- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Case Study on the Shear Characteristics of Limestone Joint Surfaces by Direct Shear Tests
직접전단시험에 의한 석회암 자연절리면의 전단특성 분석사례
- Kim, Jong-Woo (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Cheongju University)
- 김종우 (청주대학교 토목공학과)
- Received : 2019.09.25
- Accepted : 2019.10.17
- Published : 2019.10.31
Limestone joint surfaces with smooth roughness were experimented by means of both the individual direct shear tests based on the KSRM standard test method and the multi-stage direct shear test to apply the stepwise vertical stresses. Changes in the roughness of the joint surfaces before and after the shear tests were examined and the difference between the two kinds of tests mentioned above was analyzed. In both tests, the shear resistance increased as the joint roughness increased and the maximum shear stress required for shearing the joint surface increased as the vertical stress increased. The peak friction angle obtained by the multi-stage direct shear tests was only 63% of that obtained by the individual direct shear tests. In the multi-stage direct shear test, the initial engagement of the concave-convex parts changes frequently during stepwise shearing process, which deforms the original roughness of a joint surface. Accordingly, the individual direct shear test is thought to be more effective when obtaining the friction angle of the rock joint surfaces. Limestone joint surfaces with smooth roughness of JRC value 4~8 were found to have peak friction angle of
- Barton, N.R. and V. Choubey, 1977. The shear strength of rock joints in theory and practice. Rock Mech. 10(1-2), 1-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01261801
- Barton, N.R., 1976, The shear strength of rock and rock joint, Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 12, 255-279.
- Cho, T.C., J.W. Suk and J.G. Lee, 2013, A study of the effect of asperity change on the shear strength of joint plane, Tunnel and Underground Space, 23.5, 401-412. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.5.401
- ISRM, 1981, Suggested methods for determining shear strength, Rock characterization, testing and monitoring: ISRM suggested Methods(Edited by Brown E.T.), ISRM commission on Testing Methods. Pergamon, Oxford, 131-140.
- Jang B.A., T.H. Kim and H.S. Jang, 2010, Characterization of the three dimensional roughness of rock joints and proposal of a modified shear strength criterion, The Journal of Engineering Geology, 20.3, 319-327.
- Jang, B.A. and J.S. Cho, 1999, A study on shearing characteristics of joint model, The Journal of Engineering Geology, 9.1, 69-82.
- Kim D.K., Y.K. Hong and J.W. Kim, 2016, Shear behavior characteristics of rock joints considering roughness parameters, Tunnel and Underground Space, 26.5, 384-395. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2016.26.5.384
- Kim, Y.J, Y.H. Lee, S.K. Kim, and J.H. Kim, 2005, A study on shear behaviors for the rock joint in the constant normal stiffness condition, Tunnel and Underground Space, 15.5, 330-337.
- KSRM, 2009, Standard test methods for determining direct shear strength of rock in laboratory, Tunnel and Underground Space, 19.4, 269-272.
- Lee, D.H. and S.O. Choi, 2014, Influence of joint secondary roughness on roughness parameter in direct shear test, Tunnel and Underground Space, 24.1, 89-96. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2014.24.1.089
- Lee, J.U., C.G. Rhee, S.I. Hwang, C.J. Chang and W.H. Choi, 1993, Relationship between shear behavior characteristics and mechanical parameters of fractures, The Journal of Engineering Geology, 3.1, 1-20.
- Lee, M.H, J.W. Kim and K.T. Chang, 2007, The influence of rock joint roughness and normal stress on shear behaviour, Tunnel and Underground Space, 17.3, 186-196.
- Lee, S.D, J.H. Kang, and C,I. Lee, 1994, Shear strength and deformation behavior of rock joint with roughness., Tunnel and Underground Space, 4.3, 261-273.
- Park, B.K, C.S. Lee, and S.W. Jeon, 2007, Shear behavior of rough granite joints under CNS conditions, Tunnel and Underground Space, 17.3, 203-215.
- Yoon, J.S., D.Y. Kim, H.S. Lee and H.I. Yoon, 1998, A study on the shear strength measurement of the seoul granite by the multi-stage direct shear test, Journal of Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, 35.5, 435-443.
- Zhao, J. and Y. Zhou, 1992, Influence of joint matching characteristics in rock slope stability, Proceedings of ISRM Regional Symposium on Rock Slopes, New Delhi, 139-146.