- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Beach-Lifeguard Considerations for Individuals with Disabilities: A Literature Review
장애인을 위한 해양 라이프가드 고려사항: 문헌연구
- Kim, Jaehwa (Department of Sport Science, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Hyemin (BK21 Plus, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2019.05.31
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
Beach lifeguards in Korea are unprepared to perform the rescue and safety management for individuals with disabilities. There is no lifeguard training that offers information regarding the rescue of individuals with disabilities. The purpose of the study was to conduct literature review and determine significant issues related to beach lifeguard and provide suggestions for lifeguard training programs and water safety for individuals with disabilities. Databases (i.e., CINAHL Plus with Full Text, ERIC, MEDLINE, SPORTDiscus with Full Text) were used to search research articles and organizational documents. To find relevant documents, search terms such as water safety, lifeguard, drown prevention were used. Data were content analyzed to identify key issues. Based on the literature review, five critical issues regarding rescue of individuals with disabilities, drown prevention, and water safety were drawn and discussed in the article.
Lifeguard;individual with disabilities;drown prevention;water safety;literature review
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University
- T. Lee & S. Ji. (2002). Study of participation of individuals with orthopedic impairments on marine sports, Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 18, 663-674. UCI : G704-000763.2002.18.2.105
- Discrimination Act. (2017. July 26). Public Law 14839.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2016). Causes of death. Sejong, South Korea: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- K. B. Kim J. H. Lee S. G. Kim K. H. Seok & Y. S. Choi. (2017). Improvement plan on marine lifesaving educational course in Korea: Comparison with the status of the foreign marine leisure safety education groups. In: J. L. Lee T. Griffiths A. Lotan K. S. Suh & J. Lee(eds.), The 2nd International Water Safety Symposium, Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 79, 26-29. DOI: 10.2112/SI79-006.1 https://doi.org/10.2112/SI79-006.1
- J. P. Higgins. (2008). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Chichester, England: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or IDEA. (2004), Public Law 108-446. 108th Congress (Dec. 3, 2004).
- L. G. Portney & M. P. Watkins. (2009). Foundations of clinical research: Applications to practice(3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson-Prentice Hall.
- Americans with Disabilities Act. (1990. July 26). Public Law 101-336. 108th Congress, 2nd session.
- American National Red Cross. (2007). Lifeguard management. PA USA: American National Red Cross.
- C. Sherrill. (2004). Adapted physical activity, recreation and sport: Crossdisciplinary and lifespan(6th ed.). New York: McGraw Hill.
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. (2017). Lifeguard manual: Administration and procedures. NJ, USA: New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. https://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/lifeguard2_manual_administration_procedures.pdf
- Angel sense. (2018). These water safety tips could save your special child's life. Angel sense [Online]. https://www.angelsense.com/blog/water-safety-tips-save-special-childs-life/
- In the swim. (2018). Water safety for parents and caregivers of children with autism. In the swim [Online]. https://www.intheswim.com/eGuides/water-safety-for-children-autism
- S. Davies. (2017). The ultimate water safety guide for children with autism. DW autism [Online]. https://www.autismag.org/news/the-ultimate-water-safety-guide-for-children-with-autism/
- B. S. Kathleen. (2018). Water safety tips for kids with autism. Suburban Parent [Online]. https://suburbanparent.com/features/better-homes-and-bodies/water-safety-tips-for-kids-with-autism
- M. Wascavage. (2017). Autism spectrum disorder: Swim lessons are important for safety and survival. Crozer-Keystone Health System [Online]. https://www.crozerkeystone.org/news/news-releases/2017/autism-spectrum-disorder-swim-lessons-are-important-for-safety-and-survival/
- C. Freedman. (2017). Swimming and autism: Strategies and tips. National Recreation and Park Association [Online]. https://www.nrpa.org/blog/swimming-and-autism-strategies-and-tips/
- K. Erica. (2018). Summer Safety Tips for Children with Special Needs. Mayinstitute [Online]. https://www.mayinstitute.org/news/acl.html?id=1730.
- Beach Wheelchairs. (2017). Beach wheelchair annual report. Berwick, Scotland : Beach Wheelchair.
- Epic Health Services. (2014). Water safety tips for kids with special needs. Epic Health Services [Online]. https://blog.epichealthservices.com/6-water-safety-tips-kids-special-needs/.
- Independent Pool and Spa Service Association. (2016). Safe swimming for kids with special needs. Independent Pool and Spa Service Association[Online]. http://www.ipssa.com/single-post/2016/12/02/Safe-Swimming-for-Kids-with-Special-Needs
- S. Nicolau. (2018). Pool and water safety for special needs children. Neapolitan Family [Online]. https://neafamily.com/your-family/special-needs/Pool%20and%20Water%20Safety%20for%20Special%20Needs%20Children/#.XO-yC-R7mUm
- M. Foster. (2016). Special needs child: Drowning risks and prevention. Children's Therapy TEAM [Online]. https://www.childrenstherapyteam.com/index.php/2016/06/27/special-needs-child-drowning-risks-and-prevention/
- MGA Home Healthcare. (2017). Water safety tips for your child with autism. MGA Home Healthcare [Online]. https://blog.mgahomecare.com/blog/2017/04/5-water-safety-tips-child-autism/
- V. Cecil. (2015). Four keys to water safety for children with autism. Organization for Autism Research [Online]. https://researchautism.org/four-keys-to-water-safety-for-autistic-children/
- R. J. Rucoba. (2018). Sink or swim: Water safety for children and teens. Wheaton Pediatrics [Online]. http://wheatonpediatrics.pediatricweb.com/Practice-News.aspx?tArticleId=1184
- S. Gonser. (2016). Water safety musts for kids at the beach, pool and lake. MommyPoppins [Online]. https://mommypoppins.com/new-york-city-kids/beaches-lakes/water-safety-musts-for-kids-at-the-beachpool-and-lake
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. (2018).. Kids with special needs: A quick guide for parents. Texas Department of Family and Protective Services [Online]. http://www.helpandhope.org/Parenting_Tips/Articles/special-needs.asp
- World Health Organization. (2014). Global report on drowning: Preventing a leading killer. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
- J. Schyllander S. Janson C. Nyberg U. B. Eriksson & D. Stark Ekman. (2013). Case analyses of all children's drowning deaths occurring in Sweden 1998-2007. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 41(2), 174-179. DOI: 10.1177/1403494812471156 https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494812471156
- S. J. Grosse. (2014). Aquatic safety for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. International Journal of Aquatic Research and Education, 8(3), 8. DOI: 10.25035/ijare.08.03.08
- J. H. Kim & S. M. Yun. (2016). Evidence based aquatic programs for students with disabilities: Systematic literature review. Korean Journal of Physical Education, 55(2), 689-700. UCI: G704-000541.2016.55.2.022
- P. Conatser. (2007). Adapted aquatics and rehabilitation: A literature synthesis. International Journal of Aquatic Research and Education, 1(3), 242-254. DOI: 10.25035/ijare.01.03.07
- R. A. Dalrymple J. H. MacMahan A. J. Reniers & V. Nelko. (2011). Rip currents. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 43, 551-581. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-fluid-122109-160733 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-fluid-122109-160733
- Applied Behavior Center for Autism. (2014). Special needs water safety. Applied Behavior Center for Autism [Online]. http://www.aboutspecialkids.org/MediaLibraries/AboutSpecialKids/AboutSpecialKids/Webinar%20Powerpoints/water-safety-webinar.pdf
- Applied Behavior Center for Autism. (2018). The importance of water safety skills for children with autism. Applied Behavior Center for Autism [Online]. https://www.appliedbehaviorcenter.org/blog/2018/04/the-importance-of-water-safety-skills-for-children-with-autism
- M. Loiselle. (2015). Water safety for children with autism. Indy's Child [Online]. https://indyschild.com/water-safety-for-children-with-autism/
- C. Hohn. (2016). Summer safety tips for children on the autism spectrum who wander. Autism Society of Texas [Online]. http://www.texasautismsociety.org/summer-safety-tips-for-children-on-the-autism-spectrum-who-wander/
- T. Mauro. (2019). Special-needs swim gear for special needs children and adults. Verywellfamily [Online]. https://www.verywellfamily.com/special-needs-swimgear-3106239