- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Plank Exercises with the Contraction of the Adductor Muscle of the Hip Joint on Core Muscle Thickness
엉덩관절 모음근의 수축을 동반한 플랭크 운동이 중심 근육의 두께에 미치는 영향
- Ko, Min-Gyun (Department of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Song, Chang-Ho (Department of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2019.05.19
- Accepted : 2019.06.21
- Published : 2019.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of plank exercises involving the contraction of the adductor muscle of the hip joint on core muscle thickness and to propose an effective plank exercise method. Methods: A total of 30 healthy young adults (17 males, 13 females) voluntarily participated in the study. The subjects were randomized to the prone plank exercise with hip adductor contraction (n=10), the prone plank exercise (n=10), and the supine plank exercise (n=10) groups. Muscle thickness measurements were taken prior to starting the exercise program and after completing the program at the end of a 4-week period. The muscle thickness of the rectus abdominis (RA), multifidus (MF), external oblique (EO), internal oblique (IO), and transverse abdominis (TrA) muscles were measured using ultrasonography. Each group performed the stipulated plank exercise five times a week as follows: 5 sets of 20 seconds during the first week, 5 sets of 30 seconds in the second week, 5 sets of 40 seconds in the third week, and 5 sets of 40 seconds in the last week. Results: The three different types of plank exercises all showed significantly increased thickness of the RA, MF, EO, IO, and TrA (P<0.05). Furthermore, changes in the thickness of both the MF and TrA were statistically more significant in the groups that did the prone plank exercise with the hip adductor contraction and the supine plank exercise than in the prone plank exercise group (P<0.05). Conclusion: The study results suggest that the prone plank exercise with hip adductor contraction is a more effective method for overall activation of the RA, MF, EO, IO, and TrA than the prone plank exercise and the supine plank exercise.
- Akima H, Ushiyama JI, Kubo J, et al. Effect of unloading on muscle volume with and without resistance training. Acta Astronautica. 2007;60(8-9):728-736. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2006.10.006
- Akuthota V, Ferreiro A, Moore T, et al. Core stability exercise principles. Current sports medicine reports. 2008;7(1):39-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CSMR.0000308663.13278.69
- Akuthota V, Nadler SF. Core strengthening1. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2004;85:86-92.
- Brill P, Couzens GS. The core program: fifteen minutes a day that can change your life. New York. Bantam. 2008.
- Cholewicki J, Panjabi MM, Khachatryan A. Stabilizing function of trunk flexor-extensor muscles around a neutral spine posture. Spine. 1997;22(19):2207-2212. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199710010-00003
- Czaprowski D, Afeltowicz A, Gebicka A, et al. Abdominal muscle EMG-activity during bridge exercises on stable and unstable surfaces. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2014;15(3):162-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2013.09.003
- Ekstrom RA, Donatelli RA, Carp KC. Electromyographic analysis of core trunk, hip, and thigh muscles during 9 rehabilitation exercises. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2007;37(12):754-762. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2007.2471
- Handzel TM. Core training for improved performance. NSCA's Performance Training Journal. 2003;2(6):26-30.
- Hemborg B, Moritz U, Hamberg J, et al. Intraabdominal pressure and trunk muscle activity during lifting--effect of abdominal muscle training in healthy subjects. Scandinavian journal of rehabilitation medicine. 1983;15(4):183-196.
- Hibbs AE, Thompson KG, French D, et al. Optimizing performance by improving core stability and core strength. Sports medicine. 2008;38(12):995-1008. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200838120-00004
- Hides J, Stanton W, McMahon S, et al. Effect of stabilization training on multifidus muscle cross-sectional area among young elite cricketers with low back pain. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2008;38(3):101-108. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2008.2658
- Hodges PW. The role of the motor system in spinal pain: implications for rehabilitation of the athlete following lower back pain. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2000;3(3):243-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1440-2440(00)80033-X
- Hodges PW. Core stability exercise in chronic low back pain. Orthopedic Clinics. 2003;34(2):245-254.
- Hodges PW, Richardson CA. Contraction of the abdominal muscles associated with movement of the lower limb. Physical therapy. 1997;77(2):132-142. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.2.132
- Kang JH, Shim JH. Comparison of trunk muscles thickness in three different bridge exercises by ultrasound fusion imaging. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 2015;6(5):123-130. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.123
- Kapandji AI. The physiology of the joints, volume 3: the spinal column, pelvic girdle and head. Edinburgh. Churchill Livingstone. 2008.
- Kermode F. Benefits of utilising real-time ultrasound imaging in the rehabilitation of the lumbar spine stabilising muscles following low back injury in the elite athlete a single case study. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2004;5(1):13-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2003.08.001
- Kibler WB, Press J, Sciascia A. The role of core stability in athletic function. Sports medicine. 2006;36(3):189-198. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200636030-00001
- Ko MG, Song, CH. Comparison of the effects of different core exercise on muscle activity and thickness in healthy young adults. Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Science. 2018;7(2):72-77. https://doi.org/10.14474/ptrs.2018.7.2.72
- Kong YS, Cho YH, Park JW. Changes in the activities of the trunk muscles in different kinds of bridging exercises. Journal of physical therapy science. 2013;25(12):1609-1612. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.25.1609
- Lee J, Jeong K, Lee H, et al. Comparison of three different surface plank exercises on core muscle activity. Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Science. 2016;5(1):29-33. https://doi.org/10.14474/ptrs.2016.5.1.29
- Lehman GJ, Hoda W, Oliver S. Trunk muscle activity during bridging exercises on and off a swissball. Chiropractic & osteopathy. 2005;13(1):14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1340-13-14
- McGill S, Juker D, Kropf P. Appropriately placed surface EMG electrodes reflect deep muscle activity (psoas, quadratus lumborum, abdominal wall) in the lumbar spine. Journal of biomechanics. 1996;29(11):1503-1507. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(96)84547-7
- McMeeken J, Beith I, Newham D, et al. The relationship between EMG and change in thickness of transversus abdominis. Clinical Biomechanics. 2004;19(4):337-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.01.007
- Mitchell DA, Esler DM. Pelvic instability: painful pelvic girdle in pregnancy. Australian family physician. 2009;38(6):409.
- Moon HJ, Goo BO. The effect of change in transversus abdominis thickness using ultrasound image during a hip adductor contraction. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2011;6(3):287-292.
- O'sullivan PB, Phyty GDM, Twomey LT, et al. Evaluation of specific stabilizing exercise in the treatment of chronic low back pain with radiologic diagnosis of spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis. Spine. 1997;22(24):2959-2967. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199712150-00020
- Panjabi MM. Clinical spinal instability and low back pain. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology. 2003;13(4):371-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(03)00044-0
- Park Dj. The effect of real-time ultrasound imaging feedback during abdominal hollowing in four point kneeling to healthy men. Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2010;22(6):1-6.
- Saghaei, M. Random allocation software for parallel group randomized trials. BMC medical research methodology. 2004;4(1):26. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-4-26
- Schellenberg KL, Lang JM, Chan KM, et al. A clinical tool for office assessment of lumbar spine stabilization endurance: prone and supine bridge maneuvers. American journal of physical medicine & rehabilitation. 2007;86(5):380-386. https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0b013e318032156a
- Stokes M, Rankin G, Newham D. Ultrasound imaging of lumbar multifidus muscle: normal reference ranges for measurements and practical guidance on the technique. Manual therapy. 2005;10(2):116-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2004.08.013
- Vera-Garcia FJ, BarbadoD, Moya M. Trunk stabilization exercises for healthy individuals. Revista Brasileira de Cineantropometria & Desempenho Humano. 2014;16(2):200-211.