- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Actinomycotic Osteomyelitis of the Mandible: A Case Report
- Lee, Young-Cheol (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Lim, Lee-Rang (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Kyu-Hoon (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Seo, Dong-Jun (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Yun, Na-Ra (Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Chosun University) ;
- Oh, Ji-Su (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- You, Jae-Seek (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Choi, Hae-In (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Chosun University)
- Received : 2019.08.13
- Accepted : 2019.09.01
- Published : 2019.09.30
Actinomycosis is rare, chronic, slowly progressive disease caused by gram-positive anaerobic organisms from the Actinomycosis family that normally colonizes the oral cavity. Actinomycotic osteomyelitis is even more rare and refractory disease because diagnosis by bacterial culture is not easy. In our case, 80-year-old man visited our clinic with a complaint of swelling and severe sinus tracts without teeth evolvement on anterior mandible. Computed tomography (CT) scan demonstrated erosive bone destruction on anterior mandible, clinically suspected actinomycotic osteomyelitis. The patient also had thoracic actinomycosis on Lt. lower lung. We could diagnosis actinomycosis by histopathologic examination. He treated by conservative surgery and long term antibiotics. After 2 year, no recurrence was seen in CT scan.
Supported by : Chosun University Dental Hospital
- Benoliel R, Asquith J. Actinomycosis of the jaws. 2 Case reports. Int J Oral Surg 1985;14:195-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9785(85)80092-2
- Laskaris G. Oral manifestations of infectious diseases. Dent Clin North Am 1996;40:395-423.
- Miller M, Haddad AJ. Cervicofacial actinomycosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1998;85:496-508. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(98)90280-3
- Brown JR. Human actinomycosis. A study of 181 subjects. Hum Pathol 1973;4:319-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(73)80097-8
- Nagler R, Peled M, Laufer D. Cervicofacial actinomycosis: a diagnostic challenge. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997;83:652-656. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(97)90313-9
- Hirshberg A, Tsesis I, Metzger Z, Kaplan I. Periapical actinomycosis: a clinicopathologic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003;95:614-620. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2003.87
- Kaplan I, Anavi K, Anavi Y, et al. The clinical spectrum of Actinomyces- associated lesions of the oral mucosa and jawbones: correlations with histomorphometric analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009;108:738-746. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.06.019
- Bala S, Narwal A, Gupta V, Duhan J, Goel P. Actinomycotic osteomyelitis of mandible masquerading periapical pathology. J Oral Health Community Dent 2011;5:97-99. https://doi.org/10.5005/johcd-5-2-97
- Acevedo F, Baudrand R, Letelier LM, Gaete P. Actinomycosis: a great pretender. Case reports of unusual presentations and a review of the literature. Int J Infect Dis 2008;12:358-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2007.10.006
- Figueiredo LM, Trindade SC, Sarmento VA, de Oliveira TF, Muniz WR, Valente RO. Actinomycotic osteomyelitis of the mandible: an unusual case. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;17:299-302. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10006-012-0381-2
- Endo S, Murayama F, Yamaguchi T, et al. Surgical considerations for pulmonary actinomycosis. Ann Thorac Surg 2002;74:185-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-4975(02)03616-0
- Tastepe AI, Ulasan NG, Liman ST, Demircan S, Uzar A. Thoracic actinomycosis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1998;14:578-583. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-7940(98)00240-1
- Gannepalli A, Ayinampudi BK, Baghirath PV, Reddy GV. Actinomycotic osteomyelitis of maxilla presenting as oroantral fistula: a rare case report. Case Rep Dent 2015;2015:689240.
- Marx RE, Carlson ER, Smith BR, Toraya N. Isolation of Actinomyces species and Eikenella corrodens from patients with chronic diffuse sclerosing osteomyelitis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;52:26-33; discussion 33-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(94)90008-6
- Shen JY, Futran ND, Sardesai MG. Craniofacial Actinomyces osteomyelitis evolving from sinusitis. Radiol Case Rep 2017;13:104-107.
- Kusuyama Y, Matsumoto K, Okada S, Wakabayashi K, Takeuchi N, Yura Y. Rapidly progressing osteomyelitis of the mandible. Case Rep Dent 2013;2013:249615.
- Abbaszadeh H, Sheibani MS. Actinomycotic osteomyelitis of mandible. J Craniofac Surg 2016;27:e452-e454. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0000000000002793
- Sezer B, Akdeniz BG, Gunbay S, Hilmioglu-Polat S, Basdemir G. Actinomycosis osteomyelitis of the jaws: report of four cases and a review of the literature. J Dent Sci 2017;12:301-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jds.2013.02.031
- Goldstein BH, Sciubba JJ, Laskin DM. Actinomycosis of the maxilla: review of literature and report of case. J Oral Surg 1972;30:362-366.
- Chandler FW, Watts JC. Fungal diseases. In: Anderson WAD, Damjanov I, Linder J, eds. Anderson's pathology. 10th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1996. pp. 951-982.
- Bennhoff DF. Actinomycosis: diagnostic and therapeutic considerations and a review of 32 cases. Laryngoscope 1984;94:1198-1217.
- Dubey A, Murthy JG, Banerjee PK. Actinomycosis of the parotid gland. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004;56:306-308.