- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Determinants of the Turnover Intention of Korean Film Crews : Using Ordered Logit Model
한국 영화제작인력의 이직의도의 결정요인 : 순서형 로짓분석을 이용한 분석
- Lee, Hee-Jin (School of Communication Arts & Science, Handong Global University) ;
- Lee, Won-June (Department of Social Welfare, Changshin University)
- Received : 2019.05.31
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
This study focuses on the recent turnover of film crews in Korean film industry. Determinants that could have a significant impact on the turnover of film crews are identified through empirical research, in order to seek measures to prevent the loss of experienced film crews. In order for respondents to verify research questions regarding turnover of the film crews, ordered logistic and marginal effects analysis using SPSS and STATA are conducted with the data obtained by surveying 402 film crews in various areas. Data analysis revealed that the variables that have a significant effect on the turnover of film crews are artists' identity, job rank, career barrier and job satisfaction. The characteristics of risk groups with high turnover can be concluded that they are low in job rank and have many career problems, poor job satisfaction and strong identity as a labourer rather than artist's identity. Based on the main findings, practical implications are discussed.
Film Crews;Turnover;Career Barrier;Job Satisfaction;Artist's Identity;Job Rank
- C. S. Ha. (2014). Analyses of the Causes that Film Production Staffs Leave Film Sites and Proposals for the Improvement. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 14(12), 665-673. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.12.665 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.12.665
- H. J. Lee. (2014). The Effect of Job Satisfaction and Working Condition on the Emotional Exhaustion: Focused on the Mediating Effect of Career Barrier and the Moderating Effect of The Perception of Gender Discrimination. Korean Journal of Human Resources Development (HRD), 21(3), 85-113. DOI : 10.24991/KJHRD.2018.09.21.3.85
- K. H. Bae. (2012). Estimation of Economic Value of the Film Industry in the National Economy. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 12(9), 172-181. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.09.172 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.09.172
- H. J. Lee. (2016). A study on factors affecting to film crews' job satisfaction : focusing on the direct effects of job efficacy and job autonomy, the indirect effects of communication competence, and the moderating effects of career barrier and staff level. Doctoral Dissertation. Sogang University, Seoul.
- S. U. Lee. (2014). Research of leaving workers of Korea filmmaking industry. CineForum, (18), 197-253. UCI : G704-SER000002697.2014..18.005
- J. L Price & C. W. Mueller. (1986). Absenteeism and turnover of hospital employees. JAI Press.
- G. J. Blau & K. B. Boal. (1987). Conceptualizing how job involvement and organizational commitment affect turnover and absenteeism. Academy of management review, 12(2), 288-300, 1987. DOI : 10.5465/amr.1987.4307844 https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1987.4307844
- J. H. Lee, (1999). A Study of Job-related Motivation of Hotel Employees with Segmentation in Marketing Section. Master Thesis, Sejong University, Seoul,.
- I. Y. Choi & Y. J. Kang. (2010). Articles : Why Do Film Artists Become Film Workers? -A Case of Korean Film Industry Workers Union. Discourse 201, 13(4), 37-69. DOI : 10.17789/discou.2010.13.4.002 https://doi.org/10.17789/discou.2010.13.4.002
- H. J. Lee. (2018). The Effect of Film Crews' Artistic Identity on their Professionalism and Job Autonomy, Fim Studies, (76), 273-316. DOI : 10.17947/FS.2018.06.76.273
- T. H. Rhee. (2014). He Effects of Pay Satisfaction on Job Motivation and Turnover Intention. Doctoral Dissertation, Seonam University, Asan.
- J. L. Price. (1977). The study of turnover. Iowa State Press.
- W. H. Mobley. (1982). Employee Turnover causes, consequences and Control, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- S. T. Park. (2012). A study on the factors affecting on turnover intention and burnout of social workers : focusing on job stress and organizational commitment. Doctoral Dissertation, Wonkwang Unversity, Iksan.
- B. K. Jeon. (2017). The Effects of social work public official Emotional Labor's Surface Acting and Deep Acting on Turnover Intention. Doctoral Dissertation. Kyngpook National University, Daegu.
- S. H. Kim. (1997). A Causal Model of the Intent to Leave for Social Workers. Korean journal of social welfare studies, 10, 353-381. UCI : I410-ECN-0102-2009-330-009121730
- J. Y. Suh. (2002). A study on the theoretical model of turnover intention among kindergarten teachers in Korea. Doctoral Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- G. S. Kong. (2005). Factors Associated with Burnout of Korean Child Protective Service Workers. Korean Journal of Family Welfare (K.J.F.W), 10(3), 83-103. UCI(KEPA) : I410-ECN-0102-2009-590-000450747
- K. H. Kang. (2013). A Study on Moderating Effects of the Emotional Intelligence on the Formation Process of Social Welfare Workers' Turnover Intention. Doctoral Dissertation. Chosun University, Gwangju.
- L. W. Porter & R. M. Steers. (1973). Organizational, work, and personal factors in employee turnover and absenteeism. Psychological bulletin, 80(2), 151. DOI : 10.1037/h0034829 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0034829
- K. H. Lee. (2003). The Difference of Turnover Intention by Interaction Effect between the Job Satisfaction of Hotel Employees and Hotel Grade. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 14(3), 325-339. UCI : G704-000823.2002.14.3.017
- J. L. Cotton & J. M. Tuttle. (1986). Employee turnover: A meta-analysis and review with implications for research. Academy of management Review, 11(1), 55-70. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1986.4282625
- K. H. Lee. (1995). A study analysis of the determinants of turnover intention among hospital employees. Doctoral Dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- R. H. Schaffer. (1953). Job satisfaction as related to need satisfaction in work. Psychological monographs: General and applied, 67(14), 1-29. DOI : 10.1037/h0093658 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0093658
- V. H. Vroom. (1964). Work and motivation, 54. New York: Wiley.
- J. S. Adams. (1963). Towards an understanding of inequity. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 67(5), 422. DOI : 10.1037/h0040968 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0040968
- E. L. Lawler. (1971). Pay and organization effectiveness: A psychological view. NY: McGraw Hill.
- E. A. Locke. (1969). What is job satisfaction?. Organizational behavior and human performance, 4(4), 309-336. DOI : 10.1016/0030-5073(69)90013-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(69)90013-0
- H. J. Lee. (2108). The Effects of Film Crews' Job Efficacy and Job Autonomy on Their Job Satisfaction - Focusing on the Indirect Effects of Communication Competence and the Moderating Effects of Career Barrier. CONTENTS PLUS, 16(3), 65-89. DOI : 10.14728/KCP.2018.16.03.065
- J. M. Kang & J. O. Kwon. (2107). A Convergence Study about Influences of Trust in Supervisor, Customer Badness Behavior Turnover Intention Behavior on Job Embeddedness in Clinical Nurses. Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, 8(7), 113-122. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.7.113
- J. O. Kwon & J. M. Kang. (2109). The Effect of Person-Environment Fit(Person-Job Fit, Person-Organization Fit, Person-Supervior Fit)and Job Embeddedness on Turnover Intention in Clinical Nurses', Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, 10(3), 307-317.
- H. J. Lee. (2108). The Effect of Professionalism and Career Barrier on the Job Satisfaction of Film and Television Industry Workers : Focused on the Mediating Effect of Job Efficacy and the Moderating Effect of Gender Discrimination. PNU Journals of Women's Studies, 28(1), 283-328. DOI : 10.14728/KCP.2018.16.03.065
- H. J. Lee. (2108). The Effects of Film Crews' Artistic Identity on Life Satisfaction - Focusing on the Double Mediation Effects of Satisfaction of Job and Working Conditions, and the Moderation effect of Staff Level. CONTENTS PLUS, 16(6), 59-82. DOI : 10.14728/KCP.2018.16.06.0059
- S. H. Kwang. (2007). A Study on Relationship between Career Barriers and Turnover Intention. korean academy of Human Resource Management, 14, 1-23. UCI : G704-001783.2007.14.3-1.010
- A. C. Bluedorn. (1979). Structure, environment, and satisfaction: Toward a causal model of turnover from military organizations. JPMS: Journal of Political and Military Sociology, 7(2), 181-207. https://search.proquest.com/docview/1303281272?accountid=11276
- J. L. Price & A. C. Bluedorn. (1979). Test of a causal model of organizational turnover. In D. Dunkerley and G. Salaman (Eds.) International yearbook of organization studies. (pp. 217-236). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.