- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Safety and Efficacy of Low Level Laser for Alopecia : A Systematic Review
탈모에 대한 레이저의 안전성 및 유효성 : 체계적 문헌 고찰
- Lee, Bo-Ram (Dept. of Beauty Design, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, Ma-Eum (Dep. of Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology, Pusan National University Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Ko, Kyoung-Sook (Dept. of Beauty Design, Wonkwang University) ;
- Seo, Hyung-Sik (Dep. of Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology, Pusan National University Korean Medicine Hospital)
- Received : 2019.10.06
- Accepted : 2019.10.25
- Published : 2019.11.25
Objectives : The purpose of this study is to determine the safety and efficacy of low level laser. Methods : We searched 11 electronic databases(Pubmed, CAJ, EMBASE, Medline, Cochrane Library, KMBASE, KISS, KISTI, NDSL, RISS, Oasis) up to March 2019. We included randomized controlled trials(RCTs) using low level laser for alopecia. The methodological quality of each RCT was assessed by the Cochrane risk of bias tool. Results : 8 RCT studies were eligible in our review. The meta-analysis of 2 studies showed favorable results for the use of low level laser with minoxidil 5% than minoxidil 5% and 6 studies showed favorable results for the use of low level laser than placebo light. The results of meta-analysis showed that low-level laser has an efficacy on alopecia. There were no serious side effects or adverse effects. High risk of bias were observed in all studies. Conclusion : Now limited evidence is available to support low level laser for alopecia and further well-designed RCTs should be encouraged.
Supported by : 부산대학교병원
- Tuner J, Hode L. Laser therapy, Grangesberg:Prima books, 2002:8-89.
- Hwang EH, Yang CS, Jang IS. The Spectrum of Laser Instruments for Laser Acupuncture Application. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(1):49-57.
- Jeong JW, Lee SR, Lee YH. Changes of Quality of Life in Melasma Patients' after Laser Tratment. Journal of Health and Beauty. 2010;4(1):13-23.
- Jang KA, Chi DH, Choi JH, Sung KJ, Moon KC, Koh JK. The Removal of Eyebrow Tattoos by the Q-switched Alexandrite Laser. Korean J Dermatol. 1999;37(4):444-8.
- Mok JI, Lee JE, Seo HS. Reviewing Research on Laser Output Used for Treatment of Hair Loss. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2014;27(2):33-50. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2014.27.2.033
- Bang CY. Therapeutic Effect of 308nm Excimer Laser on Alopecia Areata in Animal Model and Patient. Master's thesis. Incheon:Inha University. 2013.
- Kim CY, Seo HS, Lee DJ, Kwon K. Case Study on Treating Scarring alopecia and Alopecia arreata Using Low Level Laser Therapy and Acupuncture. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2016;29(4):182-8. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2016.29.4.182
- Kim SY, Park JE. Seo HJ, Lee YJ, Jang BH, Son HJ, Suh HS, Shin CM. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. Seoul:National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011:65-71.
- Faghihi G, Mozafarpoor S, Asilian A, Mokhtari F, Esfahani AA, Bafandeh B, Nouraei S, Nilforoushzadeh MA, Hosseini SM. The effectiveness of adding low-level light therapy to minoxidil 5% solution in the treatment of patients with androgenetic alopecia. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2018;84(5):547-53. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijdvl.IJDVL_1156_16
- Mai-Yi Fan S, Cheng YP, Lee MY, Lin SJ, Chiu HY. Efficacy and Safety of a Low-Level Light Therapy for Androgenetic Alopecia: A 24-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Self-Comparison, Sham Device-Controlled Trial. Dermatol Surg. 2018;44(11):1411-20 https://doi.org/10.1097/DSS.0000000000001577
- Suchonwanit P, Chalermroj N, Khunkhet S. Low-level laser therapy for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in Thai men and women: a 24-week, randomized, doubleblind, sham device-controlled trial. Lasers Med Sci. 2019;34(6):1107-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-018-02699-9
- Esmat SM, Hegazy RA, Gawdat HI, Abdel Hay RM, Allam RS, El Naggar R, Moneib H. Low level light-minoxidil 5% combination versus either therapeutic modality alone in management of female patterned hair loss: A randomized controlled study. Lasers Surg Med. 2017;49(9):835-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.22684
- Friedman S, Schnoor P. Novel Approach to Treating Androgenetic Alopecia in Females With Photobiomodulation (Low-Level Laser Therapy). Dermatol Surg. 2017;43(6):856-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/DSS.0000000000001114
- Lanzafame RJ, Blanche RR, Chiacchierini RP, Kazmirek ER, Sklar JA. The growth of human scalp hair in females using visible red light laser and LED sources. Lasers Surg Med. 2014;46(8):601-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.22277
- Lanzafame RJ, Blanche RR, Bodian AB, Chiacchierini RP, Fernandez-Obregon A, Kazmirek ER. The growth of human scalp hair mediated by visible red light laser and LED sources in males. Lasers Surg Med. 2013;45(8):487-95. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.22173
- Leavitt M, Charles G, Heyman E, Michaels D. HairMax LaserComb laser phototherapy device in the treatment of male androgenetic alopecia: A randomized, double-blind, sham device-controlled, multicentre trial. Clin Drug Investig. 2009;29(5):283-92. https://doi.org/10.2165/00044011-200929050-00001
- Delaney SW, Zhang P. Systematic review of low-level laser therapy for adult androgenic alopecia. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2018 Aug;20(4):229-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/14764172.2017.1400170