- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of cellulose nano beads based a rapid detection kit to detect staphylococcal enterotoxin B
- Kim, Giyoung (Department of Agricultural Engineering, National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yoo, Jinyoung (Department of Agricultural Engineering, National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Saetbyeol (Department of Agricultural Engineering, National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2019.04.29
- Accepted : 2019.07.08
- Published : 2019.09.01
Staphylococcal enterotoxin is a very common cause of food poisoning. Conventional detection methods for the toxin including enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs), chemiluminescence (ECL), and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays require a lot of time, efforts, and expert technicians. Lateral flow strip kits have shown great potential for the rapid detection of foodborne pathogens. The lateral flow strip kit is widely used in clinical settings because it is easy to use, fast, and cost effective. A typical lateral flow strip kit uses colloidal gold to generate a visual signal. However, the lateral flow strip kit based on colloidal gold has limited sensitivity to fulfill food safety regulation requirements. This study was performed to develop a rapid test kit for pathogenic staphylococcal enterotoxin B (SEB) in food samples. The rapid detection kit was fabricated based on a nitrocellulose lateral-flow strip. Cellulose nano beads and SEB antibodies were used as the tag and receptor, respectively, to improve the detection performance. Manually spotted SEB antibody and anti-rabbit antibody on the surface of the nitrocellulose membrane were used as test and control spots, respectively. The feasibility of the rapid test kit to detect SEB in samples was evaluated. The sensitivity of the kit was 10 ng/mL SEB spiked in PBS. Additionally, the rapid test kit could detect 1 ng/mL of SEB in chicken meat extract.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Anfossi L, D'Arco G, Calderara M, Baggiani C, Giovannoli C, Giraudi G. 2011. Development of a quantitative lateral flow immunoassay for the detection of aflatoxins in maize. Food Additives & Contaminants Part A 28:226-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2010.540763
- Bae HJ, Park HJ. 2007. Hazard analysis of Stpahylococcus aureus in ready-to-eat sandwiches. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition 36:938-943. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.7.938
- Cho YS, Lee JY, Lee MK, Shin DB, Kim DH, Park MK. 2011. Prevalence and characterization of Staphylococcus aureus pathogenic factors isolated from various foods in Korea. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology 43:648-654. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.5.648
- Gholamzad M, Khatami MR, Ghassemi S, Malekshahi ZV, Shooshtari MB. 2015. Detection of Staphylococcus enterotoxin B (SEB) using an immunochromatographic test strip. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology 8:e26793.
- Irina VP, Ellen JB, Victor ER. 2010. Staphylococcal enterotoxins. Toxins 2010:2177-2197.
- KCDC (Korea Centers for Disease Control Prevention). 2018. Prevention of Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning. Accessed in http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/cms/content/mobile/15/49915_view.html. on 17 April 2019. [in Korean]
- Kim G, Lim JG, Mo CY. 2015. A review on lateral flow test strip for food safety. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 40:277-283. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2015.40.3.277
- Kim G, Yang G, Park SB, Kim YH, Lee KJ, Son JY, Kim HJ, Lee SR. 2011. Rapid detection kit for Salmonella typhimurium. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 36:140-146. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.2.140
- MFDS (Ministry of Food and Drug Safety). 2015. Risk assessment of Staphylococcus aureus in gimbap. MFDS, Cheongju, Korea. [in Korean]
- MFDS (Ministry of Food and Drug Safety). 2016. Hazardous material handy handbook-Staphylococcus aureus. MFDS, Cheongju, Korea. [in Korean]
- Posthuma-Trumpie GA, Korf J, Amerongen A. 2009. Lateral flow (immuno) assay: Its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. A literature survey. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 393:569-582. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-008-2287-2
- Wang DB, Tian B, Zhang ZP, Deng JY, Cui ZQ, Yang RF, Wang XY, Wei HP, Zhang XE. 2013. Rapid detection of Bacillus anthracis spores using a super-paramagnetic lateral-flow immunological detection system. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 42:661-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2012.10.088