- Volume 43 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Value of Fashion Thinking in the Automobile Industry
자동차 산업에 적용된 Fashion Thinking의 특성 및 가치
- Kim, Mikyung (Dept. of Fashion Design, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Yim, Eunhyuk (Dept. of Fashion Design, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2019.06.17
- Accepted : 2019.08.02
- Published : 2019.08.31
Fashion in modern society reflects contemporary times as well as plays an important role in understanding the relationship with various objects and socio-cultural phenomena. Fashion is also based on the idea that is accepted as suitable under contemporary judgement that forms an aesthetic notion of beauty and creates infinite ideal and fantasy. There is a need to see fashion from a broad approach within the socio-cultural concept. Fashion Thinking, based on diversified research on social roles and fashion value has been widely used in other industrial fields; consequently, this study examines phenomena that appears in the automobile industry. This study helps reveal the implied influence of Fashion Thinking toward other industries and socio-cultural aspects, by deriving characteristics and value of Fashion Thinking through an analysis of the applied cases of Fashion Thinking in the automobile industry. The result of this study has a practical meaning that lays the foundation for understanding Fashion Thinking for innovative creative management and utilizing it effectively in other industrial fields such as the automobile industry.
- Ahn, J. Y. (2018, March 28). MINI, 도미니크 한정판 '레트로블루 에디션' 완판 [MINI, Sold out of Dominique Limited Edition 'Retro Blue Edition']. Global Economy Times. Retrieved from http://cnews.getnews.co.kr/view. php?ud=2018032813572142934b51928797_16
- AutoView. (2017, March 29). [현대] 쏘나타 뉴 라이즈 서울패션위크 공개 [[Hyundai] Sonata New Rise with Seoul Fashion Week]. AutoView. Retrieved from http://www.autoview.co.kr/content/article.asp?num_code=61092&news_section=com_info&pageshow=1
- AutoView. (2018, June 8). [아우디] 부산모터쇼서 레벨 3 자율주행차 A8 등 11개 모델 공개 [[Audi] 11 models including level 3 autonomous car A8 at Busan Motor Show]. Auto-View. Retrieved from http://www.autoview.co.kr/content/article.asp?num_code=64682
- Bell, Q. (1992). On human finery. London: Allison & Busby.
- Blaszczyk, R. L. (Ed.). (2009). Producing fashion: Commerce, culture, and consumers. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Blumer, H. (1969). Fashion: From class differentiation to collective selection. The Sociological Quarterly, 10(3), 275-291. doi:10.1111/j.1533-8525.1969.tb01292.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1533-8525.1969.tb01292.x
- Chevrolet. (2017, November 3). Find new roads. Instagram. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/BbBYnV_lIQR/
- Cho, J. M. (2015). Collaboration trends in fashion and the automotive industry. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 47, 65-77. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2015.47.006
- Choi, W. S., Kim, C. S., & Yang, H. (2014). Effect of car purchase orientation and fashion shopping orientation on purchase intention in lifestyle store of car brand. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 43, 299-310. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2014.43.026
- Craik, J. (2009). Fashion: The key concepts. Oxford and New York: Berg.
- Daniels, A. H. (1951). Fashion merchandising. Harvard Business Review, 29, 51-60.
- Davis, J. (2012, November 29). smart fortwo electric drive Gets Its Wings. e I Mercedes-Benz. Retrieved from https://emercedesbenz.com/autos/smart/fortwo/smart-fortwo-electric-drive-gets-its-wings/
- Entwistle, J. (2009). The aesthetic economy of fashion: Markets and values in clothing and modelling. Oxford and New York: Berg.
- Featherstone, M. (1991). Consumer culture & postmodernism. London, Thousand Oaks and New Delhi: SAGE Publicationa.
- Florida, R. (2002). The rise of the creative class: and how it's transforming work, leisure, community and everyday life. New York, NY: Basic Books.
Foiret, C. (2010, October 8). Citroen
$\times$Lacoste concept car. Trendland. Retrieved from https://trendland.com/citroen-x-lacosteconcept-car/
- Horn, M. J. (1968). The second skin: An interdisciplinary study of clothing. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- JAGUAR WEARS STELLA McCARTNEY. (n.d). thesignspeaking. Retrieved from http://www.thesignspeaking.com/jaguarwears-stella-mccartney/
- Jeon, H. J. (2018). RETRO IS NOW. Dominick. Retrieved from https://dominick.co.kr/contentsDetail/detail/MINIxOrdinaryPeople
- Jung, S.-h., Yoon, J.-y., & Yoo, H.-o. (2018). The research based on design thinking theory using knowledge structure ideation toolkit. Journal of Communication Design, 62, 273-288.
- Kawamura, Y. (2005). Fashion-ology: An introduction to fashion studies. Oxford and New York: Berg.
- Kim, M.-K. (2008). The development of the movable-housing planning concept in housing-architectural history of 20th century. Korean Institute of Interior Design Journal, 17(2), 13-21.
- Kim, M. K. (2017, December 2). 엘르 스타일 어워즈 파티 [ELLE style awards party]. ELLE. Retrieved from http://www.elle.co.kr/article/view.asp?MenuCode=en010302&intSno=20295
- Konig, R. (1973). The restless image: A sociology of fashion. London: Allen & Unwin.
- Koo, S. (2009). Is the automotive design becoming iconic? Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, 22(1), 17-26.
- Koo, S. (2010). An observation on the changing factors on automotive design in 21st. century. Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 11(4), 2-9.
- Lemire, B. (2016). Thinking fashion. A historian's reflection. Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process & the Fashion Industry, 8(1), 10-14. doi:10.1080/17569370.2016.1147696 https://doi.org/10.1080/17569370.2016.1147696
- Lexus Korea. (2018, November 19). #하이브리드피플 [#hybridpeople]. Instagram. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/BqWVg-VAcwC/
- Lipovetsky, G. (1999). 패션의 제국 [The empire of fashion] (D. J. Lee, Trans.). Seoul: Moonye Publishing Co., Ltd. (Original work published 1987)
- Lofgren, O. (2005). Catwalking and coolhunting: the production of newness. In O. Lofgren, & R. Willim (Eds.), Magic, culture and the new economy (pp. 57-72). Oxford and New York: Berg.
- Mackelden, A. (2018, August 25). Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding car is going into production at Jaguar. Harper's BAZAAR. Retrieved from https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a22830468/prince-harry-and-meghanmarkle-jaguar-wedding-car-buy/
- Mankoo, G. (2013, March 20). Hermes designs a special edition Equus stretch limo for Hyundai. Luxurylaunches. Retrieved from https://luxurylaunches.com/transport/hermes-designsa-special-edition-equus-stretch-limo-for-hyundai.php
- Martin, R. (2009). The design of business: Why design thinking is the next competitive advantage. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press.
- Mercedes-Benz NL. (2015, June 22). Doutzen Kroes 'hybrid by nature'. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOIi-RIuuYE
- Mercedes-Benz NL. (2016, June 13). Mercedes-Benz Fashion Film Burning Desire. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR2WD7JP694
- Min, J. H., & Chung, K. Y. (2015). Material-related research for the diversification of car interior design-Focused on car seat fabric-. Journal of Basic Design & Art, 16(2), 151-161.
- Nixon, N. W., & Blakley, J. (2012). Fashion thinking: Towards an actionable methodology. Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process & the Fashion Industry, 4(2), 153-175. doi:10.2752/175693812X13403765252262
- Oh, A. R. (2018, April, 4). 미니(MINI)는 왜 라이프스타일에 집중할까 [Why MINI focuses on lifestyle]. Auto Times. Retrieved from http://autotimes.hankyung.com/apps/news.sub_view?popup=0&nid=03&c1=03&c2=03&c3=00&nkey=201804031750431
- Park, H. A. (2018). 드디어 공개된 RETRO BLUE EDITION [The finally released RETRO BLUE EDITION]. Dominick. Retrieved from https://dominick.co.kr/contentsDetail/detail/96fashion_sfw
- Park, C. S. (2010). Fashion and power. Seoul: SNUPress.
- Petersen, T. B., Mackinney-Valentin, M., & Melchior, M. R. (2016). Fashion thinking. Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process & the Fashion Industry, 8(1), 1-9. doi:10.1080/17569370.2016.1147699 https://doi.org/10.1080/17569370.2016.1147699
- Postrel, V. (2003). The substance of style: How the rise of aesthetic value is remaking commerce, culture, and consciousness. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Quick spin: Fiat 500C by Gucci. (2016, July 10). Drive. Retrieved from https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/quick-spinfiat-500c-by-gucci-20130711-2prq0
- Rocamora, A., & Smelik, A. (Eds.). (2016). Thinking through fashion: A guide to key theorists. London and New York: I. B. Tauris.
- Rocha, C. (2013, October 15). DESIGN DISRUPTED - Lexus, LEGS, Giles Deacon and Coco Rocha (Full Performance). YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmoKLpLAA6k
- Shinkle, E. (Ed.). (2008). Fashion as photograph: Viewing and reviewing images of fashion. London and New York: I.B.Tauris.
- Smilevski, J. (2012, April 17). Fiat 500 by Gucci - The Race (Short Film). YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mg2atwvFLI
- Taylor, M. (2005). Culture transition: Fashion's cultural dialogue between commerce and art. Fashion Theory, 9(4), 445-459. doi:10.2752/136270405778051112 https://doi.org/10.2752/136270405778051112
- VIDEO REPORT: High Fashion Designers Put Signature Touch on the Infiniti Q50. (2013, September 19). INFINITI. Retrieved from https://infinitinews.com/en-US/infiniti/usa/releases/video-report-high-fashion-designers-put-signature-touch-onthe-infiniti-q50?query=Thom+Browne+Infiniti+Q50
- Vijayenthiran, V. (2006, September 29). Paris: Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Versace unveiled. Motor Authority. Retrieved from https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028972_parislamborghini-murcielago-lp640-versace-unveiled
- Wilson, E. (2003). Adorned in dreams: Fashion and modernity (Revised and Undated ed.). New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Wright, M. (2018, May 20). How the Jaguar E-type Concept Zero was the perfect choice for the Royal wedding - A British classic with a modern twist. The Telegraph. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/jaguar-e-type-concept-zeroperfect-choice-royal-wedding-british/
- Yim, E. (2014). Tectonic strategies in architectonic fashion design. Journal of Fashion Business, 18(1), 164-181. doi:10.12940/jfb.2014.18.1.164 https://doi.org/10.12940/jfb.2014.18.1.164
- Zhang, Y., & Juhlin, O. (2016). Fashion in mobile phone design - The emergence of beautification, desirability and variation through institutional collaboration. Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process & the Fashion Industry, 8(1), 63-84. doi:10.1080/17569370.2016.1147807 https://doi.org/10.1080/17569370.2016.1147807