- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome Managed with Korean Medicine Therapy: A Case Report
대전자 동통 증후군에 대한 복합 한의진료 경과: 증례보고
- Received : 2019.09.10
- Accepted : 2019.10.01
- Published : 2019.10.31
The Objective of this study is to report the results of greater trochanteric pain syndrome (GTPS) patient with Korean medicine therapy. There were insufficient clinical trials and case reports of GTPS treated with Korean medicine, we report the GTPS case remarkably improved treatment results. We treated the patient with acupuncture, acupotomy, pharmacopuncture, Chuna manual therapy and herbal medication. To evaluate the treatment effects, we used the measures including Verbal numerical rating scale, Oswestry disability index and Victorian Institute of Sport Assessment-gluteal tendinopathy scale. After total of 26 days of treatment, the patient's hip pain and disability were greatly reduced, and the outcome measures showed this great improvement. Korean medicine therapy might be effective in GTPS, although further study is needed to determine the role for Korean medicine.
Supported by : 청연중앙연구소
- Hirschmann A, Falkowski AL, Kovacs B. Greater trochanteric pain syndrome: abductors, external rotators. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2017;21(5):539-46. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1606139
- Torres A, Fernandez-Fairen M, Sueiro-Fernandez J. Greater trochanteric pain syndrome and gluteus medius and minimus tendinosis: nonsurgical treatment. Pain Anag. 2018;8(1):45-55.
- Segal NA, Felson DT, Torner JC, Zhu Y, Curtis JR, Niu J, Nevitt MC; Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study Group. Greater trochanteric pain syndrome: epidemiology and associated factors. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88(8):988-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.04.014
- Tan LA, Benkli B, Tuchman A, Li XJ, Desai NN, Bottiglieri TS, Pavel J, Lenke LG, Lehman RA Jr. High prevalence of greater trochanteric pain syndrome among patients presenting to spine clinic for evaluation of degenerative lumbar pathologies. J Clin Neurosci. 2018;53:89-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2018.04.030
- Reid D. The management of greater trochanteric pain syndrome: A systematic literature review. J Orthop. 2016;13(1):15-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2015.12.006
- Barratt PA, Brookes N, Newson A. Conservative treatments for greater trochanteric pain syndrome: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51(2):97-104. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2015-095858
- Brennan KL, Allen BC, Maldonado YM. Dry needling versus cortisone injection in the treatment of greater trochanteric pain syndrome: a noninferiority randomized clinical trial. The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2017;47(4):232-9. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2017.6994
- Ferreira-Valente MA, Pais-Ribeiro JL, Jensen MP. Validity of four pain intensity rating scales. Pain. 2011;152(10):2399-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2011.07.005
- Kim DY, Lee SH, Lee HY, Lee HJ, Chang SB, Chung SK, Kim HJ. Validation of the Korean version of the oswestry disability index. Spine. 2005;30(5):E123-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000157172.00635.3a
- Fearon AM, Ganderton C, Scarvell JM, Smith PN, Neeman T, Nash C, Cook JL. Development and validation of a VISA tendinopathy questionnaire for greater trochanteric pain syndrome, the VISA-G. Man Ther. 2015;20(6):805-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2015.03.009
- Chowdhury R, Naaseri S, Lee J, Rajeswaran G. Imaging and management of greater trochanteric pain syndrome. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2014;90(1068):576. https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2013-131828
- Cohen SP, Strassels SA, Foster L, Marvel J, Williams K, Crooks M, Gross A, Kurihara C, Nguyen C, Williams N. Comparison of fluoroscopically guided and blind corticosteroid injections for greater trochanteric pain syndrome: multicentre randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2009;338:b1088. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b1088
- Lievense A, Bierma-Zeinstra S, Schouten B, Bohnen A, Verhaar J, Koes B. Prognosis of trochanteric pain in primary care. The British Journal of General Practice: the Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners. 2005;55(512):199-204.
- Kim JH, Rhee HK. An Experimental study on the anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of sokyunghwalhyeol-tang. Journal of Korean Medicine. 1985;6(1):133-9.
- Kim KY, Jeong HW, Choi CH, Kim HW, Kim GD, Sim KC, Kim GY. Analgesic effects of sokyungwhalhyul-tang on constriction nerve injury-induced neuropathic pain in rats. Journal of Physiology & Pathology in Korean Medicine. 2011;25(2):195-201.
- Yuk DI, Kim KM, Jeon JH, Kim YI, Kim JH. A review of trends for acupotomy. J Acupunct Res. 2014;31(3):35-43. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014041
- Park TY, Moon TW, Cho DC, Lee JH, Ko YS, Hwang EH, Heo KH, Choi TY, Shin BC. An introduction to Chuna manual medicine in Korea: History, insurance coverage, education, and clinical research in Korean literature. Integrative Medicine Research. 2014;3(2):49-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imr.2013.08.001
- Lee NW, Kim GH, Heo I, Kim KW, Ha IH, Lee JH, Hwang EH, Shin BC. Chuna (or Tuina) manual therapy for musculoskeletal disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017;2017:8218139.
- Ceballos-Laita L, Estebanez-de-Miguel E, Martin-Nieto G, Bueno-Gracia E, Fortun-Agud M, Jimenez-del-Barrio S. Effects of non-pharmacological conservative treatment on pain, range of motion and physical function in patients with mild to moderate hip osteoarthritis. A systematic review. Complement Ther Med. 2019;42:214-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2018.11.021
- Grimaldi A, Fearon A. Gluteal tendinopathy: integrating pathomechanics and clinical features in its management. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2015;45(11):910-22. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2015.5829