- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Case of Combined Korean Medicine Treatment for Recurrent Limb Weakness after Guillain-Barré Syndrome Improvement: Case Report
길랑바레 증후군 호전 이후 재발한 사지무력 증상에 대한 한방 복합치료 1예: 증례보고
- Park, Song-Mi (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-eui University) ;
- Cho, Sung-Woo (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dong-eui University)
- Received : 2019.09.12
- Accepted : 2019.10.10
- Published : 2019.10.31
The objective of this study is to propose Korean Medicine treatment for recurrent limb weakness after Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) improvement by intraveinous immunoglobulin, and to report its effectiveness. Manual muscle test (MMT), Korean modified Bathel index (K-MBI), and tendon reflex were used to evaluate the patient. The patient was improved hip joint, knee joint, ankle joint MMT from grade 3-/3- to grade 5/5 and in the upper limb the patient can do big joint exercise but cannot do micromovement like writing or using cell phone. When discharge date the patient's wrist joint MMT grade is improved grade 5-/5- to grade 5/5. The K-MBI score is improved from 71 to 86 and there was a big change in walking and chair/bed transfer, there was no change in tendon reflex. This study suggests that Korean Medicine can be effective for patients who have recurrent limb weakness after GBS improvement.
- Kim HB, Ryu JH, Hwang JW, Do SH. Anesthetic management for cesarean delivery in a Guillain-Barre syndrome patient. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2013;3:268-71.
- Jang JU, Koo BM, Lee KY, Yang JC, Mun KS. Clinical observation on 2 case of Guillain-Barre syndrome. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2006;23:189-98.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:165-72.
- Heo I, Heo KH, Hwang EH, Shin BC, Hwang MS. A case report on patient with Guillain-Barre syndrome improved by korean medical combined treatment. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2015;25:95-101. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.1.095
- Huh G, Lee YC, Lee JM, Oh MS. A case report of Guilain-Barre syndrome. Journal of Daejeon University's College of Korean Medicine. 2014;23:137-48.
- Association of Korean Medicine Professors for Cardiovascular and Neurological Medicine. Cardiovascular and neurological medicine in Korean medicine. 1st ed. Seoul:WooriMedical Books. 2016:285-92.
- Moon SE. General coordinative manipulation. 3rd ed. Seoul:Hakjisa Medical. 2015:342-43.
- Park SH, Kwon JG, Park JW, Keum DH. Treatment of Wallenberg's syndrome following selective nerve root block: a case report. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2016;26:107-15. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2016.26.4.107
- Song YJ, Hong JR. Cognitive and swallowing function and daily independence in patients with acute cerebral infarction. Journal of Occupational Therapy for The Aged and Dementia. 2016;10(2):32-40.
- Shin MS, Choi JB. A case report on the patient with Guillain-Barre syndrome. J Korean Med Rehabil.. 2003;13:137-46.
- Jung DY, Ryu SM, Joo BG, Kim YS. A case report on patient with Guillain-Barre syndrome, laying emphasis in electrodiagnostic studies. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2004;14:85-94.
- Pieter D, Krista K, Christa W, Rinske K, Liselotte R, Bart J. IVIG treatment and prognosis in Gullain-Barre syndrome. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30:74-8.
- Ryu DM, Kim JD, Kim YG, Lee BS, Oh JH, Kwon YD, Choi KL. Guillain-Barre syndrome: a case report. Maxillofacial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 2004;26:490-3.
- Yun SH, Kim J, Hah JS, Joo SG, Cho YK, Kim JH, Chung JY. Clinical and electrophysiological study on Guillain-Barre syndrome. Yeungnam Univercity Journal of Medicine. 2005;22:52-61. https://doi.org/10.12701/yujm.2005.22.1.52
- Jung H, Park SJ, Lee HE, Kim B, Lee EJ, Oh MS, Heo DS. Review on the study of sibjeondaedo-tang published in Korea from 2000 to 2013. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2014;24(1):47-53.
- Lee DE, Park WH, Cha YY. The case report of chronic ankle sprain improved with hominis placenta pharmacopuncture treatment. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2016;26(3):171-81. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2016.26.3.171
- Lee YR, Kim KS, Choi HS, Kim SM. A case report of patient Guillain-Barre syndrome complaining of fatigue and tingling improved by Korean medicine treatment. Journal of Internal Korean Medicine. 2017;38(5):719-26. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2017.38.5.719