing, simulating waste management as closely as possible. The constraints include those linking waste flows and mass balance, processing plants capacity, landfill capacity, transport vehicle capacity and number of trips. The linear programming model integrating different functional elements was solved by LINGO optimization software and various possible waste management options were considered during analysis. The model thus serves as decision support tool to evaluate various waste management alternatives and obtain the least-cost combination of technologies for handling, treatment and disposal of solid waste.
- Hoornweg D, Bhada-Tata. What a waste: A global review of Solid Waste Management (Urban Development Series Knowledge Papers March 2012 No 15). Washington: World Bank; 2012.
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). Status report on Municipal Solid Waste Management. New Delhi: CPCB, Govt. of India; 2012.
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). Consolidated annual review report on implementation of Municipal Solid Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 2000. New Delhi: CPCB, Govt. of India; 2015.
- Planning Commission. Report of the task force on waste to energy (Volume I). New Delhi: Govt. of India; 2014.
- Department of Economic Affairs. Position paper on the solid waste management sector in India. New Delhi: Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India; 2009.
- Bhide AD, Shekdar AV. Solid waste management in Indian urban centers. Int. Solid Waste Assoc. (ISWA) Times 1998;1:26-28.
- Shekdar AV. Municipal solid waste management - The Indian perspective. J. Indian Assoc. Environ. Manage. 1999;26:100-108.
- Imura H, Yedla S, Shinirakawa H, Memon AM. Urban environmental issues and trends in Asia - An overview. Int. Rev. Environ. Strat. 2005;5:357-382.
- Sharholy M, Ahmad K, Mahmood G, Trivedi RC. Municipal solid waste management in Indian cities - A review. Waste Manage. 2008;28:459-467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2007.02.008
- Annepu RK. Sustainable solid waste management in India [dissertation]. New York: Columbia University Earth Engineering Center; 2012.
- Tchobanoglous G, Theisen H, Vigil SA. Integrated solid waste management: Engineering principles and management issues. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1993.
- USEPA website. Overview of greenhouse gases [Internet]. [cited on 15 June 2016]. Available from: https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange /ghgemissions/gases/ch4.html.
- El-Fadel M, Angelos NF, Leckie JO. Environmental impacts of solid waste landfilling. J. Environ. Manage. 1997;50:1-25. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.1995.0131
- Talyan V, Dahiya RP, Anand S, Sreekrishnan TR. Quantification of methane emission from municipal solid waste disposal in Delhi. Resour. Conserv. Recy. 2007;50:240-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.06.002
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme). Developing integrated solid waste management plan - Training manual. Volume 4: ISWM plan; Osaka/Shiga, Japan: UNEP; 2009.
- ISWA. Solid waste: Guidelines for successful planning. Vienna: ISWA; 2012.
- Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation (CPHEEO). Manual on municipal solid waste management. New Delhi: Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India; 2000.
- Anderson LE. A mathematical model for the optimization of a waste management system SERPL Rep. No. 68-1. Berkeley, C.A.: Sanitary Engineering Research Laboratory, University of California; 1968.
- Rawal N, Singh RM, Vaishya RC. Optimal management methodology for solid wastes in urban areas. J. Hazard. Toxic Radioact. Waste 2012;16:26-38. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HZ.2153-5515.0000104
- Rathi S. Optimisation model for integrated municipal solid waste management in Mumbai, India. Environ. Dev. Econ. 2007;12:105-121. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1355770X0600341X
- CIWMB (California Integrated Waste Management Board). Disposal cost fee study: Final report. Boston, M.A.: Tellus Institute; 1991.
- Najm AM, El-Fadel M, Ayoub G, El-Taha M, Al-Awar F. An optimisation model for regional integrated solid waste management I. Model formulation. Waste Manage. Res. 2002;20:37-45. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X0202000105
- Daskalopoulos E, Badr O, Probert SD. An integrated approach to municipal solid waste management. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 1998;24:33-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(98)00031-7
- Najm AM, El-Fadel M. Computer-based interface for an integrated solid waste management optimization model. Environ. Modell. Softw. 2004;19:1151-1164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2003.12.005
- Costi P, Minciardi R, Robba M, Rovatti M, Sacile R. An environmentally sustainable decision model for urban solid waste management. Waste Manage. 2004;24:277-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(03)00126-0
- Fiorucci P, Minciardi R, Robba M, Sacile R. Solid waste management in urban areas Development and application of a decision support system. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2003;37:301-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(02)00076-9
- Chattopadhyay S, Dutta A, Ray S. Municipal solid waste management in Kolkata, India - A review. Waste Manage. 2009;29: 1449-1458. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.08.030
- Paul K, Dutta A, Krishna AP. A comprehensive study on landfill site selection for Kolkata City, India. J. Air Waste Manage. Assoc. 2014;64:846-861. https://doi.org/10.1080/10962247.2014.896834
- NEERI (National Environmental Engineering Research Institute). Comprehensive characterization of municipal solid waste at Calcutta, India. Nagpur: NEERI; 2005.
- Chattopadhyay S, Dutta A, Ray S. Sustainable municipal solid waste management for the city of Kolkata. In: International Conference on Civil Engineering in the New Millenium: Opportunities and Challenges (CENeM-2007); 11-14 January, 2007, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur, India.
- Paul K. Development of geographic information system based management information system (MIS) for solid waste management in Indian cities [dissertation]. Kolkata: Jadavpur University Civil Engineering Department; 2018.
- Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation (CPHEEO). Municipal solid waste management manual. New Delhi: Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India; 2016.
- Hazra T, Goel S. Solid waste management in Kolkata, India: Practices and challenges. Waste Manage. 2009;29:470-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.01.023