- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study on the Effect of Self Management and Self efficacy on Hemodialysis related Symptom of Diabetic Nephropathy Hemodialysis Patients
당뇨병성 신증 혈액투석 환자의 자가관리와 자기효능감이 혈액투석 관련 증상에 미치는 영향에 관한 융합연구
- Jun, Young-Hee (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- 전영희 (원광보건대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2019.05.17
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The purpose of this study was to confirm if self-management and self-efficacy of diabetic nephropathy hemodialysis patients were influencing factors on the hemodialysis-related symptoms. A cross-sectional study was performed on 254 patients based at 3 University hospital hemodialysis centers and 7 hemodialysis clinics from September 2017 to November 2017. The data was analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe test, Pearson correlation, and multiple regression analysis. The results showed that patients with stable economic condition and no complications from diabetes, the higher patient self-management and self-efficacy led to lower hemodialysis related symptoms. Therefore, the government should provide financial support, a management process needs to be set up to prevent complications from diabetes, and disease-specific patient self-management program should be implemented to increase patient's self-efficacy.
Supported by : Wonkwang Health Science University
- The Korean Society of Nephrology. (2018). Current Renal Replacement Therapy in Korea. Kidney Research and Clinical Practice [Online]. www.ksn.or.kr
- F. E. Murtagh, J. Addington-Hall & I. J. Higginson. (2007). The Prevalence of Symptoms in End-stage Renal Disease: A Systematic Review. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, 14(1), 82-99. DOI : 10.1053/j.ackd.2006.10.001 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2006.10.001
- S. D Weisbord et al. (2004). Development of a Symptom Assessment Instrument for Chronic Hemodialysis Patients : The Dialysis Symptom Index. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 27(3), 226-240. DOI : 10.1061/j.jpainsymman.2003.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2003.07.004
- H. S. Son et al. (2011). The diabetes(4th). Seoul : Korea Medical Book Publishing Company.
- N. S. Seo & S. J. Kang. (2015). Its Relationship with Symptoms Index, Self Efficacy and Family Support in Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(11), 6483-6494. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6483 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6483
- K. H. Park. (2017). Structural Equation Model of Symptom Management in Patients with Hemodialysis. Master dissertation. Korea University, Seoul.
- O. J. Lee. (2009). The Effect of Self-Care Program for Hypertension Outpatients in a General Hospital. Master dissertation. Chonbuk National University, Jeonbuk.
- E. Heinrich, N. C. Schaper & M. K. de Vries. (2010). Self‐Management Interventions for Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review. European Diabetes Nursing, 7(2), 71-76. DOI : 10.1002/edn.160 https://doi.org/10.1002/edn.160
- R. A. Bell, J. S. Andrews, T. A. Arcury, B. M. Snively, S. L. Golden & S. A. Quandt. (2010). Depressive Symptoms and Diabetes Self-management among Rural Older Adults. American Journal of Health Behavior, 34(1), 36-44. DOI : 10.5993/AJHB.34.1.5
- J. E. Cha. (2017). Structural Equation Modeling of Self-Management in Patients with Hemodialysis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 47(1), 14-24. DOI : 10.4040./jkan.2017.47.1.14 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.1.14
- A. Bandura. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman.
- D. K. King et al. (2010). Self-efficacy, problem solving, and social-environmental support are associated with diabetes self-management behaviors. Diabetes care, 33(4), 751-753. DOI : 10.2337/dc09-1746 https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1746
- R. B. Curtin, B. A. Walters, D. Schatell, P. Pennell, M. Wise & K. Klicko. (2008). Self-efficacy and Self-management Behaviors in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, 15(2), 191-205. DOI : 10.1053/j.ackd.2008.01.006 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2008.01.006
- L. L. White, M. Z. Cohen, A. M. Berger, K. A. Kupzyk & P. J. Bierman. (2019). Self-Efficacy for Management of Symptoms and Symptom Distress in Adults With Cancer: An Integrative Review. In Oncology nursing forum, 46(1), 113-128. DOI : 10.1188/19.ONF.113-128 https://doi.org/10.1188/19.ONF.113-128
- H. K. Jin, J. H. Kim & M. J. Kim. (2019). Influence of Physical and Psychological Symptoms on Exercise Adherence in Patients with Heart Failure-Focused on the Mediation Effects of Self-efficacy. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 26(1), 52-61. DOI : 10.7739/jkafn.2019.26.1.52 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2019.26.1.52
- J. Y. Song & P. J. Oh. (2016). A Study on Symptom Experience, Spiritual Wellbeing and Derpression in Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. Journal of the Korea Academia-industrial cooperation society, 17(5), 660-670. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.660 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.660
- J. H. Moon & Y. H. Shin. (2018). Self-Management Knowledge, Self-Management, Physiological Index, and Symptoms Experience according to Dialysis Methods. Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, 25(3), 220-230. DOI : 10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.3.220 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.3.220
- A. C. Blok (2017, April). A Middle‐Range Explanatory Theory of Self‐Management Behavior for Collaborative Research and Practice. In Nursing forum, 52(2), 138-146. DOI : 10.1111/nuf.12169
- Y. H. Jun. (2018). Development of Self-management Behavior Scale for Diabetic Chronic Kidney Disease Patients on Hemodialysis. Doctoral dissertation. Chungnam National University, Taejon.
- J. H. Kim. (1995). Effect of Guided Imagery applied to Hemodialysis Patients. Doctoral dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul.
- H. S. Jang, C. S. Lee & Y. H. Yang. (2015). Influence of Uncertainty and Uncertainty Appraisal on Self-management in Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 45(2), 271-279. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.2.271
- S. M. Lim, K. M. Lee & N. Y. Shin. (2018). A Study on the Self-management and Physiological Measurements of Patients on Hemodialysis according to Their Age. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 24(3), 363-370. DOI : 10.22650/JCNR.2018.24.3.363 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.3.363
- A. Y. Lai, H. Ishikawa, T. Kiuchi, N. Mooppil & K. Griva. (2013). Communicative and Critical Health Literary, and Self-management Behaviors in End-stage Renal Disease Patients with Diabetes on Hemodialysis. Patient Education Counselling, 91(2), 221-227. DOI : 10.1016/j.pec.2012.12.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2012.12.018
- E. Y. Choi & H. Y. Lee. (2005). The Relationship of Fatigue, Self Efficacy, Family Support and Sleep Factor in Hemodialysis Patients. Korean Society of Adult Nursing, 17(3), 435-443.
- S. H. Lee. (2016). A Survey of Knowledge and Educational Needs in Therapeutic Diet for Patients with Diabteic Nephropathy. Master dissertation. Inha University, Incheon.
- B. S. Cheema & M. A. Fiatarone Singh. (2005). Exercise Training in Patients Receiving Maintenance Hemodialysis: A Systematic Review of Clinical Trials. American journal of nephrology, 25(4), 352-364. DOI : 10.1159/000087184 https://doi.org/10.1159/000087184
- J. C. Ford, J. F. Pope, A. E. Hunt & B. Gerald. (2004). The Effect of Diet Education on the Laboratory Values and Knowledge of Hemodialysis Patients with Hyperphosphatemia , Journal of Renal Nutrition, 14(1), 36-44. DOI : 10.1053/j.jrn.2003.09.008 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jrn.2003.09.008
- S. B. Noh, H. N. Lim, M. H. Lee & D. R. Kim. (2019). The Effect of Social Support and Resilience on Sick Role Behavior of Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, 10(5), 385-395. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2019.10.5..385
- K. S. Kim & J. W. Ko. (2012). Factors Associated with the Diabetes Self-care Activities of the Elderly with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 32(4), 961-973.
- H. K. Jin, J. H. Kim & M. J. Kim. (2019). Influence of Physical and Psychological Symptoms on Exercise Adherence in Patients with Heart Failure-Focused on the Mediating Effects of Self-efficacy. Journal of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 26(1), 52-61. DOI : 10.7739/jkafn.2019.26.1.52 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2019.26.1.52
- Y. J. Jo & Y. H. Shin. (2011). Depression, Self Care Compliance and Physiological Indices of Hemodialysis Patients. Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science, 15(1), 115-122.
- Y. M. Lee, Y. J. Son & E. J. Lee. (2012). The Study of Health Literacy, Disease-related Knowledge, Self-efficacy and Self-care Behavior of Diabetes Mellitus Patients. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 14(6), 3087-3101.
- H. S. Park & J. L. Cho. (2002). A Study on Self-Care Agency & Self Efficacy of Hemodialysis Patients. The Journal of Korean Academy Society of Home Care Nursing, 9(2), 78-89.
- M. H. Lee, M. S. Song & G. M. Woo. (2002). Relationship between Powerlessness, Self-Efficacy and Quality of Life in Hemodialysis Patients. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 5(2), 166-179.
- J. M. Park & N. Y. Shin. (2018). A Convergence Study on the Relationships between Self-Efficacy and Health Behavior in Eldery Women with Chronic Low Back Pain. Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, 9(2), 43-50. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.2..043
- E. H. Choi. (2010). Symptoms, Mood and Sleep Disturbance in Hemodialysis. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing, 13(2), 105-113.
- B. S. Kim et al. (2003). Clinical Manifestations of Depressive Symptoms in Korea Elderly. Journal of Korean Geriatric Psychiatry, 7(2), 163-177.