- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Systematic Review of Herbal Medicine Treatment for Knee Osteoarthritis
퇴행성 슬관절염의 한약제제 치료에 대한 체계적 문헌고찰
- Kim, Ji-Hoon (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongshin University) ;
- Yoon, Young-Suk (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Lee, Won-Jun (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Korean Medicine) ;
- Ko, Hong-Je (Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Dongshin University Mokpo Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Kim, Seon-Jong (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongshin University)
- 김지훈 (동신대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 윤영석 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 이원준 (자생한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 고홍제 (동신대학교 목포한방병원 침구과) ;
- 김선종 (동신대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2019.09.11
- Accepted : 2019.10.14
- Published : 2019.10.31
Objectives This study reviewed recent clinical research trends regarding the effectiveness of herbal medicine treatments for knee osteoarthritis. Methods We reviewed 4 different online databases (PubMed, China National Knowledge Infrastructure [CNKI], National Digital Science Library [NDSL], Oriental Medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System [OASIS]) from January 1, 2015 to August 31, 2019. Results Thirty-two randomized controlled trial papers were selected in this review. Most of them were conducted during 12 weeks, used Western Ontario and Mcmaster Universities Arthritis Index. In 22 of the papers, the effectiveness in the intervention groups was significantly higher than that in the control groups statistically (p<0.05). 5 studies reported intervention group was not inferior to the control group. Conclusions Most of studies showed herbal medicine treatments were statistically effective to knee osteoarthritis. More scientific and systematic clinical studies should be actively conducted in the future, and the results of this study could be used as basic data in the future clinical studies on herbal medicine treatment for knee osteoarthritis.
Supported by : Dongshin University
- McAlindon TE, Bannuru RR, Sullivan MC, Arden NK, Berenbaum F, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, Hawker GA, Henrotin Y, Hunter DJ, Kawaguchi H, Kwoh K, Lohmander S, Rannou F, Roos EM, Underwood M. OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2014;22(3):363-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2014.01.003
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:115-6.
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin medical Publishing Co. 2013:994-1071
- National Clinical Guideline Centre (UK). Osteoarthritis: care and management in adults. London:National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (UK). 2014:304-12.
- Brown GA. AAOS clinical practice guideline: treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: evidence-based guideline. 2nd ed. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2013;21(9):577-9.
- Yao S, Zhang J, Wang D, Hou J, Yang W, Da J, Cai L, Yang M, Jiang B, Liu X, Guo DA, Wu W. Discriminatory components retracing strategy for monitoring the preparation procedure of Chinese patent medicines by fingerprint and chemometric analysis. PloS One. 2015;10(3):e0121366. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0121366
- Ha CW, Park YB, Min BW, Han SB, Lee JH, Won YY, Park YS. Prospective, randomized, double-blinded, double-dummy and multicenter phase IV clinical study comparing the efficacy and safety of PG201 (Layla) and SKI306X in patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2016;181:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.01.029
- Wang F, Shi L, Zhang Y, Wang K, Pei F, Zhu H, Shi Z, Tao T, Li Z, Zeng P, Wang X, Ji Q, Qin L, Xue Q. A traditional herbal formula xianlinggubao for pain control and function improvement in patients with knee and hand osteoarthritis: a multicenter, randomized, open-label, controlled trial. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2018;2018:1827528.
- Stebbings S, Beattie E, McNamara D, Hunt S. A pilot randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial to investigate the efficacy and safety of an extract of Artemisia annua administered over 12 weeks, for managing pain, stiffness, and functional limitation associated with osteoarthritis of the hip and knee. Clinical Rheumatology. 2016;35(7):1829-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-015-3110-z
- Soo May L, Sanip Z, Ahmed Shokri A, Abdul Kadir A, Md Lazin MR. The effects of Momordica charantia (bitter melon) supplementation in patients with primary knee osteoarthritis: a single-blinded, randomized controlled trial. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2018;32:181-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2018.06.012
- Qiqing C, Hongting J, Bin H, Liang W, Luwei X, Peijian T. Effect of huqian wan on liver-yin and kidney-yin deficiency patterns in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine 2015;35(4):417-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(15)30118-7
- Lao L, Hochberg M, Lee DYW, Gilpin AMK, Fong HHS, Langenberg P, Chen K, Li EK, Tam LS, Berman B. Huo-Luo-Xiao-Ling(HLXL)-Dan, a Traditional Chinese Medicine, for patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a multi-site, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase II clinical trial. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2015;23(12):2102-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2015.06.007
- Hashempur MH, Sadrneshin S, Mosavat SH, Ashraf A. Green tea (Camellia sinensis) for patients with knee osteoarthritis: A randomized open-label active-controlled clinical trial. Clinical Nutrition. 2018;37(1):85-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2016.12.004
- Chang SH, Song YK, Nah SS. The clinical efficacy and safety of gumiganghwal-tang in knee osteoarthritis: a phase ii randomized double blind placebo controlled study. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2018;2018:1-8.
- Zuo C, Yin G, Cen XM, Xie QB. Controlled clinical study on compound decumbent corydalis rhizome and diclofenac in treatment of knee osteoarthritis. China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica. 2015;40(1):149-53.
- Srivastava S, Saksena AK, Khattri S, Kumar S, Dagur RS. Curcuma longa extract reduces inflammatory and oxidative stress biomarkers in osteoarthritis of knee: a four-month, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Inflammopharmacology. 2016;24(6):377-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-016-0289-9
- Schell J, Scofield RH, Barrett JR, Kurien BT, Betts N, Lyons TJ, Zhao YD, Basu A. Strawberries improve pain and inflammation in obese adults with radiographic evidence of knee osteoarthritis. Nutrients. 2017;9(9):949. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9090949
- Salimzadeh A, Ghourchian A, Choopani R, Hajimehdipoor H, Kamalinejad M, Abolhasani M. Effect of an orally formulated processed black cumin, from Iranian traditional medicine pharmacopoeia, in relieving symptoms of knee osteoarthritis: A prospective, randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled clinical trial. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases. 2017;20(6):691-701. https://doi.org/10.1111/1756-185X.13066
- Salimzadeh A, Alipoor E, Dehghani S, Yaseri M, Hosseini M, Feinle-Bisset C, Hosseinzadeh-Attar MJ. The effect of 12-week garlic supplementation on symptom relief in overweight or obese women with knee osteoarthritis. International Journal of Clinical Practice. 2018;72(6):e13208. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.13208
- Ross SM. Turmeric (Curcuma longa): Effects of curcuma longa extracts compared with ibuprofen for reduction of pain and functional improvement in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Holistic Nursing Practice. 2016;30(3):183-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/HNP.0000000000000152
- Nirvanashetty S, Panda SK, Parachur VA, Mohanty N, Swain T. A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled, parallel-group study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Curene(R) versus placebo in reducing symptoms of knee OA. BioMed Research International. 2018;2018:5291945.
- Panahi Y, Alishiri GH, Bayat N, Hosseini SM, Sahebkar A. Efficacy of elaeagnus angustifolia extract in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. EXCLI Journal. 2016;15:203-10.
- Nash RJ, Azantsa BK, Sharp H, Shanmugham V. Effectiveness of cucumis sativus extract versus glucosamine-chondroitin in the management of moderate osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2018;13:2119-26. https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S173227
- Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Naderi Z, Dehghan A, Nadjarzadeh A, Fallah Huseini H. Effect of ginger supplementation on proinflammatory cytokines in older patients with osteoarthritis: outcomes of a randomized controlled clinical trial. Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2016;35(3):209-18. https://doi.org/10.1080/21551197.2016.1206762
- More M, Gruenwald J, Pohl U, Uebelhack R. A rosa canina-urtica dioicaharpagophytum procumbens/zeyheri combination significantly reduces gonarthritis symptoms in a randomized, placebo-controlled double-blind study. Planta Medica. 2017;83(18):1384-91. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0043-112750
- Lopez HL, Habowski SM, Sandrock JE, Raub B, Kedia A, Bruno EJ, Ziegenfuss TN. Effects of dietary supplementation with a standardized aqueous extract of Terminalia chebula fruit (AyuFlex(R)) on joint mobility, comfort, and functional capacity in healthy overweight subjects: a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2017;17(1):475. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-017-1977-8
- Khadem Haghighian M, Alipoor B, Malek Mahdavi A, Eftekhar Sadat B, Asghari Jafarabadi M, Moghaddam A. Effects of sesame seed supplementation on inflammatory factors and oxidative stress biomarkers in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Acta Medica Iranica. 2015;53(4):207-13.
- Karimifar M, Soltani R, Hajhashemi V, Sarrafchi S. Evaluation of the effect of Elaeagnus angustifolia alone and combined with Boswellia thurifera compared with ibuprofen in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double-blind controlled clinical trial. Clinical Rheumatology. 2017;36(8):1849-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-017-3603-z
- Kakuo S, Fushimi T, Kawasaki K, Nakamura J, Ota N. Effects of Psidium guajava Linn. leaf extract in Japanese subjects with knee pain: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel pilot study. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. 2018;30(11):1391-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40520-018-0953-6
- Ghoochani N, Karandish M, Mowla K, Haghighizadeh MH, Jalali MT. The effect of pomegranate juice on clinical signs, matrix metalloproteinases and antioxidant status in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2016;96(13):4377-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7647
- Du C, Smith A, Avalos M, South S, Crabtree K, Wang W, Kwon YH, Vijayagopal P, Juma S. Blueberries improve pain, gait performance, and inflammation in individuals with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. Nutrients. 2019;11(2):290. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11020290
- Dehghani S, Alipoor E, Salimzadeh A, Yaseri M, Hosseini M, Feinle-Bisset C, Hosseinzadeh-Attar MJ. The effect of a garlic supplement on the pro-inflammatory adipocytokines, resistin and tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and on pain severity, in overweight or obese women with knee osteoarthritis. Phytomedicine. 2018;48:70-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2018.04.060
- Belcaro G, Dugall M, Luzzi R, Hosoi M, Ledda A, Feragalli B, Hu S, Ganguly A, Eggenhoffner R, Corti A, Giacomelli L. Phytoproflex(R): supplementary management of osteoarthrosis: a supplement registry. Minerva Med. 2018;109:88-94.
- Naderi Z, Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Dehghan A, Nadjarzadeh A, Huseini HF. Effect of ginger powder supplementation on nitric oxide and C-reactive protein in elderly knee osteoarthritis patients: A 12-week double-blind randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine. 2016;6(3):199-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcme.2014.12.007
- Zhang C, Gao H, Huang Y, Wang N, Li S, Liu Yl. Effect and clinical significance of traditional Chinese medicine Bushen Gujin Recipe on IL-1 and iNOS levels in middle-aged and elderly patients with knee osteoarthritis[J]. Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis. 2015;21(7):780-3.
- Li J. Clinical observation of traditional Chinese medicine Jiawei Siwu decoction in treating osteoarthritis[J]. Inner Mongolia Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2015;34(12):10.
- Guo X, Dong B, Yao J. Clinical study on treatment of knee osteoarthritis with Bushen Yiqi Chinese Medicine[J]. Inner Mongolia Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2017;36(16):1.
- Kim JG, Ha JG, Lee H, Jeong JM. Animal and clinical study of the efficacy of mulberry extract complex on degenerative arthritis. The Korea Journal of Herbology. 2015;30(3):25-34.
- Altman R, Asch E, Bloch D, Bole G, Borenstein D, Brandt K, Christy W, Cooke TD, Greenwald R, Hochberg M. Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis: classification of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis & Rheumatism: Official Journal of the American College of Rheumatology. 1986;29(8):1039-49.
- Kim JH, Ryu KH, Jung KW, Han CK, Kwak WJ, Cho YB. SKI306X suppresses cartilage destruction and inhibits the production of matrix metalloproteinase in rabbit joint cartilage explant culture. Journal of Pharmacological Sciences. 2005;98(3):298-306. https://doi.org/10.1254/jphs.FPJ04058X
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Essentials of musculoskeletal care. 4th ed. Seoul:Hanwoori. 2009:324.
- Zhang W, Moskowitz RW, Nuki G, Abramson S, Altman RD, Arden N, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Brandt KD, Croft P, Doherty M, Dougados M, Hochberg M, Hunter DJ, Kwoh K, Lohmander LS, Tugwell P. OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis, part I: critical appraisal of existing treatment guidelines and systematic review of current research evidence. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2007;15(9):981-1000. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2007.06.014