- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Nursing Organizational Culture, Work Performance and Workplace Bullying Type on Workplace Bullying Consequence of Nurses
간호조직문화, 업무수행능력, 직장 내 괴롭힘 유형이 간호사의 직장 내 괴롭힘 결과에 미치는 영향
- Jeong, Ga Yeon (Department of Nursing, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Jang, Hyun Jung (Department of Nursing, Kyungwoon University)
- Received : 2019.06.18
- Accepted : 2019.10.08
- Published : 2019.11.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship among nursing organizational culture, work performance, and workplace bullying of nurses, and to identify the factors that affect workplace bullying. Methods: The design of this study was descriptive research, and the data were collected from October 26 to November 5, 2018. The research participants were 210 nurses in six general hospitals in G province. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, a t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheff? post-hoc test, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and a stepwise multiple regression using SPSS 22.0. Results: The workplace bullying type showed negative correlations with innovation-oriented culture, relation-oriented culture, and work performance. The workplace bullying consequence showed negative correlations with the innovation-oriented culture, relation-oriented culture, and work performance, and showed positive correlations with the workplace bullying type. The factors influencing the results of the workplace bullying consequence were workplace bullying type followed by relation-oriented culture, and unmarried status. Conclusion: Workplace bullying among nurses was related to the nursing organizational culture and work performance. Therefore, in order to reduce the turnover rate of nurses and to help them adapt well to the nursing organizational culture, a bullying prevention and intervention program is necessary.
- Cho, J. A., & Chung, K. H. (2015). Effect of small and medium-sized hospital nursing unit managers servant leadership on the nurses job performance. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, 5(2), 37-48. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.04.36
- Choi, H. R., & Cho, D. S. (2011). Influence of nurses' performance with critical thinking and problem solving process. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 17(3), 265-274. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.265 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.265
- Choi, H. Y. (2010). Concept analysis of burnout. Health & Nursing, 22(2), 27-38.
- Cohen J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- Han, E. H., & Ha, Y. M. (2016). Relationships among self-esteem, social support, nursing organizational culture, experience of workplace bullying, and consequence of workplace bullying in hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 22(3), 303-312. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.303 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.303
- Han, S. J. (2002). A study on the relationship between nursing organizational culture and organizational performance. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 8(3), 441-456.
- Han, S. M., & Lee, H. S. (2010). Nurses' reasons for participation in continuing nursing education. The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 29(2), 189-204.
- Hospital Nurses Association. (2017). Survey on the status of hospital nursing staff placement. Seoul: Hospital Nurses Association.
- Im, Y. S., Kim, J. H., & Kwon, H. J. (2016). Relationships among bullying in workplace, burnout, and emotional intelligence of Korean physician assistant (PA) nurses. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(2), 703-713. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703
- Johnson, S. L. (2009). International perspectives on workplace bullying among nurses: A review, International Nursing Review, 56, 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2008.00679.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2008.00679.x
- Kang, H. Y., Kim, S. H., & Han, K. H. (2018). The relationship among workplace bullying organizational commitment and turnover intention of the nurses working in public medical institutions. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 24(2), 178-187. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.2.178 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.2.178
- Kang, J. Y., & Lee, M. J. (2016). The related factors to workplace bullying in nursing: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 28(4), 399-414. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.399 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.399
- Kang, J. Y., & Yun, S. Y. (2016). A grounded theory approach on nurses' experience with workplace bullying. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 46(2), 226-237. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.226 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.226
- Kang, S. J. (2013). Mediating effects of empowerment, job stress, and organizational commitment in relation-oriented nursing organization culture and turnover intention of clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 19(3), 372-381. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.372 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.372
- Kim, S. H. (2015). The effects of nursing practice environment and workplace bullying on nursing performance and turnover intention (Unpublished master's thesis). Eulji University, Daejeon.
- Kim, S. I. (2016). The effect of nursing organizational culture and nursing work environment on workplace bullying (Unpublished master's thesis). Gachon University, Seongnam.
- Kwak, S. Y., Kim, Y. S., Lee, K. J., & Kim, M. Y. (2017). Influence of nursing informatics competencies and problem-solving ability on nursing performance ability among clinical nurses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 23(2), 146-155. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.2.146 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.2.146
- Laschinger, H. K. S., Grau, A. L., Finegan, J., & Wilk, P. (2010). New graduate nurses' experiences of bullying and burnout in hospital settings. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(12), 2732-2742. https://doi.org/j.1365-2648.2010.05420.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05420.x
- Lee, E. J., Han, J. Y., & Kim, M. Y. (2008). Effects of the organizational culture on the job satisfaction and organization commitment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 14(1), 5-12.
- Lee, E. M. (2017). Impact of bullying in the workplace on nursing service quality -Moderating effect of professional self concept (Unpublished master's thesis). Woosuk University, Wanju.
- Lee, J. W., Eo, Y. S., & Ha, Y. S. (2014). Effects of organizational cultures on job satisfaction and organizational commitment: Focused on small to medium sized hospitals. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 8(3), 75-87. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.3.075 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.3.075
- Lee, Y. J. (2014). The conceptual development and development of new instruments to measure bullying in nursing workplace (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Inha University, Incheon.
- Lee, Y. J., Lee, M. H., & Bernstein, K. (2013). Effect of workplace bullying and job stress on turnover intention in hospital nurses. The Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 22(2), 77-87. https://doi.org/10.12934.jkpmhn.2013.22.2.77 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.2.77
- MacIntosh, J., Wuest, J., Gray, M. M, & Cronkhite, M. (2010). Workplace bullying in health care affects the meaning of work. Qualitative Health Research, 20(8), 1128-1141. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732310369804 https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732310369804
- Park, K. O., Kim, S. Y., & Kim, J. K. (2013). Hospital nurses' experience of bullying in the workplace and burnout, organizational commitment, turnover intention and nursing productivity. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 19(2), 169-180. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.2.169 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.2.169
- Park, K. O., Park, S. A., Park, S. H., Lee, E. H., Kim, M. A., & Kwag, W. H. (2011). Revision of performance appraisal tool and verification of reliability and validity. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 17(1), 70-80.
- Park, S. A., Park, K. O., Kim, S. Y., & Sung, Y. H. (2007). A development of standardized nurse performance appraisal tool. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 3(1), 197-211.
- Park, Y. S. (2017). Influence of bullying in the workplace, burnout and health status on nursing performance in the small and medium-sized public hospital (Unpublished master's thesis). Catholic Kwandong University, Gangneung.
- Sim, H. S., Ahn, S. Y., & Lee, Y. J. (2018). The convergence effects of nursing organizational culture, workplace bullying, and hospital violence attitude on psychological wellbeing among clinical nurses. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(10), 589-597. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.10.589 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.10.589