- Volume 30 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Resource Assessment of Theoretical Potential of Ocean Energy in Korea
국내 해양에너지 이론적 잠재량 산정 연구
- HWANG, SUJIN (Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Inha University) ;
- JO, CHULHEE (Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2019.08.05
- Accepted : 2019.10.31
- Published : 2019.10.31
This paper describes the resource assessment of theoretical potential of ocean energy including tidal current energy, tidal range energy, wave energy and ocean thermal energy in Korea to provide reliable basis for feasible development plan of ocean energy. Because of different characteristics of each ocean energy resources, the resource assessment methods were established considering characteristics of each ocean energy resources. The coastal region of Korea has been divided into 10 regions. The results show that tidal current energy is abundant in Incheon-Gyunggi and Jeollanam-do and tidal range energy is abundant in Incheon-Gyunggi. And wave energy is abundant in Jeollanam-do, Jeju and Gyeongsangbuk-do and there is ocean thermal energy in Gangwon-do and Gyeongsangbuk-do.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- C. H. Jo, K. H. Lee, and S. J. Hwang, "Tidal current energy resource assessment technique and procedure applied in western coastal region, South Korea", Taylor & Francis Group UK, 2015, pp. 153-159, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.17265/1934-8975/2015.04.005.
- C. H. Jo, K. H. Lee, B. K. Cho, and S. J. Hwang, "Resource assessment of tidal current energy using API in Korea", Journal of the Korean Solar Energy Society, Vol. 36, No. 1, 2016, pp. 75-81, doi: https://doi.org/10.7836/kses.2016.36.1.075. https://doi.org/10.7836/kses.2016.36.1.075
- C. H. Jo, K. H. Lee, B. K. Cho, and S. J. Hwang, "Tidal current resource assessment using a numerical simulation of water circulation in Korea", New & Renewable Energy, Vol. 12, No. S2, 2016, pp. 71-76. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.7849/ksnre.2016.10.12.s2.71. https://doi.org/10.7849/ksnre.2016.10.12.S2.71
- G. Kim, W. M. Jeong, K. S. Lee, K. Jun, and M. E. Lee, "Offshore and nearshore wave energy assessment around the Korean Peninsula", Energy, Vol. 36, No. 3, 2011, pp. 1460-1469, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.01.023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.01.023
- G. W. Kim, M. E. Lee, K. S. Lee, J. S. Park, W. M. Jeong, S. K. Kang, J. G. Soh, and H. N. Kim, "An overview of ocean renewable energy resources in Korea", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2012, pp. 2278-2288, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.01.040. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.01.040
- MOTIE, "2018 New & Renewable Energy White Paper", 2018. Retrieved from https://www.data.go.kr/dataset/15017224/fileData.do.
- L. E. Myers, B. Keogh, and A. S. Bahaj, "Layout Optimisation of 1st-Generation Tidal Energy Arrays", Proc. of 9th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, 2011. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264156614_Layout_Optimisation_of_1st-generation_tidal_energy_arrays.
- P. Mycek, B. Gaurier, G. Germain, G. Pinon, and E. Rivoalen, "Experimental study of the turbulence intensity effects on marine current turbines behaviour. Part I: One single turbine", Renewable Energy, Vol. 66, 2014, pp. 729-746, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.12.036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.12.036
- A. M. Cornett, "A global wave energy resource assessment", In The Eighteenth International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 2008, pp. 318-326. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259623644_A_Global_Wave_Energy_Resource_Assessment.
- G. C. Nihous, "An order-of-magnitude estimate of ocean thermal energy conversion resources", Journal of Energy Resources Technology, Vol. 127, No. 4, 2005, pp. 328-333, doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1949624. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1949624
- G. C. Nihous, "A preliminary assessment of ocean thermal energy conversion resources", J. Energy Resour. Technol., Vol. 129, No. 1, 2007, pp. 10-17, doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2424965. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2424965
- K. Rajagopalan, and G. C. Nihous, "Estimates of global Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) resources using an ocean general circulation model", Renewable Energy, Vol. 50, 2013, pp. 532-540, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.07.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.07.014
- Y. Goda, "Random seas and design of maritime structures, Advanced Series on Ocean Engineering", World scientific, Singapore, 2010, doi: https://doi.org/10.1142/7425.