- Volume 34 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparative study of external-intenal morphological shape in origins and hybrids for Glycyrrhizae Radix et Rhizoma
감초의 기원 및 교잡종 외내부형태 성상 비교연구
- Kim, Young-Sik (Department of Herbology, Kyunghee University) ;
- Park, Chun-Geon (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science) ;
- Choi, Goya (K-herb Research Center, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Chang, Jae-Ki (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Hoon (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science) ;
- Ju, Young-Sung (Department of Herbology, Woosuk University)
- 김영식 (경희대학교 한의과대학 본초학교실) ;
- 박춘근 (국립원예특작과학원 약용작물과) ;
- 최고야 (한국한의학연구원 K-herb연구단) ;
- 장재기 (국립원예특작과학원 약용작물과) ;
- 이정훈 (국립원예특작과학원 약용작물과) ;
- 주영승 (우석대학교 한의과대학 본초학교실)
- Received : 2019.07.12
- Accepted : 2019.09.25
- Published : 2019.09.30
Objectives : The consumption of licorice is large in Korea, but domestic production is insufficient due to the lack of adaptability. This study aimed to provide a morphological basis for adding interspecific hybrid licorice with improved adaptability to pharmacopoeia. Methods : This study was to establish identification criteria for the original plants, external and internal morphology of the authentic herbal medicines (Glycyrrhiza uralensis, G. glabra and G. inflata), market products and artificially interspecific hybrid forms of licorice. For this purpose, previous studies were investigated and visual and histological observations were carried out. We focused on the internal morphology by microscopic observation for securing objectivity. Finally, we proposed the identification keys for precise classification of each part. Results : 1) Original plant : Licorice species in the compendium were distinguished by the number of leaflets, presence of hair on the fruit, curvature and swelling of the fruit. 2) External morphology : Licorice species were distinguished by degree of powderiness, tearing gap, radial structure in the cross section and existence of protrusion of outer epidermis. 3) Internal morphology : Licorice species were distinguished by the degree of development of phloem fiber bundle, development of obliterated sieve, whether the secondary medullary ray are branched. In the case of interspecific hybrids, the characteristics of both species used for hybridization were mixed in all observation methods. Conclusions : These results suggest that the interspecific crossbred licorice is suitable for the pharmacopoeial standard. Therefore, it can be applied as a herbal medicine through additional supplementary study.
Glycyrrhizae Radix et Rhizoma;identification;discriminative point;authentication;microscopy;licorice
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Hayashi H, Hattori S, Inoue K, Sarsenbaev K, Ito M, Honda G. Field survey of Glycyrrhiza plants in Central Asia (1). Characterization of G. uralensis, G. glabra and the putative intermediate collected in Kazakhstan. Biol Pharm Bull. 2003;26(6):867-71. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.26.867
- Hayashi H, Zhang SL, Nakaizumi T, Shimura K, Yamaguchi M, Inoue K, Sarsenbaev K, Ito M, Honda G. Field survey of Glycyrrhiza plants in central Asia (2). Characterization of phenolics and their variation in the leaves of Glycyrrhiza plants collected in Kazakhstan. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2003;51(10):1147-52. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.51.1147
- Hayashi H, Hattori S, Inoue K, Khodzhimatov O, Ashurmetov O, Ito M, Honda G. Field survey of Glycyrrhiza plants in Central Asia (3). Chemical characterization of G. glabra collected in Uzbekistan. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2003;51(11):1338-40. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.51.1338
- Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. Defining Dictionary for Medicinal Herbs [Korean, 'Hanyak Giwon Sajeon']. Accessed on June, 26, 2019. from http://boncho.kiom.re.kr/codex/.
- Dept. of Herbology, College of Korean Medicine of Woosuk University. Ungok's general review on the origin and habitat of medicinal materials. Paju: Korean Studies Information. 2009:6-7.
- Hayashi H, Tamura S, Chiba R, Fujii I, Yoshikawa N, Fattokhov I, Saidov M. Field Survey of Glycyrrhiza Plants in Central Asia (4). Characterization of G. glabra and G. bucharica Collected in Tajikistan. Biol Pharm Bull. 2016;39(11):1781-1786. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b16-00251
- Tian RW, Lu JH, Xie LB, Qin ZL, Li XY. Effect of Flowering Mode and Pollination on Reproductive Success and the Relationship between Glycyrrhiza glabra L. and Glycyrrhiza uralensis Fisch. Acta Botanica Boreali-Occidentalia Sinica. 2012;32(10):2004-8.
- Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. Korean Medicinal Materials vol 2. Seoul : Geobook Publishing. 2015:8-15.
- Ju YS. Ungok's illustrated guide to medicinal materials. Jeonju: Woosuk Press. 2017:10-1.
- Gao BZ. Zhong Yao Da Ci Dian (The Great Dictionary of Chinese Medicine, New Edition). Taibei Shi : Xin wen feng chu ban gong si. 1982:544-50.
- Ren RN. Identification study of Chinese traditional medicine. Shanghai : Shanghai Science & Technology Publishers. 1986:109-13.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, The Korean Pharmacopoeia 11th ed. Monographs, Part II. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety Notification No. 2019:5.
- Chinese Pharmacopoeia Commission. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China; Medical Science and Technology Press: Beijing, China. 2015:86-7.
- ZhonHuaBenCao Editorial Committee. ZhongHuaBenCao [Chinese Materia Medica], Vol. 4. Shanghai : Shanghai Science & Technology Publishers. 1999:500-2, 507-9.
- Xiao PG. Modern Chinese Materia Medica. Vol. 1. Beijing:Chemical Industry Press. 2002:259-60, 266-70.
- Xie ZM. Zhongyao Pinzhong Lilun yu Yingyong (中藥品種理論與應用). Beijing : People's health publishing house. 2008:238-41.
- Editorial Committee of Flora of China. Flora of China. Beijing : Science Press Beijing. 1998;42-2:168-73.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. Coloured Illustrations for Discrimination of Herbal Medicine. Daejeon : Homibooks. 2009:17-9, 530-1.
- Herbology Editorial Committee of Korean Medicine Schools. Herbology [Boncho-hak]. Seoul : Young-Lim Press. 2013:584-5.
- Kim CM, Lee YJ, Kim IR, Shin JH, Kim YI. 2014. Coloured illustrations for discrimination of herbal medicine : External Morphology. Seoul : Academy Book. 2014:17-9.
- Kim CM, Lee YJ, Kim IR, Shin JH, Kim YI. 2014. Coloured illustrations for discrimination of herbal medicine : Internal Morphology. Seoul : Academy Book. 2014:18-20.
- Lou ZC, Li SH, Wang XA. The Methods of Morphological and Microscopic Identification of Chinese Herbal Medicines. Beijing:Beijing Medical University & Peking Union Medical College Press, 1997:180-2.
- Committee on Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy. Quality control on chinese medicines : Morphological, histological identification. 1999:388-9.
- Zhao DW. Chinese Medicinal Materials Illustration for Morphology, Histology and Powder. China Medical Science Press, 1999:134-5.
- National Institute for the Control of Pharmaceutical and Biological Products, Institute of Drug Control of Guangdong Province. Zhongguo Zhongyaocai Zhenwei Jianbie Tudian (2). Guangzhou : Guangdong science and technology press. 2002:59-61.
- Zhao ZZ. An Illustrated Microscopic Identification of Chinese Materia Medica. Shenyang:Liaoning Science and Technology Publishing House. 2005:222-4.
- Zhao ZZ, Chen HB. Chinese Medicinal Identification: An Illustrated Approach. Fujian:Fujian Science and Technology Publishing House. 2010:66-7.