- Volume 34 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Chemical influences of the rhizomes of Atractylodes japonica, A. macrocephala, or A. chinensis on the extraction efficiencies of chemical compounds in the roots and rhizomes of Glycyrrhiza uralensis during hot-water extraction
열수추출 과정에서 삽주, 백출(큰꽃삽주), 북창출 배합이 감초 성분의 추출률에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Jung-Hoon (Division of Pharmacology, School of Korean Medicine, Pusan National University)
- 김정훈 (부산대학교 한의학전문대학원 약물의학부)
- Received : 2019.08.16
- Accepted : 2019.09.25
- Published : 2019.09.30
Objectives : When herbal medicines are extracted together, they may interact with each other, leading to change of chemical characteristics. This study aimed to evaluate the influence of Atractylodes rhizomes (Atractylodes japonica, A. macrocephala, and A. chinensis) on the chemical features of the roots and rhizomes of Glycyrrhiza uralensis, which is are commonly combined with herbal medicines in many herbal formulae, when they are co-decocted. Methods : Liquiritin apioside, liquiritin, ononin, and glycyrrhizin levels of G. uralensis in hot-water extracts prepared by the combination of Atractylodes rhizomes with various weight ratios (G. uralensis : Atractylodes rhizomes = 10:0, 10:5, 10:10, and 10:20) and extraction times (60, 90, and 120 min) were quantified using a HPLC-diode array detector and compared by statistical analysis. Results : The concentrations of liquiritin apioside, liquiritin, ononin, and glycyrrhizin from G. uralensis roots and rhizomes mostly reduced when co-extracted with Atractylodes rhizomes, and the addition of A. chinensis most reduced their contents between Atractylodes combination groups. A. japonica and A. macrocephala rhizomes also showed differences of liquiritin and glycyrrhizin levels at 10 g and 20 g groups of Atractylodes rhizomes. Extraction times also affected the concentrations of liquiritin, ononin, and glycyrrhizin mostly during 60 and 90 min. Conclusions : Atractylodes rhizomes might alter the chemical characteristics of G. uralensis when these herbs are co-decocted. This study provides the understanding of the chemical interactions of herbal medicines during the extraction in hot water.
Atractylodes japonica;A. macrocephala;A. chinensis;Glycyrrhiza uralensis;chemical interaction
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Shen J, Mo X, Tang Y, Zhang L, Pang H, Qian Y, Chen Y, Tao W, Guo S, Shang E, Zhu S, Ding Y, Guo J, Liu P, Su S, Qian S, Duan JA. Analysis of herb-herb interaction when decocting together by using ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and fuzzy chemical identification strategy with poly-proportion design. J. Chromatogr. A. 2013 ; 1297 : 168-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2013.05.001
- Yang Y, Yin XJ, Guo HM, Wang RL, Song R, Tian Y, Zhang ZJ. Identification and comparative analysis of the major chemical constituents in the extracts of single Fuzi herb and Fuzi-Gancao herb-pair by UFLC-IT-TOF/MS. Chin. J. Nat. Medicines. 2014 ; 12(7) : 542-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1875-5364(14)60084-4
- Yin G, Cheng X, Tao W, Dong Y, Bian Y, Zang W, Tang D. Comparative analysis of multiple representative components in the herb pair Astragali Radix-Curcumae Rhizoma and its single herbs by UPLCQQQ-MS. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2018 ; 148 : 224-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2017.09.015
- The Korea Food and Drug Administration, The Korean Pharmacopeia , The Korea Food and Drug Administration, 11th edition, Notification No. 2018-68, 2018 : 44, 105.
- Kim JH, Doh EJ, Lee G. Evaluation of medicinal categorization of Atractylodes japonica Koidz. by using internal transcribed spacer sequencing analysis and HPLC fingerprinting combined with statistical tools. Evid.-Based Complementary Altern. Med. 2016 ; 2016 : 1-12.
- Kim JH, Doh EJ, Lee G. Chemical differentiation of genetically identified Atractylodes japonica , A. macrocephala , and A. chinensis rhizomes using high-performance liquid chromatography with chemometric analysis. Evid.-Based Complementary Altern. Med. 2018 ; 2018 : 1-16.
- Seo CS, Lee JA, Jung D, Lee HY, Lee JK, Ha H, Lee MY, Shin HK. Simultaneous determination of liquiritin, hesperidin, and glycyrrhizin by HPLCphotodiode array detection and the anti-inflammatory effect of Pyungwi-san. Arch. Pharm. Res. 2011 ; 34(2) : 203-10. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-011-0204-2
- Wang Y, He S, Cheng X, Lu Y, Zou Y, Zhang Q. UPLC-Q-TOF-MS/MS fingerprinting of Traditional Chinese Formula SiJunZiTang. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2013 ; 80 : 24-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2013.02.021
- Nose M, Tada M, Kojima R, Nagata K, Hisaka S, Masada S, Homma M, Hakamatsuka T. Comparison of glycyrrhizin content in 25 major kinds of Kampo extracts containing Glycyrrhizae Radix used clinically in Japan. J. Nat. Med. 2017 ; 71(4) : 711-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11418-017-1101-x
- Zhang Y, Bo C, Fan Y, An R, Chen L, Zhang Y, Jia Y, Wang X. Qualitative and quantitative determination of Atractylodes rhizome using ultraperformance liquid chromatography coupled with linear ion trap-Orbitrap mass spectrometry with data-dependent processing. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2019 ; 33(3) : e4443. https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.4443
- Cho HD, Kim U, Suh JH, Eom HY, Kim J, Lee SG, Choi YS, Han SB. Classification of the medicinal plants of the genus Atractylodes using high-performance liquid chromatography with diode array and tandem mass spectrometry detection combined with multivariate statistical analysis. J. Sep. Sci. 2016 ; 39(7) : 1286-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201501279
- Zheng F, Jiang ZB, Zhang X, Hu JP, Li SM, Zhao J, Zeng X. Effect of Glycyrrhizae Radix et Rhizoma combined with Atractylodis Macrocephalae Rhizoma on p53 and p21 gene expression of IEC-6 cells. China J. Chin. Mater. Med. 2015 ; 40(9) : 1798-802. (Chinese)
- Li G, Nikolic D, van Breemen RB. Identification and chemical standardization of Licorice raw materials and dietary supplements using UHPLCMS/MS. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2016 ; 64(42) : 8062-70. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02954
- Wu YP, Meng XS, Bao YR, Wang S, Kang TG. Simultaneous quantitative determination of nine active chemical compositions in traditional Chinese medicine Glycyrrhiza by RP-HPLC with full-time five-wavelength fusion method. Am. J. Chin. Med. 2013 ; 41(1) : 211-9. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X13500158
- Basar N, Talukdar AD, Nahar L, Stafford A, Kushiev H, Kan A, Sarker SD. A simple semipreparative reversed-phase HPLC/PDA method for separation and quantification of glycyrrhizin in nine samples of Glycyrrhiza glabra root collected from different geographical origins. Phytochem. Anal. 2014 ; 25(5) : 399-404. https://doi.org/10.1002/pca.2507
- Kim JH. Extraction time and temperature affect the extraction efficiencies of coumarin and phenylpropanoids from Cinnamomum cassia bark using a microwave-assisted extraction method. J. Chromatogr. B. 2017 ; 1063 : 196-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2017.08.008
- Kim JH, Shin HK, Seo CS. Chemical interaction between Paeonia lactiflora and Glycyrrhiza uralensis, the components of Jakyakgamcho-tang, using a validated high-performance liquid chromatography method: Herbal combination and chemical interaction in a decoction. J. Sep. Sci. 2014 ; 37(19) : 2704-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201400522
- Kim JH, Ha WR, Park JH, Lee G, Choi G, Lee SH, Kim YS. Influence of herbal combinations on the extraction efficiencies ofchemical compounds from Cinnamomum cassia , Paeonia lactiflora , and Glycyrrhiza uralensis , the herbal components of Gyeji-tang, evaluated by HPLC method. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2016 ; 129 : 50-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2016.06.044
- Li Z, Liu T, Liao J, Ai N, Fan X, Cheng Y. Deciphering chemical interactions between Glycyrrhizae Radix and Coptidis Rhizoma by liquid chromatography with transformed multiple reaction monitoring mass spectrometry. J. Sep. Sci. 2017 ; 40(6) : 1254-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201601054
- Tian M, Yan H, Row KH. Extraction of glycyrrhizic acid and glabridin from Licorice. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2008 ; 9(4) : 571-7. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms9040571
- Liao J, Qu B, Zheng N. Extraction of glycyrrhizic acid from Glycyrrhiza uralensis using ultrasound and its process extraction model. Appl. Sci. 2016 ; 6(11) : 319. https://doi.org/10.3390/app6110319