- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Local Prominent Directional Pattern for Gender Recognition of Facial Photographs and Sketches
Local Prominent Directional Pattern을 이용한 얼굴 사진과 스케치 영상 성별인식 방법
- 채옥삼 (경희대학교/컴퓨터공학과)
- Received : 2019.02.17
- Accepted : 2019.06.03
- Published : 2019.06.30
In this paper, we present a novel local descriptor, Local Prominent Directional Pattern (LPDP), to represent the description of facial images for gender recognition purpose. To achieve a clearly discriminative representation of local shape, presented method encodes a target pixel with the prominent directional variations in local structure from an analysis of statistics encompassed in the histogram of such directional variations. Use of the statistical information comes from the observation that a local neighboring region, having an edge going through it, demonstrate similar gradient directions, and hence, the prominent accumulations, accumulated from such gradient directions provide a solid base to represent the shape of that local structure. Unlike the sole use of gradient direction of a target pixel in existing methods, our coding scheme selects prominent edge directions accumulated from more samples (e.g., surrounding neighboring pixels), which, in turn, minimizes the effect of noise by suppressing the noisy accumulations of single or fewer samples. In this way, the presented encoding strategy provides the more discriminative shape of local structures while ensuring robustness to subtle changes such as local noise. We conduct extensive experiments on gender recognition datasets containing a wide range of challenges such as illumination, expression, age, and pose variations as well as sketch images, and observe the better performance of LPDP descriptor against existing local descriptors.
- Patel, B., Maheshwari, R.P., and Raman, B. "Compass local binary patterns for gender recognition of facial photographs and sketches," Neurocomputing, 218, pp.203-215, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2016.08.055
- Hong, Hai, Hartmut Neven, and Christoph Von der Malsburg. "Online facial expression recognition based on personalized galleries," In Proceedings of Third IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 354-359. 1998.
- Kotsia, I. and Pitas, I. "Facial expression recognition in image sequences using geometric deformation features and support vector machines," IEEE transactions on image processing, 16(1), pp.172-187, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2006.884954
- Bourbakis, N., Esposito, A. and Kavraki, D. "Extracting andassociatingmeta-features for understanding people's emotional behaviour: Face and speech," Cognitive Computation, 3(3), pp.436-448, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12559-010-9072-1
- Turk, M.A. and Pentland, A.P. "Face recognition using eigenfaces," In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp.586-591. 1991, June.
- Yang, J., Zhang, D., Frangi, A.F. and Yang, J.Y. "Two-dimensional PCA: a new approach to appearance-based face representation and recognition," IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence, 26(1), pp.131-137, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2004.1261097
- Bartlett, M.S., Movellan, J.R. and Sejnowski, T.J. "Face recognition by independent component analysis," IEEE transactions on neural networks, 13(6), p.1450-1464, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNN.2002.804287
- Ojala, T., Pietikäinen, M. and Harwood, D. "A comparative study of texture measures with classification based on featured distributions," Pattern recognition, 29(1), pp.51-59, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(95)00067-4
- Jabid, T., Kabir, M.H. and Chae, O. "Gender classification using local directional pattern (LDP)," In 2010 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 2162-2165. 2010, August.
- Rivera, A.R., Castillo, J.R. and Chae, O.O. "Local directional number pattern for face analysis: Face and expression recognition," IEEE transactions on image processing, 22(5), pp.1740-1752, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2012.2235848
- Rivera, A.R., Castillo, J.A.R. and Chae, O. "Recognition of face expressions using local principal texture pattern," In 2012 19th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 2609-2612. 2012, September.
- Iqbal, M.T.B., Ryu, B., Song, G. and Chae, O. "Positional Ternary Pattern (PTP): An edge based image descriptor for human age recognition," In IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, pp.289-292. 2016, January.
- Levi, G. and Hassner, T. "Age and gender classification using convolutional neural networks," In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, pp. 34-42, 2015.
- Duan, M., Li, K., Yang, C. and Li, K. "A hybrid deep learning CNN-ELM for age and gender classification," Neurocomputing, 275, pp.448-461. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2017.08.062
- Liao, Z., Petridis, S. and Pantic, M. "Local Deep Neural Networks for Age and Gender Classification," arXiv preprint arXiv:1703.08497. 2017.
- Rodriguez, P., Cucurull, G., Gonfaus, J.M., Roca, F.X. and Gonzalez, J. "Age and gender recognition in the wild with deep attention," Pattern Recognition, 72, pp.563-571. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2017.06.028
- Mansanet, J., Albiol, A. and Paredes, R. "Local deep neural networks for gender recognition," Pattern Recognition Letters, 70, pp.80-86. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2015.11.015
- Zhang, Y. and Xu, T. "Landmark-Guided Local Deep Neural Networks for Age and Gender Classification," Journal of Sensors, 2018.
- Antipov, G., Berrani, S.A. and Dugelay, J.L. "Minimalistic CNN-based ensemble model for gender prediction from face images," Pattern recognition letters, 70, pp. 59-65. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2015.11.011
- F. Makhmudkhujaev, M. Abdullah-Al-Wadud, M.T.B. Iqbal et al., "Facial expression recognition with local prominent directional pattern," Signal Processing: Image Communication, 74, pp. 1-12. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2019.01.002
- Makinen, E. and Raisamo, R. "Evaluation of gender classification methods with automatically detected and aligned faces," IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence, 30(3), pp.541-547, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2007.70800
- Shan, C. "Learning local binary patterns for gender classification on real-world face images," Pattern recognition letters, 33(4), pp.431-437, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2011.05.016
- Dago-Casas, P., Gonzalez-Jimenez, D., Yu, L.L. and Alba-Castro, J.L. "Single-and cross-database benchmarks for gender classification under unconstrained settings," In 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision workshops, pp.2152-2159, 2011, November.
- Liu, H., Gao, Y. and Wang, C. "Gender identification in unconstrained scenarios using Self-Similarity of Gradients features," In ICIP, pp.5911-5915, 2014, October.
- Phillips, P.J., Moon, H., Rizvi, S.A. and Rauss, P.J. "The FERET evaluation methodology for face-recognition algorithms," IEEE Transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence, 22(10), pp.1090-1104, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.879790
- G.B. Huang, M.Ramesh, T. Berg, and E. Learned-Miller, "Labeled faces in the wild: a database for studying face recognition in unconstrained environments," Technical Report 07-49, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2007.
- Azzopardi, G., Greco, A., Saggese, A. and Vento, M. "Fast gender recognition in videos using a novel descriptor based on the gradient magnitudes of facial landmarks," In 2017 14th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, pp. 1-6. 2017, August.
- Wang, X. and Tang, X. "Face photo-sketch synthesis andrecognition."IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 31(11), pp.1955-1967, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2008.222
- Iqbal, M.T.B., Abdullah-Al-Wadud, M., Ryu, B., Makhmudkhujaev, F. and Chae, O. "Facial Expression Recognition with Neighborhood-aware Edge Directional Pattern (NEDP)," IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing. 2018.
- Hsu, C.W. and Lin, C.J. "A comparison of methods for multiclass support vector machines," IEEE transactions on Neural Networks, 13(2), pp.415-425, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/72.991427
- Azzopardi, G., Greco, A. and Vento, M. "Gender recognition from face images using a fusion of svm classifiers," In International Conference Image Analysis and Recognition, pp.533-538, Springer, Cham, 2016, July.
- Azzopardi, G., Greco, A. and Vento, M. "Gender recognition from face images with trainable COSFIRE filters," In Proceedings of 13th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, pp.235-241, 2016, August.
- Azzopardi, G., Greco, A., Saggese, A. and Vento, M. "Fusion of domain-specific and trainable features for gender recognition from face images," IEEE Access, 6, pp.24171-24183, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2823378
- Patel, B., Maheshwari, R.P. and Balasubramanian, R. "Multi-quantized local binary patterns for facial gender classification," Computers & Electrical Engineering, 54, pp.271-284. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.11.004