- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Resistance and Planing Attitude for Prismatic Planing Hull using OpenFOAM
OpenFOAM을 이용한 주형체 활주선의 저항 및 항주자세 추정
- Shi, XiangYu (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Zhang, Yang (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Yum, Deuk-joon (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2019.07.26
- Accepted : 2019.08.12
- Published : 2019.08.31
The prediction of the hydrodynamic performance of a planing hull vessel is an important and challenging topic for computational fluid dynamic (CFD) applications to naval hydrodynamics. In this paper, the resistance and planing attitude analysis for a Fridsma hull, which is a prismatic planing hull, in still water are numerically studied using OpenFOAM. OpenFOAM is an open source code package based on C++ libraries and the finite volume method (FVM) for the discretization of the RANS equation. The volume of fluid method (VOF) is used to capture the water-air interface and the SST
- Bustos, D.S.H., Alvarado, R.J.P., 2017. Numerical Hull Resistance Calculation of a Catamaran Using OpenFOAM. Ship Science and Technology, 11(21), 29-39. https://doi.org/10.25043/19098642.150 https://doi.org/10.25043/19098642.150
- Chevrier, P., Galley, H., 1993. A Van Leer Finite Volume Scheme for The Euler Equations on Unstructured Mesh. Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, 27(2), 183-201. https://doi.org/10.1051/m2an/1993270201831
- Cucinotta, F., Sfravara, F., 2018. Experimental and Numerical Hydrodynamic Analysis of a Planing Hull Pleasure Boat. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, 13(1), 30-39.
- Fridsma, G., 1969. A Systematic Study of the Rough-water Performance of Planing Boats. Davidson Laboratory Report, 1275.
- Fu, T.C., O'Shea, T.T., Judge, C.Q., Dommermuth, D., Brucker, K., Wyatt, D.C., 2012. A Detailed Assessment of Numerical Flow Analysis (NFA) to Predict the Hydrodynamics of a Deep-V Planing Hull. 29th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Gothenburg, Sweden, 26-31.
- Go, G.S., Lee, E.T., Ahn, H.T., Kim, S.I., Chun, S.Y., Kim, J.S., Lee, B.H., 2016. 6DOF Simulation and Determination of Hydrodynamic Derivatives of Underwater Tow-Fish Using CFD. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 53(4), 315-328. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2016.53.4.315 https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2016.53.4.315
- Hassan, G., Kamarlouei, M., Veysi, S.T.G., 2015. A Hydrodynamic Methodology and CFD Analysis for Performance Prediction of Stepped Planing Hulls. Polish Maritime Research, 22(2), 23-31. https://doi.org/10.1515/pomr-2015-0014 https://doi.org/10.1515/pomr-2015-0014
- Islam, H., Soares, C.G., 2017. Prediction of Ship Resistance in Head Waves Using OpenFOAM. Maritime Transportation and Harvesting of Sea Resources, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Marcello, I., 2015 Hydrodynamics of Planing Hull by CFD. Thesis Master's Degree in Naval Engineering of Naples University.
- Mousaviraad, S.M., Wang, Z.Y., Stern, F., 2015. URANS Studies of Hydrodynammic Performance and Slamming Loads on High-speed Planing Hulls in Calm Water and Waves for Deep and Shallow Conditions. Applied Ocean Reseacch, 51, 222-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2015.04.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2015.04.007
- Newmark, N.M., 1959. A Method of Computation for Structural Dynamics. Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, 85(3), 67-94.
- OpenCFD Ltd., 2017. OpenFOAM User Guide.
- Savitsky, D., 1964. Hydrodynamic Design of Planing Hulls. Marine Technology and SNAME News, 1(4), 71-95.
- Stern, F., Wilson, R., Coleman, H.W., Paterson, E., 2001. Comprehensive Approach to Verification and Validation of CFD Simulations -Part 1: Methodology and Procedures. Journal of Fluids Engineering, 123(4), 793-802. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1412235 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1412235
- Wilson, R., Stern, F., Coleman, H.W., Paterson, E., 2001. Comprehensive Approach to Verification and Validation of CFD Simulations -Part 2: Application for Rans Simulation of a Cargo/Container Ship. Journal of Fluids Engineering, 123(4), 803-810. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1412236 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1412236