- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Changes in growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat properties of late fattening Hanwoo steers according to supplementation of rumen protected methionine and lysine
- Ahn, Jun-Sang (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kwon, Eung-Gi (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Jong-Suh (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Min-Ji (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Son, Gi-Hwal (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Choi, Chang-Six (Kangwon Livestock Technology Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Chang-Woo (Kangwon Livestock Technology Research Institute) ;
- Park, Joong-Kook (Nonghyup Feed Co., LTD.) ;
- Park, Byung-Ki (Nonghyup Feed Co., LTD.)
- Received : 2019.02.19
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.09.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of rumen-protected methionine and lysine (RPML) on the growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat properties of Hanwoo steers. Fourteen late fattening steers were randomly assigned to either the control (commercial concentrate + rice straw) or the treatment (commercial concentrate + rice straw + 20 g of RPML/head/day) group. The average daily gain (ADG) and feed conversion ratio (FCR) were not different between the treatment and control group. The rib eye area was slightly but not significantly higher in the treatment group than in the control group. The back fat thickness decreased with the RPML supplementation, although not significantly, and the appearance of yield C grade was lower in the treatment group than in the control group. The marbling score was similar between the control and treatment groups. The supplementation of RPML had no effect on the physicochemical compositions, myoglobin values, Commission Internationale de
Supported by : 국립축산과학원
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 2005. Official methods of analysis, 18th ed. AOAC, Arlington, USA.
- Bendall JR. 1978. Variability in rates of pH fall and of lactate production in the muscles on cooling beef carcasses. Meat Science 2:91-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(78)90010-4
- Cameron PJ, Zembayashi DK, Lunt T, Mitsuhashi M, Mitsumoto S, Smith SB. 1994. Relationship between Japanese beef marbling standard and intramuscular lipid in the M. longissimus thoracis of Japanese black and American Wagyu cattle. Meat Science 38:361-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90125-2
- Cho SH, Park BY, Kim JH, Hwang IH, Kim JH, Lee JM. 2005. Fatty acid profiles and sensory properties of longissimus dorsi , triceps brachii , and semimembranosus muscles from Korean Hanwoo and Australian Angus beef. Asian-Australian Journal of Animal Science 18:1786-1793. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1786
- Cho WG, Lee SJ, Ko YH, Chang IS, Lee SS, Moon YH. 2013. Effects of dietary type during late fattening phase on the growth performance, blood characteristics and carcass traits in Hanwoo steers. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 55:443-449. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.5.443
- Chung KY, Chang SS, Lee EM, Kim HJ, Park BH, Kwon EG. 2015. Effects of high energy diet on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and blood constituents of final fattening Hanwoo steers. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 42:261-268. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2015.42.3.261
- Demos BP, Gerrard DE, Mandigo RW, Gao X, Tan J. 1996. Mechanically recovered neck bone lean and ascorbic acid improve color stability of ground beef patties. Journal of Food Science 61:656-659. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb13180.x
- Faustman C, Sun Q, Mancini R, Suman SP. 2010 Myoglobin and lipid oxidation interactions: Mechanistic bases and control. Meat Science 86:86-94.
- Folch J, Lees M, Stanley GHS. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry 226:497-509.
- Hofmann K. 1982. Neues uber die bestimmung der wasserbindung des fleisches mit hilfe der filterpapier prebmethode. Fleischwirtsch 62:87-94.
- Hussein HS, Berger LL. 1995. Feedlot performance and carcass characteristics of Holstein steers as affected by source of dietary protein and level of ruminally protected lysine and methionine. Journal of Animal Science 73:3503-3509. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73123503x
- Igene JO, Pearson AM, Dugan AM, Price JF. 1980. Role of triglycerides and phospholipids on development of rancidity in model meat systems during frozen storage. Food Chemistry 5:263-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(80)90048-5
- KIAPQE (Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation). 2018. Animal products grading statistical yearbook. Report No.: 11-B552679-000006-10. KIAPQE, Sejong, Korea. [in Korean]
- Kim BK, Oh DY, Hwang EG, Song YH, Lee SO, Jung KK, Ha JJ. 2013. The effects of different crude protein levels in the concentrates on carcass and meat quality characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 55:61-66. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.1.61
- Kim DH. 2009. Effects of high-concentrate diets on ruminal fermentation and liver function in Hanwoo streers. Ph.D. dissertation, Gyeongsang National Univ., Jinju, Korea. [in Korean]
- Kim HC, Lee CW, Park BK, Lee SM, Kwon EG, Im SK, Jeon GJ, Park YS, Hong SK. 2010. Studies on growth performance and meat quality improvement of the unselected Hanwoo bulls in the performance test. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 52:427-434. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.5.427
- Kim JH. 2015. Studies on the effect of finishing feeding regimen on the performance, carcass grade and economic analysis in Hanwoo steers. M.S. dissertation, Gyeongnam National Univ., Jinju, Korea. [in Korean]
- Ko KS. 2012. Hepatoprotective functions of sulfur containing amino acids: Possibilities of hepatocellular carcinoma prevention. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology 44:654-657. [in Korean]
- Kook K, Kim KH. 2005. Changes of physico-chemical, microbiological and sensory properties on Hanwoo beef fed with supplemental Bamboo Vinegar during refrigerated storage. Korean Journal of Food Science Animal Resource 25:403-408. [in Korean]
- Krzywicki K. 1979. Assessment of relative content of myoglobin, oxymyoglobin and metmyoglobin at the surface of beef. Meat Science 3:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(79)90019-6
- Kung LJ, Rode LM. 1996. Amino acid metabolism in ruminants. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 59:167-172. [in Korean]
- Lawrie RA. 1985. Meat science. pp. 169-207. Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK.
- Ledward DA, Macfarlane JJ. 1971. Some observations on myoglobin and lipid oxidatin in frozen beef. Journal of Food Science 36:987-990.
- Lee JM, Park BY, Cho SH, Kim JH, Yoo YM, Chae HS, Choi YI. 2004. Analysis of carcass quality grade components and chemico-physical and sensory traits of M. longissimus dorsi in Hanwoo. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 46:833-840. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.5.833
- Lee YJ, Kim CK, Park BY, Seong PN, Kim JH, Kang GH, Kim DH, Cho SH. 2010. Chemical composition, cholesterol, trans-fatty acids contents, pH, meat color, water holding capacity and cooking loss of Hanwoo beef (Korean native cattle) quality grade. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources 30:997-1006. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.997
- MAFRA (Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs). 2018. Grade rule for cattle carcass in Korea. MAFRA, Sejong, Korea.
- Mayes PA. 1981. Metabolism of lipids: II. Role of the tissue. In Harper's Review of Biochemistry Martin DW, Mayes PA, Rodwell VW (18th Ed.). pp. 222-244. Lange Med. Publ., Los Altos, USA.
- Mayes PA. 1996. Oxidation of fatty acids: Ketogenesis. In Harper's biochemistry Murray RK, Granner DK, Mayes PA, Rodwell VW (Eds). pp. 224-235. Appleton and Lange, Stamford, USA.
- NRC (National Research Council). 2000. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle, 7th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Park BK, Choi NJ, Kim HC, Kim TI, Cho YM, Oh YK, Jang HY. 2010a. Effects of amino acid-enriched ruminally protected fatty acids on plasma metabolites, growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 23:1013-1021. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90559
- Park BK, Lee SM, Kim HC, Chang SS, Kim TI, Cho YM, Choi CW, Hong SK, Kwon EG. 2010b. Effects of ruminally protected amino acid-enriched fatty acids on growth performance and carcass characteristics of fattening Hanwoo cows. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 52:499-504. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.6.499
- Park BY, Cho SH, Kim JH, Lee SH, Hwang IH, Kim DH, Kim WY, Lee JM. 2005. Effects of organic selenium supplementation on meat quality of Hanwoo steers. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 47:277-282. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.2.277
- Ponnampalam EN, Hosking BJ, Egan AR. 2003. Rate of carcass components gain, carcass characteristics, and muscle longissimus tenderness in lambs fed dietary protein sources with a low quality roughage diet. Meat Science 63:143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00202-9
- Rogers JA, Krishnamoorthy U, Sniffen CJ. 1987. Plasma amino acids and milk protein production by cows fed rumen-protected methionine and lysine. Journal of Dairy Science 70:789-798. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80075-9
- Rossi JE, Loerch SC, Fluharty FL. 2000. Effects of crude protein concentration on diets feedlot steers fed to achieve stepwise increases in rate of gain. Journal of Animal Science 78:3036-3044. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78123036x
- Rule DC, Busboom JR, Kercher CJ. 1994. Effect of dietary canola on fatty acid composition of bovine adipose tissue, muscle, kidney, and liver. Journal of Animal Science 72:2735-2744. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.72102735x
- Seol KH, Kim KH, Kim YH, Youm KE, Lee MH. 2014. Effect of temperature and relative humidity in refrigerator on quality traits and storage characteristics of Pre-packed Hanwoo loin. Journal of Agricultural Science 41:415-424.
- Sinnhuber RO, Yu TC. 1977. The 2-thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, an objective measure of the oxidative deterioration occurring in fats and oils. Journal of Japan Oil Chemists' Society 26:259-267. https://doi.org/10.5650/jos1956.26.259
- Smith SB, Gill CA, Lunt DK, Brooks MA. 2009. Regulation of fat and fatty acid composition in beef cattle. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 22:1225-1233. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.r.10
- Strange EE, Benedicts RC, Gugger RE, Metzger VG, Swift CE. 1974. Simplified methodology for measuringmeat color. Journal of Food Science 39:988-992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1974.tb07293.x
- Titgemeyer EC, Merchen NR, Berger LL, Deetz LE. 1988. Estimation of lysine and methionine requirements of growing steers fed corn silage-based or corn-based diets. Journal of Dairy Science 71:421-434. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79572-7
- Van Soest PV, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Journal of Dairy Science 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Veira DM, Seone JR, Prolux JG. 1991. Utilizationof grass silage by growing cattle: Effect of a supplement containing ruminally protected amino acids. Journal of Animal Science 69:4703-4709. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.69124703x
- Wistuba TJ, Kegley EB, Apple JK. 2006. Influence of fish oil in finishing diets on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and sensory evaluation of cattle. Journal of Animal Science 84:902-909. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.844902x
- Witte VC, Krause GF, Bailey ME. 1970. A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. Journal of Food Science 35:582-585. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb04815.x
- Wright MD, Loerch SC. 1988. Effects of rumen-protected amino acids on ruminant nitrogen balance, plasma amino acid concentrations and performance. Journal of Animal Science 66:2014-2027. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.6682014x