- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An improved estimation procedure of population mean using bivariate auxiliary information under non-response
- Bhushan, Shashi (Department of Mathematics and Statistics, DSMNR University) ;
- Pandey, Abhay Pratap (Ramanujan College, University of Delhi)
- Received : 2018.12.10
- Accepted : 2019.06.20
- Published : 2019.07.31
We propose new classes of estimators of population mean under non-response using bivariate auxiliary information. Some improved regression (or difference) type estimators have been proposed in four different situations of non response along with their properties and the expressions for the bias and mean square errors of the proposed estimators are derived under double (two-stage) sampling scheme. The properties of the suggested class of estimators are studied and it is observed that the proposed estimators performed better when compared to conventional estimators proposed by Singh and Kumar (Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 140, 2536-2550, 2010b), Shabbir and Khan (Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, 42, 4127-4145, 2013) and Bhushan and Naqvi (Journal of Statistics and Management Systems, 18, 573-602, 2015). A comparative study is also conducted both theoretically as well as empirically in order to support the results.
- Bhushan S and Naqvi N (2015). Generalized efficient classes of estimators in presence of non-response using two auxiliary variables, Journal of Statistics and Management Systems, 18, 573-602. https://doi.org/10.1080/09720510.2015.1033867
- Cochran WG (1977). Sampling Techniques (3rd ed), John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Hansen MH and Hurwitz WN (1946). The problem of non-response in sample surveys, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 41, 517-529. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1946.10501894
- Khare BB and Sinha RR (2007). Estimation of the ratio of the two populations means using multiauxiliary characters in the presence of non-response. In Statistical Techniques in Life Testing, Reliability, Sampling Theory and Quality Control (Pandey BN ed, pp. 163-171), Narosa Publishing House.
- Khare BB and Srivastava S (1993). Estimation of population mean using auxiliary character in presence of non-response, National Academy Science Letters, 16, 111-114.
- Khare BB and Srivastava S (1995). Study of conventional and alternative two-phase sampling ratio, product and regression estimators in presence of non-response. In Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy, 65, 195-203.
- Khare BB and Srivastava S (1997). Transformed ratio type estimators for the population mean in the presence of non-response, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, 26, 1779-1791. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610929708832012
- Okafor FC and Lee H (2000). Double sampling for ratio and regression estimation with sub-sampling the non-respondents, Survey Methodology, 26, 183-188.
- Rao PSRS (1986). Ratio estimation with sub sampling the non-respondents, Survey Methodology, 12, 217-230.
- Rao PSRS (1987). Ratio and regression estimates with sub sampling the non-respondents. In Paper presented at a special contributed session of the International Statistical Association Meeting, Sept 2-16, Tokyo, Japan.
- Searls DT (1964). The utilization of a known coefficient of variation in the estimation procedure, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 59, 1225-1226. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1964.10480765
- Singh HP, Kumar S, and Kozak M. (2010). Improved estimation of finite population mean using sub sampling to deal with non-response in two phase sampling scheme, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, 39, 791-802. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610920902796056
- Singh HP and Kumar S (2008). A regression approach to the estimation of the finite population mean in the presence of non-response, Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 50, 395-408. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-842X.2008.00525.x
- Singh HP and Kumar S (2010a). Estimation of mean in presence of non-response using two phase sampling scheme, Statistical Papers, 51, 559-582. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00362-008-0140-5
- Singh HP and Kumar S (2010b). Improved estimation of population mean under the two phase sampling with sub sampling the non-respondents, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 140, 2536-2550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jspi.2010.03.023
- Shabbir J and Khan NS (2013). On estimating the finite population mean using two auxiliary variables in two phase sampling in the presence of non-response, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, 42, 4127-4145. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610926.2011.643851
- Tabasum R and Khan IA (2004). Double sampling for ratio estimation with non-response, Journal of the Indian Society of Agricultural Statistics, 58, 300-306.