- Volume 46 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of the storage environment on the quality attributes of eggs with a washing treatment
- Joshi, Ritu (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Joshi, Rahul (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Faqeerzada, Mohammad Akbar (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Eunsoo (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Bae, Hyungjin (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Jayoung (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyeon Tae (Department of Biosystems Engineering, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Cho, Byoung-Kwan (Department of Biosystems Machinery Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2019.06.18
- Accepted : 2019.08.22
- Published : 2019.09.01
The term quality or freshness of eggs in industrial production still poses concerns regarding whether washing is necessary. Therefore, the aims of this study were to examine the effects of different storage times and temperatures and to perform a comparison between washed and unwashed eggs. A total of 1000 washed and 1000 unwashed egg samples were stored at three different temperatures (5, 10, and
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (IPET)
- Ahmed MR, Yasmin J, Lee WH, Mo C, Cho BK. 2017. Imaging technologies for nondestructive measurement of internal properties of agriculture products: A review. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 42:199-216.
- Ahn DU, Sell JL, Jo C, Chamruspollert M, Jeffrey M. 1999. Effects of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on the quality characteristics of chicken eggs during refrigerated storage. Poultry Science 78:922-928. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.6.922
- Akyurek H, Okur AA. 2001. Effects of storage time, temperature and hen age on egg quality in free-range layer hens. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 8:1953-1958.
- Bain MM. 2005. Recent advances in the assessment of eggshell quality and their future application. World's Poultry Science Journal 61:278-277. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS200457
- EEC (European Economic Community). 1989. Council directive 89/437/EEC. Official Journal of the European Union L 212 (20 June 1989).
- EEC (European Economic Community). 2003. Commission regulation (EC) No. 2295/2003. Official Journal of the European Union L 340/16 (23 December 2003).
- Favier GI, Escudero ME, Velaquez L, de Guzman AM. 2000. Reduction of Yersinia enterocolitica and mesophilic aerobic bacteria in egg-shell by washing with surfactants and their effect on the shell microstructure. Food Microbiology 17:73-81. https://doi.org/10.1006/fmic.1999.0295
- Fisinin VI, Papazyan TT, Surai PF. 2008. Producing specialist poultry products to meet human nutrition requirements: Selenium enriched eggs. World's Poultry Science Journal 64:85-98. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933907001742
- Froning GN. 2008. Egg products industry and future perspectives. In Mine Y (Ed.) Egg Bioscience and Biotechnology. pp. 307-325. John Wiley, New Jersey, USA.
- Hassan A, Aylin AO. 2009. Effect of storage time, temperature and hen age on egg quality in free range layer. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 8:1953-1958.
- Haugh RR. 1937. A new method for determining the quality of an egg, U.S. Poultry Magazine 39:27-29.
- Jones DR. 2006. Conserving and monitoring shell egg quality. pp. 157-165. Proceedings of the 18th Annual Australian Poultry Science Symposium.
- Keener KM, Mcavoy KC, Foegeding JB, Curtis PA, Anderson KW, Osborne JA. 2006. Effect of testing temperature on internal egg quality measurements. Poultry Science 85:550-555. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.3.550
- Kim JW, Slavik MF. 1996. Changes in eggshell surface microstructure after washing with cetylpyridinium chloride or trisodium phosphate. Journal of Food Protection 59:859-863. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-59.8.859
- Lee H, Huy TQ, Park E, Bae HJ, Baek I, Kim MS, Mo C, Cho BK. 2017. Machine vision technique for rapid measurement of soybean seed vigor. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 42:227-233.
- Messens W, Gittins J, Leleu S, Sparks N. 2011. Egg decontamination by egg washing. In Nys Y, Bain M, Van Immerseel, F. Editors. Improving the safety and quality of eggs and egg products. pp. 163-180. Woodhead Publishing Limited Cambridge, UK.
- Monira KN, Salahuddin M, Miah G. 2003. Effect of breed and holding period on egg quality characteristics of chickens. International Journal of Poultry Science 2:261-263. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2003.261.263
- Oh HJ, Cho JH, Lee Y, Yu SB, Lee JJ, Cho SK. 2018. Effect of natural mineral complex on egg quality, egg production and hatchability in laying hens during the summer seasons. 45:229-237.
- Oliveira GE. 2009. Bioactive amines and quality of egg from Dekalb hens under different storage conditions. Poultry Science 88:2428-2434. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00028
- Ragni L, Shami AAl, Mikhaylenko G, Tang J. 2007. Dielectric characterization of hen eggs during storage. Journal of Food Engineering 82:450-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.02.063
- Rahman A, Park E, Bae H, Cho BK. 2018. Hyperspectral imaging technique to evaluate the firmness and the sweetness index of tomatoes. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 45:823-837.
- Silversides FG, Budgell K. 2004. The relationships among measures of egg albumen height, pH, and whipping volume. Poultry Science 83:1619-1623. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.10.1619
- Sugino H, Nitoda T, Juneja LR. 1997. General chemical composition of hen eggs. In Yamamoto T, Juneja LR, Hatta H, Kim M (Eds.) Hen eggs: Their basic and applied science. pp. 13-23. CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA.
- Tiwari A, Jha SK. 2017. Effect of nitrogen gas enriched packing on quality and storage life of pearl millet based fried snack. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 42:62-68. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2017.42.1.062
- Tona K, Bamelis F, Keteleare BD, Bruggeman V, Decuypere E. 2002. Albumen quality, carbon dioxide pressure in air cell and performance. International Hatchery Practice 16-3.
- USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). 2000. Egg grading manual (AH-75). Accessed in http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName1/4STELDEV3004502 on 2 May 2013.
- Wang H, Slavik MF. 1998. Bacterial penetration into eggs washed with various chemicals and stored at different temperatures and times. Journal of Food Protection 61:276-279. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-61.3.276
- Wu J. 2014. Eggs and egg products processing. Food processing: Principles and Applications, Second Edition.