- Volume 72 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study of seismic performance of super long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology) ;
- Yu, Cong (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology) ;
- Zhao, Jun-Jie (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology)
- Received : 2018.07.04
- Accepted : 2019.05.22
- Published : 2019.10.10
To investigate the seismic performance of long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge, a super long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge scheme with main span of 1400m is taken as example, structural response of the bridge under E1 seismic action is investigated numerically by the multimode seismic response spectrum and time-history analysis, seismic behavior and also the effect of structural geometric nonlinearity on the seismic responses of super long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges are revealed. The seismic responses are also compared to those of a fully self-anchored cable-stayed bridge with the same main span. The effects of structural parameters including the earth-anchored girder length, the girder width, the girder depth, the tower height to span ratio, the inclination of earth-anchored cables, the installation of auxiliary piers in the side spans and the connection between tower and girder on the seismic responses of partially ground-anchored cable-stayed bridges are investigated, and their reasonable values are also discussed in combination with static performance and structural stability. The results show that the horizontal seismic excitation produces significant seismic responses of the girder and tower, the seismic responses of the towers are greater than those of the girder, and thus the tower becomes the key structural member of seismic design, and more attentions should be paid to seismic design of these sections including the tower bottom, the tower and girder at the junction of tower and girder, the girder at the auxiliary piers in side spans; structural geometric nonlinearity has significant influence on the seismic responses of the bridge, and thus the nonlinear time history analysis is proposed to predict the seismic responses of super long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges; as compared to the fully self-anchored cable-stayed bridge with the same main span, several stay cables in the side spans are changed to be earth-anchored, structural stiffness and natural frequency are both increased, the seismic responses of the towers and the longitudinal displacement of the girder are significantly reduced, structural seismic performance is improved, and therefore the partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge provides an ideal structural solution for super long-span cable-stayed bridges with kilometer-scale main span; under the case that the ratio of earth-anchored girder length to span is about 0.3, the wider and higher girder is employed, the tower height-to-span ratio is about 0.2, the larger inclination is set for the earth-anchored cables, 1 to 2 auxiliary piers are installed in each of the side spans and the fully floating system is employed, better overall structural performance is achieved for long-span partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges.
Supported by : Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China
- Alvanitopoulos, P.F., Andreadis, I. and Elenas, A. (2010), "Interdependence between damage indices and ground motion parameters based on Hilbert-Huang transform", Measurement Sci. Technol., 21(2). https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/21/2/025101.
- Chen, X., Nie, G.J., Jia, L.J. and Sun, B. (2013), "Approximate calculation of nature frequency of partially earth-anchored cablestayed bridges", Chinese Quarterly Mech., 34(4), 650-655.
- Gimsing, N.J. and Georgakis, C.T. (2012), Cable-Supported Bridges: Concept and Design, John Wiley and Sons Ltd., Chichester, England.
- Jin, Z., Pei, S., Wei, X., Liu, H., and Qiang, S. (2016), "Partially earth-anchored cable bridge: Ultra long-span system suitable for carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic cables", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 21(6). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000877.
- JTG D65-01 (2007), Guidelines for design of Highway Cablestayed Bridge, Ministry of Communications, Beijing, China.
- JTG T B02-01 (2008), Guidelines for Seismic Design of Highway Bridges, Ministry of Communications, Beijing, China.
- Muller, J. (1991), "Bi-stayed Cable-stayed Bridge", International Conference on Bridge, Leningrad, IABSE, 455-460.
- Shao, X.D., Hu, J. and Zhao, H. (2011), “Conceptual design of super-span cable-stayed bridge with partial ground-anchorage and cross stays”, J. Chongqing Jiaotong University (Natural Science), 30(S2), 1188-1191.
- Sun, B., Cheng, J. and Xiao, R.C. (2010), "Preliminary design and parametric study of a 1400 m partially earth-anchored cablestayed bridge", Sci. China Series E Technol. Sci., 53(2), 502-511. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-010-0041-4.
- Sun, B., Xiao, R.C. and Cai, C.S. (2013), "Cost analysis of partially earth-anchored cable-stayed bridge", J. Tongji University(Natural Science), 41(10), 1476-1482. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.0253-374x.2013.10.005
- Sun, B., Cheng, J. and Xiao, R.C. (2015), "Optimization of dead load state in earth-anchored cable-stayed bridges", J. Harbin Institute Technol., 22(3), 87-94.
- Won, J.H., Park, S.J., Yoon, J.H. and Kim, S.H. (2008a), "Structural effects of partially earth-anchored cable system on medium span cable-stayed bridges", J. Steel Struct., 8(3), 225-236.
- Won, J.H., Park, S.J., Yoon, J.H. and Kim, S.H. (2008b), "Effects of partially earth-anchored cable system on dynamic wind response of cable-stayed bridges", Wind Struct., 11(6), 441-453. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.6.441.
- Xiang, H.F. (2012), "The trend of the world's mega-scale bridges- An inspiration of IABSE 2011 in London", Bridge, 3, 12-16.
- Xiao, R.C. (2013), Bridge Structural Systems, China Communications Press, Beijing, China. 166-174.
- Xiao, R.C., Wei, P. and Sun, B. (2013), "Mechanical analysis and parametric study of long-span partially earth-anchored cablestayed bridge", J. Southeast U (Natural Science Edition), 43(5), 1097-1103.
- Zhang, L.W., Xiao, R.C. and Xia, R.J. (2011), "Mechanical analysis and study on structural parameter of partially earthanchored cable-stayed bridge part I: Mechanical analysis", Appl. Mech. Mater., 44, 1898-1905. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.44-47.1898.
- Zhang, X.J. and Yao, M. (2015), "Numerical investigation on the wind stability of super long-span partially earth-anchored cablestayed bridges", Wind Struct., 21(4), 407-424. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.21.4.407.
- Zhang, X.J. and Yu, Z.J. (2015), "Study of seismic performance of cable-stayed-suspension hybrid bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 55(6), 1203-1221. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.6.1203.