- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Computational Model for Hydrodynamic Pressure on Radial Gates during Earthquakes
레디얼 게이트에 작용하는 지진 동수압 계산 모형
- Phan, Hoang Nam (Faculty of Road and Bridge Engineering, The University of Danang) ;
- Lee, Jeeho (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dongguk University-Seoul)
- Received : 2019.08.17
- Accepted : 2019.08.27
- Published : 2019.10.31
In this study, a computational model approach for the modeling of hydrodynamic pressures acting on radial gates during strong earthquakes is proposed. The use of the dynamic layering method with the Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian (ALE) algorithm and the SIMPLE method for simulating free reservoir surface flow in addition to moving boundary interfaces between the fluid domain and a structure due to earthquake excitation are suggested. The verification and validation of the proposed approach are realized by comparisons performed using the renowned formulation derived by the experimental results for vertical and inclined dam surfaces subjected to earthquake excitation. A parameter study for the truncated lengths of the two-dimensional fluid domain demonstrates that twice the water level leads to efficient and converged computational results. Finally, numerical simulations for large radial gates with different curvatures subjected to two strong earthquakes are successfully performed using the suggested computational model.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- ANSYS (2010) ANSYS FLUENT 12.0/12.1 Documentation, ANSYS, Inc., NH, USA.
- Chakrabarti, P., Chopra, A.K. (1973). Earthquake Analysis of Gravity Dams including Hydrodynamic Interaction, Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 2, pp.143-160. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290020205
- Chen, B., Yuan, Y. (2011) Hydrodynamic Pressures on Arch Dam during Earthquakes, J. Hydraul. Eng., 137(1), pp.34-44. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000268
- Chen, B.F. (1994) Nonlinear Hydrodynamic Pressure on Dam Faces with Arbitrary Reservoir Shapes, J. of Hydra Res., 32(3), pp.401-413. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221689409498742
- Chen, B.F. (1996) Nonlinear Hydrodynamic Effects on Concrete Dam, Engrg. Str., 18 (3), pp.201-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00138-7
- Chen, B.F., Yuan, Y.S., Lee, J.F. (1999) Three-Dimensional Nonlinear Hydrodynamic Pressures by Earthquakes on Dam Faces with Arbitrary Reservoir Shapes, J. Hydra. Res., 37(2), pp.163-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221689909498304
- Chopra, A.K. (1970) Earthquake Response of Concrete Gravity Dams, Report No. UCB/EERC-70/01, University of California at Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Chopra, A.K. (1978) Earthquake Resistant Design of Concrete Gravity Dams, J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 104, pp.953-971.
- Chwang, A.T. (1978) Hydrodynamic Pressures on Sloping Dams during Earthquakes. Part 2, Exact Theory, J. Fluid Mech., 87, pp.342-348.
- Chwang, A.T. (1983) Nonlinear Hydrodynamic Pressure on an Accelerating Plate, J. Physics Fluids, 26(2), pp.383-387. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.864147
- Chwang, A.T., Housner, G.W. (1978) Hydrodynamic Pressures on Sloping Dams during Earthquakes. Part 1, Momentum Method, J. Fluid Mech., 87, pp.335-341. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112078001639
- Donea, J., Giuliani, S., Halleux, J.P. (1982) An Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian Finite Element Method for Transient Fluid-Structure Interaction, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 33, pp.689-723. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(82)90128-1
- Fenves, G., Chopra, A.K. (1984) Earthquake Analysis and Response of Concrete Gravity Dams, Report No. UCB/EERC-84/10, University of California at Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Hall, J.F., Chopra, A.K. (1982) Two-Dimensional Dynamic Analysis of Concrete Gravity and Embankment Dams including Hydrodynamic Effects, Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 10, pp.305-332. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100211
- Hirt, C.W., Amsden, A.A., Cook, J.L. (1974) An Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian Computing Method for All Flow Speeds, J. Comput. Phys., 14, pp.227-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(74)90051-5
- Hirt, C.W., Nichols, B.D. (1981) Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries, J. Comput. Phys., 39, pp.201-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5
- Patankar, S.V., Spalding, D.B. (1972) A Calculation Procedure for Hear, Mass and Momentum Transfer in Three-Dimensional Parabolic Flows, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 15(10), pp.1787-1806. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(72)90054-3
- Pelecanos, L., Kontoe, S., Zdravkovic, L. (2016) Dam-Reservoir Interaction Effects on the Elastic Dynamic Response of Concrete and Earth Dams, Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 82, pp.138-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2015.12.003
- Phan, H.N., Lee, J. (2010) Flood Impact Pressure Analysis of Vertical Wall Structures using PLIC-VOF Method with Lagrangian Advection Algorithm, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 23(6) pp.675-682.
- Rider, W.J., Kothe, D.B. (1998) Reconstructing Volume Tracking, J. Comput. Phys., 141, pp.112-152. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1998.5906
- Saini, S.S., Bettess, P.,d Zienkiewicz, O.C. (1978) Coupled Hydrodynamic Response of Concrete Gravity Dams using Finite and Infinite Elements, Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 6, pp.363-374. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290060404
- USACE (2000) Design of Spillway Tainter Gates, EM 1110-2-2702, US Army Corps of Engineers.
- USACE (2007) Earthquake Design and Evaluation of Concrete Hydraulic Structures, EM 1110-2-6053, US Army Corps of Engineers.
- USBR (2006) State-of-Practice for the Nonlinear Analysis of Concrete Dams at the Bureau of Reclamation, Bureau of Reclamation, US Department of the Interior.
- Westergaard, H.M. (1933) Water Pressure on Dams during Earthquakes, Trans. ASCE, 98, pp.418-472.
- Youngs, D.L. (1982) Time-dependent Multi-Material Flow with Large Fluid Distortion, Numerical Method for Fluid Dynamics, Academic Press, NY, pp.273-285.
- Zangar, C.N. (1952) Hydrodynamic Pressures on Dams Due to Horizontal Earthquake Effects, Bureau of Reclamation, US Department of the Interior.