- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A convergence study on the Pregnant experience of shift nurses
교대근무 간호사의 임신경험에 대한 융합적 연구
- Lee, Jihae (Division of Nursing, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, WonJeong (Division of Nursing, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2019.06.07
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The purpose of this study is to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the experiences of shift nurses who are pregnant while on duty. The specific research question is, 'What is the meaning of pregnancy experienced by a shift nurse?' For this study, six nurses with experience working at a general hospital while pregnant participated. Data was collected through individual in-depth interviews and analyzed by van Manen's phenomenological methodology. The result of the study uncovered 8 themes and 4 essential themes. The essential themes were 'Difficulty feeling free to conceive'; 'Becoming more conscious of coworkers'; 'Concern about the health of the fetus'; and 'Requirement for effective measures.' The results of this study are significant in providing a convergent understanding of the pregnancy experiences of shift nurses.
- R. T. Mercer & L. O. Walker. (2006). A review of nureing interventions to foster becoming a mother. Journal of Obsteric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 35, 568-582. DOI: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00080.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00080.x
- R. P. Lederman, C. G. Weigarten & E. Lederman. (1984). Post-partum self-evaluation questionarie, measures of matemal adaptaion. Birth Defects, Original Article Series, 17(6), 201-231. DOI: 10.1023/B:MACI.0000037649.24025.2c
- M. H. Jeon. (2000). A study of pregnant nurse's working-focusing on difficulties of nursing process and the way to cope with that difficulties. Unpublished master's thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul, Korea.
- C. S. Park. (2002). Factors influencing on burnout experience on working nurses at hospital. Korean Journal of Woman Health Nursing, 8, 550-558. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2002.8.4.550 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2002.8.4.550
- J. Y. Ku & D. K. Lee. (2017). Raising children of nurse mothers. The journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 22(1), 35-58. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.20437/KOAECE22-1-02 https://doi.org/10.20437/KOAECE22-1-02
- J. Y. Kong & M. Y. Um. (2016). A qualitative case study on the experience of working mothers in labor market: Focusing on direct and indirect discrimination experience. Korean Journal of social work, 15, 149-186.
- National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRCK). (2015). A Survey on the maternal protection human rights of women workders in health and medical science. https://www.humanrights.go.kr/site/programboard/basicboard/view?menuid=001004002001&boardtypeid=24&boardid=612945
- H. P. Kim. (2015). Trend knowledge dictionary. Seoul, People and ideas.
- Korean Health and Medical Workers' Union. (2013). Survey on health workers. http://bogun.nodong.org/xe/index.php?document_srl=264130&mid=khmwu_5_4
- J. H. Jeong. M. H. Choi,, E. Y. Kim.. & Y. H. Kim. (2018). A Convergence Study about Factors Affecting New Nurses Personnel Turnover. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 9(2). 73-83. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.2.073
- J. S. Kim. & Y. S. Lee. (2013). Study on fatigue, stress and burnout of pregnant nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 22(3), 208-217. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.208 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.208
- M. van Manen. (1997). Researching lived experience: Human science for an action sensitive pedagogy. London, Ontario: Althouse Press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315421056
- Legal questions. Pregnant nurse: staying out of harm's way. (1997). Nursing. 27(11), 30. http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=rzh&AN=107234487&lang=ko&site=ehost-live. Accessed June 27, 2019.
- D. R. Gomer. (2004). You Tell Us: Did your practices change while you were pregnant?. ONS News. 19(4). 6-6.
- J. W. Creswell. (2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- S. Dukes. (1984). Phenomenological methodology in the human sciences. Journal of Religion and Health, 23(3), 197-203. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00990785 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00990785
- K. R. Shin. (2003). Theory and practice of phenomenological study in nursing science. Journal of nursing query, 12(1), 49-68.
- Y. S. Lincoln. & E. G. Guba. (1985). Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA:Sage. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1002/9781405165518.wbeosn006
- S. K. Jung. (2011). Labor of Crisis, Nursing of Crisis: Labor Analysis of Hospital Nurses. Series of Research, 5, 1-118.
- K. J. Hong. & S. H. Cho. (2017). Comparison of Nursing Workforce Supply and Employment in South Korea and Other OECD Countries. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 14(2), 55-63. https://doi.org/10.16952/pns.2017.14.2.55 https://doi.org/10.16952/pns.2017.14.2.55
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2018). Health and welfare statistical year book 2018. http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/jb/sjb030301vw.jsp?PARMENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=032901&CONT_SEQ=347082
- Ministry of Employmentand Labor(MOEL). (2019). Labor standards act. http://www.law.go.kr/%EB%B2%95%EB%A0%B9/%EA%B7%BC%EB%A1%9C%EA%B8%B0%EC%A4%80%EB%B2%95
- M. J. Kang. & I. S. Park. (2015). Types of Violence and Coping Methods Experienced by General Hospital Nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 21(1), 92-104
- S. J. Lee. & J. S. Kim. (2017). Convergence study on Relationship among Verbal violence experience, Verbal Violence impact and Burnout in Operating Room Nurses. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 8(6), 85-96. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.085
- Y. H. Jeong. (2015). Convergent approach of phenomenological methodology about emergency nurses' experience of hospital violence. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 6(5), 63-75. DOI:https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.063 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.063
- J. H. Park., K. S. Yoo., E. S. Kong. & S. J. Chang. (2016). Violent Experiences, Responses and Coping of Nurses in Long-Term Care Hospitals in J Province. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 36(3), 869-881.
- W. J. Lee. (2018). Occupational Radiation Exposure and Health Effects among Medical Workers. The Korean Journal of Medicine, 39(3), 237-246. DOI:https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2018.93.3.237 https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2018.39.2.237
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention(KCDK). (2016). National health and nutrition examination survey. https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub03/sub03_02_02.do
- S. J. Kwon. (2018). Healthcare Facility Design Controlling Nosocomial Infection. Korea Institute of Healthcare Architecture. 24(2), 91-92.
- B. Y. Lee. & H. S. Joung. (2008). Association of shiftwork with spontaneous abortion, still birth, preterm birth and low birth weight. Korean Journal of Health Promotion, 8(1), 31-39.
- International Labour Organization(ILO). (2007). Safe Maternity and the world of work, Conditions of Work and Employment Programme. http://www.ilo.org/travail/whatwedo/publications/WCMS_TRAVAIL_PUB_62/lang--en/index.htm