- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Characteristic Analysis of Industrial Structure in Jeju Special Self-Governing Province Using Dynamic Shift-Share Analysis
동태적 변이할당분석을 이용한 제주특별자치도 산업구조 특성 분석
- Yang, Young-Jun (Department of Real Estate, Jeju National University)
- 양영준 (제주대학교 부동산관리학과)
- Received : 2019.05.10
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The regional economy growth of Jeju has seen higher than national growth since 2011 by the establishment of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province and the increase of incoming population, but its economic growth has slowed after 2016. This study conducted the dynamic shift-share analysis using the production and employees of each industry from 2010 to 2016, targeting Jeju with many factors of regional economic change. In the results of empirical analysis, the regional economy of Jeju was not the industrial structure depending on the national growth, but the industrial structure by the competitiveness and industrial structure of Jeju region. The industries having positive(+) effects of industrial mix effect and competitive effect on the production and the number of employees were the electricity/gas/heavy equipments & waterworks, construction, accommodation & restaurants, and service industry. These industries have positive effects on the regional industry of Jeju. The above-mentioned industries are not only more likely to grow than other regions, but also to drive the local economy of Jeju. In order for these industries to continuously contribute to the regional economy of Jeju, it would be necessary to have the policy/institutional support in the long-term perspective.
Shift-Share Analysis;Dynamic Shift-Share Analysis;Jeju Special Self-Governing Province;Industrial Structure;Net Relative Change Effect
- H. R. Jung. (2017). REGIONAL ECONOMICS. Seoul : Sigma press.
- M. Dinc & K. Haynes. (2005). Productivity, International Trade and Reference Area Interactions in Shift-Share Analysis: Some Operational Note. Growth and Change, 36(3), 374-394. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2257.2005.00282.x
- S. M. Choi. (2015). Analysis of Characteristics of Chungnam Area Tourism Industrial Structure by Dynamic Shift-Share Analysis. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 15(3), 396-405. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.03.396
- Y. J. Yang. (2019). Analysis on the Growth Characteristics of Real Estate Industry in Metropolitan Councils of Korea- Using Shift-Share Analysis and Growth Rate Differential Analysis -. Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysts Association, 25(1), 63-77. https://doi.org/10.19172/KREAA.25.1.5
- R. A. Barff & P. L. Knight III. (1988), Dynamic Shift-Share Analysis. Growth and Change, 19(2), 1-10.
- H. R. Jung. (2017). The Study of Dynamic Shift-Share Analysis. KUKJE KYUNGJE YONGU, 6(2), 105-123.
- S. H. Park & K. S. Lee. (2017). Analysis on The Regional Industrial Growth and the Employment Effects of the First Newtown Project in Seoul Metropolitan Area. Journal of the Economic Geographical Society of Korea, 20(1), 34-48. https://doi.org/10.23841/egsk.2017.20.1.34
- H. M. Ji. (2017). <3 Hierarchical Region> Shift-Share Analysis: An Extension of the Basic Model and An Empirical Study of Brown Field Areas of Korea. Journal of Economics Studies, 35(4), 55-74.
- S. W. Mo, D. O. Choi & K. B. Lee. (2016). Industrial Competitiveness of Busan and Gyungnam: Location Quotient and Shift-share Analysis. The Journal of International Trade & Commerce, 12(5), 309-323.
- S. R. Kim & J. S. Lee. (2014). A Study on Characteristics of Industrial Structure by Shift-Share Analysis : The Case of Chungnam Geumgang Area. Journal of Korean Society of Rural Planning, 20(1), 127-134.
- W. S. Shim & S. M. Choi. (2013). An Analysis of Regional Tourism Industry Growth Using Shift-Share Analysis and Growth Rate Differential Analysis, Journal of Tourism Sciences, 37(5), 241-260.
- B. S. Yoo, S. R. Kim & J. S. Lee. (2015). Structure change and prospect of manufacturing industry in Chungcheongnamdo using shift-share analysis : Application of regression analysis and quadratic programming. Journal of The Korean Regional Development Association, 27(1), 165-183.
- Y. M. Yoo, J. H. Lee & S. H. Joo. (2011). An Competitiveness Analysis for Busan Noksan Industrial Complex compared with other National Industrial Complexes. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 27(1), 55-74.
- S. Y. Hwang. (2018). Shift-share Analysis of Manufacturing Labor Productivity: Industry-level Evidence from Incheon. The Institute of business management, 41(1), 267-290.
- R. Q. Hanham & S. Banasick. (2000). Shift-Share Analysis and Changes in Japanese Manufacturing Employment. Growth and Change, 31(2), 108-123. https://doi.org/10.1111/0017-4815.00121
- S. W. Mo, J. W. Park & K. B. Lee. (2018). Decomposition of ICT Industry's Sectoral Growth of Workers Using BCG Matrix and Shift-Share Model. The e-Business Studies, 19(4), 19-28. https://doi.org/10.20462/TeBS.2018.8.19.4.19
- S. Y. Kim & S. Y. Ryu. (2017). A Study on Analyzing Structural Changes and Growth Factors of the Three Main Industries in Ulsan Metropolitan City using Regional Input-Output Tables. Journal of the Economic Geographical Society of Korea, 20(1), 1-15.
- C. K. Lee. (2012). Analysis on the Intra-regional Industrial Linkage Structures in Gyeongbuk Region. Journal of Economics Studies, 30(1), 141-168.
- B. D. Cho & J. H. Chung. (2011). The Changes in Industrial Structures and the Elements of Growth for the Korean Economies based on an Input-Output Industrial Analysis (1995-2008). Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 24(6), 3433-3456.
- J. H. Yoon & J. H. Kim. (2013). The Competitiveness Analysis on The Regional Economy : Andong-City Case. Journal of Korea Regional Economics, 11(3), 175-192.
- S. H. Kim. (2010). A Structural Analysis of Regional Industry By Locational Quotient and Shift-Share Analyses: the Case of Chungnam Province (1998-2008). The Journal of Korean Policy Studies, 10(1), 137-153.
- Y. H. Lee, K. H. Kim & T. H. Kwon. (2012). Growth Factors and Development Strategies of Regional Strategic Industries with Inter-Industry Linkages: Chungbuk Province. Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 25(1), 545-566.
- T. H. Cho. (2012). A Comparative Analysis on Growth Factors in Local Economic of Chungcheong Region. Journal of Korea Regional Economics, 10(1), 65-89.