- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Case Report on the Risk of Enterobacteriaceae Infection in the Oral and Maxillofacial Region
- Lim, Lee-Rang (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Young-Cheol (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Hye-Jung (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Jung, Gyeo-Woon (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Yun, Na-Ra (Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University) ;
- Seo, Yo-Seob (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Oh, Ji-Su (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- You, Jae-Seek (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University)
- Received : 2019.08.13
- Accepted : 2019.09.08
- Published : 2019.09.30
Osteomyelitis is an inflammatory condition of the bone caused by pathogenic bacteria. The causative pathogen is usually oral residing bacteria, but this is a report of patients with osteomyelitis infected with Enterobacteriaceae, which is not common. Enterobacteriaceae has been known to cause in-hospital infections for over last 30 years and is known to have multiple antibiotic resistances. Both cases in this study developed osteomyelitis after removal of the dentigerous cyst. Enterobacter aerogenes was cultured in one patient and Serratia marcescens in the other. After changing antibiotics through antibiotic susceptibility testing, clinical symptoms subsided and radiographic images confirmed that the callus formed and recovered at the same time.
Enterobacter aerogenes;Osteomyelitis;Serratia marcescens
- Carek PJ, Dickerson LM, Sack JL. Diagnosis and management of osteomyelitis. Am Fam Physician 2001;63:2413-2420.
- Adekeye EO, Cornah J. Osteomyelitis of the jaws: a review of 141 cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1985;23:24-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-4356(85)90075-0
- Koorbusch GF, Fotos P, Goll KT. Retrospective assessment of osteomyelitis. Etiology, demographics, risk factors, and management in 35 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1992;74:149-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(92)90373-X
- Hudson JW. Osteomyelitis of the jaws: a 50-year perspective. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1993;51:1294-1301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(10)80131-4
- Storoe W, Haug RH, Lillich TT. The changing face of odontogenic infections. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2001;59:739-748; discussion 748-749. https://doi.org/10.1053/joms.2001.24285
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Chi AC. Oral and maxillofacial pathology. 4th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2016. pp. 128-135.
- Renk H, Stoll L, Neunhoeffer F, et al. Suspicion of respiratory tract infection with multidrug-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: epidemiology and risk factors from a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit. BMC Infect Dis 2017;17:163. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2251-x
- Ersoz G, Uguz M, Aslan G, Horasan ES, Kaya A. Outbreak of meningitis due to Serratia marcescens after spinal anaesthesia. J Hosp Infect 2014;87:122-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2014.03.004
- Horcajada JP, Martinez JA, Alcon A, et al. Acquisition of multidrug-resistant Serratia marcescens by critically ill patients who consumed tap water during receipt of oral medication. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006;27:774-777. https://doi.org/10.1086/504445
- Richards MJ, Edwards JR, Culver DH, Gaynes RP. Nosocomial infections in combined medical-surgical intensive care units in the United States. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000;21:510-515. https://doi.org/10.1086/501795
- Burton DJ, Scheffer RB. Serratia infection in a patient with bilateral subcondylar impacted third molars and associated dentigerous cysts: report of case. J Oral Surg 1980;38:135-138.
- Warren NP, Coombs RR. Delayed Serratia marcescens osteomyelitis following a gunshot injury. Injury 1991;22:493-494. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-1383(91)90142-2
- Lowe J, Kaplan L, Liebergall M, Floman Y. Serratia osteomyelitis causing neurological deterioration after spine fracture. A report of two cases. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1989;71:256-258.
- Turgut N, Akgul T, Arzu U, et al. A rare pathogen for subacute osteomyelitis in adolescent: Serratia marcescens. Int J Surg Case Rep 2015;8C:171-174.
- Lin TY, Chi HW, Wang NC. Pathological fracture of the right distal radius caused by Enterobacter aerogenes osteomyelitis in an adult. Am J Med Sci 2010;339:493-494. https://doi.org/10.1097/MAJ.0b013e3181d94f90
- Goaz PW, White SC. Infection and inflammation of the jaws and facial bones. In: Goaz PW, White SC, eds. Oral radiology: principles and interpretation. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1994. pp. 381-397.
- Bamberger DM. Osteomyelitis. A commonsense approach to antibiotic and surgical treatment. Postgrad Med 1993;94:177-182, 184. https://doi.org/10.1080/00325481.1993.11945737
- Daramola JO, Ajagbe HA. Chronic osteomyelitis of the mandible in adults: a clinical study of 34 cases. Br J Oral Surg 1982;20:58-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-117X(82)90008-7
- Ida M, Watanabe H, Tetsumura A, Kurabayashi T. CT findings as a significant predictive factor for the curability of mandibular osteomyelitis: multivariate analysis. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2005;34:86-90. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/23641620
- Schaberg DR, Culver DH, Gaynes RP. Major trends in the microbial etiology of nosocomial infection. Am J Med 1991;91:72S-75S.
- Chevalier J, Mulfinger C, Garnotel E, Nicolas P, Davin-Regli A, Pages JM. Identification and evolution of drug efflux pump in clinical Enterobacter aerogenes strains isolated in 1995 and 2003. PLoS One 2008;3:e3203. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0003203
- Langley JM, Hanakowski M, Leblanc JC. Unique epidemiology of nosocomial urinary tract infection in children. Am J Infect Control 2001;29:94-98. https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2001.111537
- Mahlen SD. Serratia infections: from military experiments to current practice. Clin Microbiol Rev 2011;24:755-791. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00017-11
- Engel HJ, Collignon PJ, Whiting PT, Kennedy KJ. Serratia sp. bacteremia in Canberra, Australia: a population-based study over 10 years. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2009;28:821-824. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-009-0707-7
- Acar JF. Serratia marcescens infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1986;7:273-280.
- Yu VL. Serratia marcescens: historical perspective and clinical review. N Engl J Med 1979;300:887-893. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197904193001604