- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A new record of the leafhopper genusBatracomorphus Lewis (Hemiptera: Auchenorrhyncha: Cicadellidae) from Korea with a key to the KoreanBatracomorphus species
- Kim, Eunji (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Sumin (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Gwan-Seok (Department of Plant Protection, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Wang-Hee (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jung, Sunghoon (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2019.04.19
- Accepted : 2019.08.22
- Published : 2019.09.01
The leafhopper genus Batracomorphus Lewis, 1834 belongs to the tribe Batracomorphini (Hemiptera: Auchenorrhyncha: Cicadellidae: Iassinae). B. irroratus Lewis, 1834 was designated as its type species. The genus includes most diverse species in the subfamily Iassinae and contains approximately 350 described species from the world. In Korea, four Batracomorphus species, B. allioni (Turton, 1802), B. punctilliger Anufriev, 1981, B. stigmaticus (Matsumura, 1912), B. viridulus (Melichar, 1902), have been reported in the Korean peninsula. The members of this genus have a similar body size and similar general appearances; thus, it is very difficult to identify clearly without examining the male's genital structures. In this study, Batracomorphus furcatus Li and Wang, 2003 is newly reported from Korea for the first time. This species is previously known to be from China. Herein, the morphological information of B. furcatus Li and Wang is provided with a re-description, photographs of the male dorsal habitus, illustrations of the genitalia structure and distributional records. In addition, a key to the Korean five species of Batracomorphus is presented.
- Anufriev GA. 1981. Homopterological reports I-III. (Homoptera, Auchenorrhyncha). Reichenbachia 19:159-173.
- Anufriev GA, Emeljanov AF. 1988. Homoptera and Heteroptera. In Keys to Insects of the Far East of the USSR Vol. II. edited by Lehr DA. pp. 12-495. Nauka Publishing House, Leningrad, Russia.
- Dietrich CH. 2005. Keys to the families of Cicadomorpha and subfamilies and tribes of Cicadellidea (Hemiptera: Auchenorrhyncha). Florida Entomologist 88:502-517. https://doi.org/10.1653/0015-4040(2005)88[502:KTTFOC]2.0.CO;2
- Evans JW. 1972. Some leafhoppers from New Guinea, Australia and Thailand belonging to the subfamily Jassinae and a new genus from New Guinea referred to a new subfamily the Acostemminae (Homoptera: Cicadellidae). Pacific Insects 14:647-662.
- Gnezdilov VM. 2008. Arboridia kakogawana : a new pest of grapevine in southern Russia. Bulletin of Insectology 61:203-204.
- Knight WJ. 1983. The leafhopper genus Batracomorphus (Cicadellidae: Iassinae) in the eastern Oriental and Australian regions. Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) Entomology 47:27-210.
- Krishnankutty SM, Dietrich CH, Dai W, Siddappaji MH. 2016. Phylogeny and historical biogeography of leafhopper subfamily Iassinae (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae) with a revised tribal classification based on morphological and molecular data. Systematic Entomology 41:580-595. https://doi.org/10.1111/syen.12175
- Lee CE, Kwon YJ. 1977. Studies on the spittlebugs, leafhoppers and planthoppers (Auchenorrhyncha, Homoptera, Hemiptera). Nature & Life 7:55-111.
- Lee CE, Kwon YJ. 1979. Illustrated flora & fauna of Korea. Vol. 23. Insecta (VII). Ministry of Education, Seoul, Korea. [in Korean]
- Lewis RH. 1834. Descriptions of some new genera of British Homoptera. Transactions of the Entomological Society of London 1:47-52.
- Li Z, Wang L. 2003. Notes on Chinese species of Batracomorphus Lewis with descriptions of seven new species (Homoptera, Cicadellidae, Iassinae). Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica 28:130-136.
- Matsumura S. 1912. Die Acocephalinen und Bythoscopinen Japans. Journal of the College of Agriculture Tohoku Imperial University 4:279-325.
- Melichar L. 1902. Homopteren aus West China, Persien und dem Sud-Ussuri-Gebiete. Annuaire du Musee Zoologique de l'Academie Imperiale des Sciences de St. Petersbourg 7:76-146.
- Nickel H, Callot H, Knop E, Kunz G, Schrameyer K, Sprick P, Walter S. 2013. Penestragania apicalis (Osborn & Ball, 1898), another invasive Nearctic leafhopper found in Europe (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae, Iassinae). Cicadina 13:5-15.
- Turton W. 1802. A general system of nature through the three grand kingdoms of animals, vegetables, and minerals; systematically divided into their several classes, orders, genera, species, and varieties with their habitations, manners, economy, structures, and peculiarities. Translated from Gmelin's Last Edition of the Celebrated Systema Naturae [1783-1793] by Sir Charles Linne: Amended and Enlarged by the Improvements and Discoveries of Later Naturalists and Societies. Vol. 2. Lackington, London, UK.