- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Study of Design of Traffic Lights for the Prevention of Disaster to be prepared for a Super-aged Society
초고령사회에 대비한 교통신호등 방재디자인 연구
- Received : 2019.08.19
- Accepted : 2019.09.23
- Published : 2019.10.28
South Korea, which has entered an aged society, is about to enter a super-aged society in 2025. With the increase of an aging population, traffic accidents by aged drivers have been settled as a social problem. Now, when Korea is facing a super-aged society to come, a study was conducted to prevent traffic accidents that occur while the elderly people are driving through a disaster prevention design. For theoretical research, this study examined the concept and necessity of disaster prevention design, the present condition of an aged society, aged drivers' physical and cognitive characteristics, and the policies related to the forms of traffic lights the elderly people see. In addition, to propose the design, this study investigated and analyzed the traffic safety forms and colors of the International Standards Organization and proposed the first and second forms of the design of traffic lights for the gradual improvement of the traffic lights based on that. The first improved design form is a plan for displaying a triangle, an arrow with a large area, and a quadrangle in the lens of the head of the existing traffic lights, and the second improved design form is a plan for introducing a new traffic light head and forming the traffic light with a bigger triangle, an arrow with a large area and a quadrangular lens. Since it has a visually clearer form than the present traffic lights, it is expected that aged drivers who have physical and cognitive characteristics due to aging can secure better visibility and conspicuity and that they can make better reflex responses than they can now, also in the change of driving environment (rain and heavy snowstorm, etc.). In addition, it is expected that this study would be a preceding study to prepare standard guidelines on traffic safety signs other than traffic lights to be prepared for the super-aged society.
- 황정현, 고령사회 교통안전 및 도로설계, 도로교통공단 교통과학연구원, 교통기술자료집 2017-2, 통권 제40호, p.3, 2017.
- 이상우, [교통인문학] 도로 위의 커뮤니케이션 도구, 한국교통연구원, p.2, 2017.
- http://www.joongdo.co.kr/main/view.php?key=20190331010012979, 중도일보, 2019.04.01.
- H. W. Noh et al., "Concepts of Disaster Prevention Design for Safety in the Future Society," IJoC, Vol.10, No.1, p.58, 2014.
- 경찰청, 교통사고통계, p.108, 2018.
- 황정현, 고령사회 교통안전 및 도로설계, 도로교통공단 교통과학연구원, 교통기술자료집 2017-2, 통권 제40호, p.6, 2017.
- 신지예, 고령자 조명 환경을 위한 색인지에 관한 연구, 영남대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, p.30, 2013.
- 경찰청, LED 교통신호등 표준지침, p.22, 2011.
- 이문호, LED 교통신호등 고장분석 및 신뢰성 향상방안에 관한 연구, 전남대학교 산업대학원, 석사학위논문, p.3, 2007.
- https://www.koroad.or.kr/kp_web/knTrafficSign2-01.do, 도로교통공단, 2019.08.16.