- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of supplementation of acetaminophen on the intake and growth of Hanwoo steers in summer
- Lee, Mingyung (Division of Animal and Dairy Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeon, Seoyoung (Division of Animal and Dairy Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Shin, Dong-Han (Division of Animal and Dairy Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Seongwon (Division of Animal and Dairy Sciences, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.08.16
- Accepted : 2019.06.17
- Published : 2019.09.01
The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of dietary supplementation of acetaminophen on feed intake and growth performance of Hanwoo steers in the summer. Eight steers participated in a twelve-week experiment. The steers were randomly assigned into one of two treatments: Control and acetaminophen supplementation. Commercial acetaminophen was top-dressed to a concentrate mix at a rate of 3 g/kg based on dry matter. Individual feed intake was measured daily during the entire period of the experiment, and the intake of forage and concentrate diet were measured separately. The body weight of the steers were measured every 4 weeks. During the experimental period, ambient temperatures were recorded using an automatic temperature and humidity recorder. Acetaminophen had no effect (p > 0.05) on body weight, average daily gain, dry matter intake (DMI) and feed conversion ratio. Numerically, total DMI and concentrate DMI in the acetaminophen treated group were 5.7% and 7.6% lower than those of the control group, respectively, and the daily gain was 9.7% higher. As a result, the feed conversion rate of the acetaminophen treated group improved by 17% compared to the control; however, it was not statistically significant (p = 0.237). The results of this study suggest that acetaminophen supplementation may reduce the feed conversion ratio of Hanwoo steers under high temperature stress. However, further studies are needed to confirm the optimal level of acetaminophen supplementation which has a significant effect on the intake and weight gain of Hanwoo steers in the summer.
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Harmon R, Lu M, Trammel D, Smith B. 1997. Influence of heat stress and calving on antioxidant activity in bovine blood. Journal of Dairy Science 80:264. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)75934-4
- Hinz B, Cheremina O, Brune K. 2008. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor in man. The FASEB Jsournal 22:383-390. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.07-8506com
- Huber J, Higginbotham G, Gomez-Alarcon R, Taylor R, Chen K, Chan S, Wu Z. 1994. Heat stress interactions with protein supplemental Fat, and fungal cultures. Journal of Dairy Science 77:2080-2090. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77151-4
- Jo N, Jung J, Kim J, Lee J, Jeong S, Kim W, Sung H, Seo S. 2014. Effect of vaccination against foot-and-mouth disease on growth performance of Korean native goat (Capra hircus coreanae). Journal of Animal Science 92:2578-2586. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7190
- Khor B, Gardet A, Xavier RJ. 2011. Genetics and pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Nature 474:307-317. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature10209
- Krishnamoorthy U, Muscato TV, Sniffen CJ, Van Soest PJ. 1982. Nitrogen fractions in selected feedstuffs. Journal of Dairy Science 65:217-225. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82180-2
- Cho YK, Choi SH, Han OK, Park JH, Choi CW. 2016. A study on changes in feed digestibility and establishment of energy requirement for main tenance of growing Hanwoo steers under severe heat stress. Journal of Agriculture & Life Science 50:163-172. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2016.50.5.163
- Choi CW. 2018. Nutrient requirement for maintenance and nutritional changes of the Hanwoo steers in early-fattening stage under heat stress. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 45:74-83. [in Korean]
- De Rensis F, Scaramuzzi RJ. 2003. Heat stress and seasonal effects on reproduction in the dairy cow-a review. Theriogenology 60:1139-1151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(03)00126-2
- El-Kholy MS, El-Hindawy MM, Alagawany M, El-Hack MEA, El-Sayed SA. 2018. Use of acetylsalicylic acid as an allostatic modulator in the diets of growing Japanese quails exposed to heat stress. Journal of Thermal Biology 74:6-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtherbio.2018.02.011
- El-Soud SBA, Ebeid TA, Eid YZ. 2006. Physiological and antioxidative effects of dietary acetyl salicylic acid in laying Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) under high ambient temperature. The Journal of Poultry Science 43:255-265. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.43.255
- Fuquay J. 1981. Heat stress as it affects animal production. Journal of Animal Science 52:164-174. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.521164x
- Goering HK, Van Soest PJ. 1970. Forage fiber analyses (apparatus, reagents, procedures, and some applications). Agriculture Handbook No. 379. Agricultural Research Service, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Hahn G, Chen Y, Nienaber J, Eigenberg R, Parkhurst A. 1992. Characterizing animal stress through fractal analysis of thermoregulatory responses. Journal of Thermal Biology 17:115-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4565(92)90008-4
- Hall MB. 2009. Analysis of starch, including maltooligosaccharides, in animal feeds: A comparison of methods and a recommended method for AOAC collaborative study. Journal of AOAC International 92:42-49.
- Zimbelman R, Baumgard L, Collier R. 2010. Effects of encapsulated niacin on evaporative heat loss and body temperature in moderately heat-stressed lactating Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science 93:2387-2394. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2009-2557
- Alhidary I, Shini S, Al Jassim R, Abudabos A, Gaughan J. 2015. Effects of selenium and vitamin E on performance, physiological response, and selenium balance in heat-stressed sheep. Journal of animal science 93:576-588. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-8419
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 2000. Official methods of analysis. AOAC, Gaithersburg, USA.
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 2005. Official methods of analysis. AOAC, Gaithersburg, USA.
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 2006. Official methods of analysis. AOAC, Gaithersburg, USA.
- Beede D, Collier R. 1986. Potential nutritional strategies for intensively managed cattle during thermal stress. Journal of Animal Science 62:543-554. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.622543x
- Bernabucci U, Ronchi B, Lacetera N, Nardone A. 2002. Markers of oxidative status in plasma and erythrocytes of transition dairy cows during hot season. Journal of Dairy Science 85:2173-2179. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74296-3
- Chaiyotwittayakun A, Erskine R, Bartlett P, Herdt T, Sears P, Harmon R. 2002. The effect of ascorbic acid and L-histidine therapy on acute mammary inflammation in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science 85:60-67. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74053-8
- Chauhan S, Celi P, Leury B, Clarke I, Dunshea F. 2014. Dietary antioxidants at supranutritional doses improve oxidative status and reduce the negative effects of heat stress in sheep. Journal of Animal Science 92:3364-3374. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7714
- Kumar N, Garg A, Dass R, Chaturvedi V, Mudgal V, Varshney V. 2009. Selenium supplementation influences growth performance, antioxidant status and immune response in lambs. Animal Feed Science and Technology 153:77-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2009.06.007
- Licitra G, Hernandez TM, Van Soest PJ. 1996. Standardization of procedures for nitrogen fractionation of ruminant feeds. Animal Feed Science and Technology 57:347-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00837-3
- Mahmood KAS, Ahmed JH, Jawad AM. 2009. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ros): A review of literature. The Medical Journal of Basrah University 27:46-53. https://doi.org/10.33762/mjbu.2009.49041
- Marshall TS, Constable PD, Crochik SS, Wittek T. 2005. Determination of abomasal emptying rate in suckling calves by use of nuclear scintigraphy and acetaminophen absorption. American Journal of Veterinary Research 66:364-374. https://doi.org/10.2460/ajvr.2005.66.364
- Moore C, Kay J, Collier R, VanBaale M, Baumgard L. 2005. Effect of supplemental conjugated linoleic acids on heat-stressed Brown Swiss and Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science 88:1732-1740. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72846-0
- Morrison S. 1983. Ruminant heat stress: Effect on production and means of alleviation. Journal of Animal Science 57:1594-1600. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.5761594x
- NRC (National Research Council). 1981. Effect of environment on nutrient requirements of domestic animals. National Academies Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- NRC (National Research Council). 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. National Academies Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- O'Brien MD, Rhoads RP, Sanders SR, Duff GC, Baumgard LH. 2010. Metabolic adaptations to heat stress in growing cattle. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 38:86-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2009.08.005
- Park DW, Hwangbo S, Han OK, Jo IH, Choi CW. 2015. A study on establishment of nutrient requirement for maintenance of Hanwoo cow under heat stress. Journal of Agriculture & Life Science 49:225-235. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2015.49.5.225
- Rejeb M, Sadraoui R, Najar T. 2016. Role of vitamin C on immune function under heat stress condition in dairy cows. Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 11:717-724. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2016.717.724
- Rokade J, Bhanja S, Shinde A, Bhaisare DB, Mandal A. 2016. Evaluation of aspirin (ASA) in broiler chicken during hot dry summer using zoo technical, molecular and physio-biochemical tools. Indian Journal of Animal Research 51:97-104.
- Sandikci M, Eren U, Onol A, Kum S. 2004. The effect of heat stress and the use of Saccharomyces cerevisiae or (and) bacitracin zinc against heat stress on the intestinal mucosa in quails. Revue de medecine veterinaire 155:552-556.
- Schaer S, Herrli-Gygi M, Kosmeas N, Boschung H, Steiner A. 2005. Characteristics of acetaminophen absorption in healthy unweaned calves as an indirect measurement of the oroduodenal transit rate of liquid meals. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases 52:325-332.
- Schingoethe D, Linke K, Kalscheur K, Hippen A, Rennich D, Yoon I. 2004. Feed efficiency of mid-lactation dairy cows fed yeast culture during summer. Journal of Dairy Science 87:4178-4181. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73561-4
- Seo J, Song M, Jo N, Kim W, Jeong S, Kim J, Lee S, Seo S. 2019. The co-injection of antioxidants with foot-and-mouth disease vaccination altered growth performance and blood parameters of finishing Holstein steers. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Science 32:792-799. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0609
- Sivakumar A, Singh G, Varshney V. 2010. Antioxidants supplementation on acid base balance during heat stress in goats. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 23:1462-1468. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90471
- Stilborn H, Harris Jr G, Bottje W, Waldroup P. 1988. Ascorbic acid and acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) in the diet of broilers maintained under heat stress conditions. Poultry Science 67:1183-1187. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0671183
- Tripathy D, Grammas P. 2009. Acetaminophen inhibits neuronal inflammation and protects neurons from oxidative stress. Journal of Neuroinflammation 6:10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-2094-6-10
- Turner H, Taylor C. 1983. Dynamic factors in models of energy utilization with particular reference to maintenance requirement of cattle. World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics 42:135-190.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson J, Lewis B. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Journal of Dairy Science 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Weismann D, Hartvigsen K, Lauer N, Bennett KL, Scholl HP, Issa PC, Cano M, Brandstatter H, Tsimikas S, Skerka C. 2011. Complement factor H binds malondialdehyde epitopes and protects from oxidative stress. Nature 478:76-81. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature10449
- Zhang X, Zhu H, Qian Z, Tang S, Wu D, Kemper N, Hartung J, Bao E. 2016. The association of Hsp90 expression induced by aspirin with anti-stress damage in chicken myocardial cells. Journal of Veterinary Science 17:35-44. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2016.17.1.35