- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Mediating Effects of Periodontal Status on Relationship between Health Practice Behaviors and Depression of Middle-aged Adults
중년의 건강실천행위가 우울에 미치는 영향에서 치주상태의 매개효과
- Lee, Byung-Ho (Department of Dental Hygiene, Youngsan University)
- 이병호 (영산대학교 치위생학과)
- Received : 2019.05.29
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
This study was to examine whether an middle-aged adults can depression by the mediating effect of periodontal status on the association between health practice behavior and depression. The analysis was conducted on 2,064 of the aged 45 to 64 in middle-aged by using raw data from the 2015 National Health and Nutrition Survey. The data were analyzed using SPSS for windows version 24.0 and SPSS PROCESS-macro. As a result, middle-aged depression was higher in female(0.15) than in male(0.10). The living alone were the lowest in the health practice behavior(3.92) and the highest in the depression(0.25) and the periodontal status(1.76). Also, analysis using the PROCESS macro indicated that the periodontal status has a mediating effect between health practice behavior and depression. These findings suggest that periodontal status is closely related to depression and this will be used as basic data for development of mental health promotion programs for middle-aged adults.
Health Practice Behavior;Depression;Periodontal Status;Middle-aged;Convergence
Supported by : Youngsan University
- N. J. Kim. (2008). Related factors and the symptoms of menopause in male workers. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 25(4), 29-42.
- World Health Organization. (2015) . Global tuberculosis report 2015. Geneva : World Health Organization. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(14)70361-4
- S. R. H. Beach, E. Sandeen & K. D. O'Leary. (1990). Depression in marriage: A model for etiology and treatment. New York : Guilford Press.
- Y. J. Lee. (2018). Gender differences in Factors Associated with the Severity of Depression in Middle-aged Adults: An Analysis of 2014 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(10), 549-559. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.10.549
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, M. S. Jeon & Y. M. Kwon. (2013). Path Analysis of Self efficacy, Depressive Cognition, Health status, and Health Promotion Behavior of Middle Aged Adults. Journal of The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, 20(1), 10-18.
- S. Y. Kim & J. I. Lee. (2007). A Study on Aging Anxiety, Depression, and Self-esteem of Middle-aged People. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 14(1), 103-109.
- D. Locker. (1988). Measuring oral health :a conceptual framework. Community Dent Health, 5(1), 3-18.
- G. S. Han, Y. S. Kim, J. K. Kang, Y. S. Hwang, D. H. Han & K. H. Bae. (2008). Relation of smoking and periodontal status among 30s-50s adults in metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Oral Health 32, 250-260.
- E. J. Lee & S. R. Suh. (2016). Structural Equation Modeling of Health-related Quality of Life in Periodontal Disease Patients for the Middle-aged Koreans. The Korean journal of health service management, 10(1), 105-116. DOI: 10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.105 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.105
- B. A. Burt & S. A. Eklund. (2005). Dentistry, dental practice, and the community. USA : Elsevier Health Sciences.
- J. Y. Kang. (2017). Relationship Depressive symptoms & Periodontal Disease in Korean Adults 2014 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Master's thesis. Hanyang University, Seoul
- C. J. Chang. (2017). The Moderating Effect of Economic Support from Children in the Relationship of Total Cost of Living on Depression among the Korean Elderly. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(4), 239-245. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.4.239
- J. S. Kim. (2018). A Converged Study on the Influence on the Depression of Family & Job Stress and Middle aged Men. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(11), 561-567. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.11.561
- N. H. Jo & C. H. Seong. (2016). Effects of Stress and Self-esteem on Depression in Middle-aged Women and Middle-aged Men. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 7(6), 89-97. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.089
- N. B. Belloc & L. Breslow. (1972). Relationship of Physical Health Status and Health Practices. Preventive Medicine, 1(3), 409-421. DOI: 10.1016/0091-7435(72)90014-X https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(72)90014-X
- A. F. Hayes. (2013). Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression‐Based Approach. New York: The Guilford Press.
- C. L. Edelman, C. L. Mandle & S. Grossman. (2005). Health promotion throughout the life span, USA : Elsevier.
- Y. O. Kim. (2016). A Study on Single Person Households in Korea. Korean journal of family social work, 52, 139-166.
- L. E. McKenzie, R. N. Polur, C. Wesley, J. D. Allen, R. E. McKeown & J. Zhang. (2013). Social contacts and depression in middle and advanced adulthood: findings from a US national survey, 2005-2008. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 59(7), 627-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764012463302
- S. J. Kim. (2019). A Study on the Ecological Variables Affecting the Life Satisfaction and Depression of Single-person Households : Focusing on the Comparison between Young Adults and Middle-aged. Master's thesis. Chongju University, Chongju.
- S. D. Chung & M. J. Koo. (2011). Factors Influencing Depression: A Comparison among Babyboomers, the Pre-elderly, and the Elderly. Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, 52, 305-324.