- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Introduction of Q-slope and its Application Case in a Open Pit Coal Mine
Q-slope의 소개와 노천채탄장에서의 적용 사례
- Sunwoo, Choon (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, Geologic Environment Division)
- 선우춘 (한국지질자원연구원 지질환경연구본부)
- Received : 2019.09.30
- Accepted : 2019.10.16
- Published : 2019.10.31
The RMR and Q-system for characterizing rock mass and drilling core, and for estimating the support and reinforcement measures in mine galleries, tunnels and caverns have been widely used by engineers. SMR has been widely used in the rock mass classification for rock slope, but Q-Slope has been introduced into slopes since 2015. In the last ten years, a modified Q-system called Q-slope has been tested by the many authors for application to the benches in open pit mines and excavated road rock slopes. The results have shown that a simple correlation exists between Q-slope values and the long-term stable and unsupported slope angles. Just as RMR and Q have been used together in a tunnel or underground space and complemented by comparison, Q-Slope can be used in parallel with SMR. This paper introduces how to use Q-Slope which has not been announced in Korea and application examples of Pasir open pit coal mine in Indonesia.
Grant : 시추공 기반 심지층 특성규명 InDEPTH 요소기술 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- Alejano L.R., I. Gomez-Marquez, R. Martinez-Alegria, 2010, Analysis of a complex toppling-circular slope failure. Eng Geol., 114, pp. 93-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2010.03.005
- Bar N. and N.B Barton, 2016, Empirical slope design for hard and soft rocks using Q-slope. In: ARMA, 50th US Rocks Mechanics geomechanics symposium. https://www.onepetro.org/conference-paper/ARMA-2016-384.
- Bar N., N. Barton, C.A. Ryan, 2016, Application of the Q-slope method to highly weathered and saprolitic rocks in Far North Queensland, Proceedings of the ISRM international symposium, Eurock 2016, Cappadocia, pp. 585-590.
- Barton N., Bar N., 2015, Introducing the Q-slope method and its intended use within civil and mining engineering projects, In: EUROCK 2015 and 64th Geo-mechanics, Salzburg, pp. 157-162.
- Barton N.R., Lien, R. & Lunde, J., 1974, Engineering classification of rock masses for the design of tunnel support. Rock Mechanics. Volume 6, pp. 189-236. Springer-Verlag. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01239496
- Bieniawski Z.T., 1973, Engineering classification of rock masses, Trans S. Afr Inst Civ Eng, vol.15, no.12, pp. 335-344.
- Bieniawski Z.T., 1976. Rock mass classification in rock engineering, in: Bieniawski Z.T. (Ed.), Exploration for rock engineering, Proceedings of the Symposium Expl. Rock Engineering, Johannesburg, pp. 97-106.
- Bieniawski Z.T., 1989, Engineering Rock Mass Classification, Wiley, Chichester, 251p.
- Hack R., Price, D., Rengers, N.A., 2003. A new approach to rock slope stability - a probability classification (SSPC). B. Eng. Geol. Environ, vol. 62, pp. 167-184.
- Hack, R., 1998, Slope Stability Probability Classification, vol.43, ITC Delft Publication, Enschede, Netherlands, 273p.
- Lindsay, P., Campbell, R.N., Fergusson, D.A., Gillard, G.R., Moore, T.A., 2001, Slope stability probability classification, Waikato Coal Measures, New Zeland. Int. J. Coal Geol., vol. 45, pp. 127-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-5162(00)00028-8
- Moon V., Russell G. and Stewart M., 2001, The value of rock mass classification systems for weak rock masses: a case example from Huntly, New Zealand, Eng. Geol., 61, pp. 53-67.
- Robertson A.M., 1988, Estimating weak rock strength, in: Sastry, K.V.S. (Ed.), Proceedings of the SME Annual meeting, Society of Mining Engineering, Phoenix, pp. 1-5.
- Romana M., 1985, New adjustment ratings for application of Bieniawski classification to slopes, in: Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Role of Rock Mechanics in Excavations for Mining and Civil Works. International Society of Rock Mechanics, Zacatecas, pp. 49-53.
- Romana M., 1993. SMR classification: Romana, M Proc 7th ISRM International Congress on Rock Mechanics, Aachen, 16-20 September 1991V2, P955-960. Publ Rotterdam: A A Balkema, 1991. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts 30, A231-A231.
- Romana M., R. Tomas and J.B. Seron, 2015, Slope Mass Rating (SMR) geomechanics classification: thirty years review, Conference 13th ISRM Congress, Quebec, Canada.
- Selby M.J., 1980, A rock mass strength classification for geomorphic purposes: with test from Antarctica and New Zeland. Zeitschrifts fur Geomorphologie 24, 31-51.
- Stead D. and Wolter A., 2015, A critical review of rock slope failure mechanisms: the importance of structural geology, J Struct Geol., vol.74, pp. 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsg.2015.02.002
- Sunwoo C., Ryu C.H., Choi B.H., Ryu D.W. and Jung Y.B., 2007, A study on the improvement of productivity and slope stability of weak rock in large scale open pit coal mine, KIGAM Report, NP2007-006-2007(1), 195p.
- Tomas R., A. Cuenca, M. Cano, J. Garcia-Barba, 2012, A graphical approach for slope mass rating (SMR), Eng. Geol., vol.124, pp. 67-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.10.004
- Tomas R., J. Delgado, J.B. Seron, 2007, Modification of slope mass rating(SMR) by continuous functions. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., vol.44, pp. 1062-1069. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.02.004