- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Ferrite-based wideband circularly polarized microstrip antenna design
- Mashhadi, Mostafa (Department of Electrical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Komjani, Nader (Department of Electrical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Rejaei, Behzad (Department of Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology) ;
- Ghalibafan, Javad (Department of Electrical Engineering, Shahrood University of Technology)
- Received : 2017.12.05
- Accepted : 2018.09.05
- Published : 2019.06.03
In this paper, a wideband, circularly polarized patch antenna is proposed that leverages the unidirectional resonant modes of a circular patch mounted on top of a grounded dielectric-ferrite substrate. The proposed antenna is fed via the proximity coupling method and several parasitically coupled patches are placed on a dielectric superstrate to enhance the impedance bandwidth of the antenna. The resonant modes of the structure rotate only in the clockwise or counter clockwise directions. In the frequency range where the effective permeability of the ferrite layer is negative, the resonance frequencies of these modes differ significantly, which produces a large axial ratio (AR) bandwidth. For the proposed antenna, the numerical results show the 10 dB impedance bandwidth to be around 44% and the 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth to be higher than 64%.
- Q. W. Lin et al., Printed meandering probe‐fed circularly polarized patch antenna with wide bandwidth, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 13 (2014) 654-657. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2314141
- Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, A compact circularly polarized cross‐shaped slotted microstrip antenna, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 60 (2012), no. 3, 1584-1588. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2011.2180334
- K. Wong and Y. Lin, Circularly polarized microstrip antenna with a tuning stub, Electron. Lett. 34 (1998) no. 9, 831-832. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19980593
- Yohandri, J. T. S. Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, A new triple proximity‐fed circularly polarized microstrip antenna, AEU‐Int. J. Electron. Commun. 66 (2012), no. 5, 359-400.
- N. R. Pasumarthy and P. R. Yagateela, Compact single feed circularly polarized koch island microstrip antenna, AEU‐Int. J. Electron. Commun. 70 (2016), no. 11, 1543-1550.
- J. Wu et al., Broadband circularly polarized patch antenna with parasitic strips, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 14 (2015), 559-562. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2373823
- Z. Wu et al., Metasurface superstrate antenna with wideband circular polarization for satellite communication application, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 15 (2016), 374-377. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2446505
- X. Jiang et al., A low‐cost wideband circularly polarized slot array with integrated feeding network and reduced height, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 15 (2016), 222-225. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2438715
- S. Maddio, A compact wideband circularly polarized antenna array for c‐band applications, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 14 (2015), 1081-1084. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2392387
- M. Rahimi et al., Wide band srr‐inspired slot antenna with circular polarization for wireless application, AEU‐Int. J. Electron. Commun. 70 (2016), no. 9, 1199-1204.
- Q. Liu et al., Compact wideband circularly polarized patch antenna for cnss applications, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 12 (2013), 1280-1283. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2013.2283218
- R. V. Krishna and R. Kumar, Design of ultra wideband trapezoidal shape slot antenna with circular polarization, AEU‐Int. J. Electron. Commun. 67 (2013), no. 12, 1038-1047.
- H. G. Xue, X. X. Yang, and Z. Ma, A novel microstrip‐CPW fed planar slot antenna with broadband and circular polarization, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 14 (2015), 1392-1395. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2407904
- K. Jono and T. Fujimoto, Wideband rectangular printed monopole antenna for circular polarisation, IET Microwaves Antennas Propag. 8 (2014), no. 9, 649-656. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2013.0460
- A. Panahi et al., A printed triangular monopole with wideband circular polarization, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 63 (2015), no. 1, 415-418. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2014.2365828
- R. V. Krishna, R. Kumar, and N. Kushwaha, A circularly polarized slot antenna for high gain applications, AEU‐Int. J. Electron. Commun. 68 (2014), no. 11, 1119-1128.
- N. Kushwaha and R. Kumar, Design of a wideband high gain antenna using FSS for circularly polarized applications, AEU ‐ Int. J. Electron. Commun. 70 (2016), no. 9, 1156-1163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2016.05.013
- K. K. Tsang and R. J. Langley, Design of circular patch antennas on ferrite substrates, IEE Proc.‐Microwaves Antennas Propag. 145 (1998), no. 1, 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-map:19981449
- D. Pozar, Radiation and scattering characteristics of microstrip antennas on normally biased ferrite substrates, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 40 (1992), no. 9, 1084-1092. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.166534
- A. A. Mavridis, G. A. Kyriacou, and J. N. Sahalos, Analysis of circular patch antenna tuned by a ferrite post, Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett. 46 (2005), no. 3, 234-237. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.20954
- J. Ghalibafan, B. Rejaei, and N. Komjani, A circularly polarized antenna based on the unidirectional resonant modes of a ferrite disk, IEEE Trans. Magn. 50 (2014), no. 3, 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2013.2283655
- M. Mashhadi et al., Analysis of wideband circularly polarized ferrite‐loaded antenna based on unidirectional resonant modes, IEEE Trans. Magn. 53 (2017), no. 9, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2018.2792846
- S. Bedra, S. Benkouda, and T. Fortaki, An efficient study of circular microstrip antenna on suspended and composite substrates, J. Comput. Electron. 16 (2017), no. 3, 922-929. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10825-017-1012-9
- P. Malathi and R. Kumar, Design of multilayer rectangular microstrip antenna using artificial neural networks, Int. J. Recent Trends Eng. 2 (2009), no. 5, 53-57.
- Nasimuddin, K. Esselle, and A. K. Verma, Fast and accurate model for circular microstrip antennas on suspended and composite substrates, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 53 (2005), no. 9, 3097-3100. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2005.854538
- G. Kumar and K.P. Ray, Broadband microstrip antennas, Artech House, Boston, USA, 2003, pp. 89-200.
- N. Liu, L. Zhu, and W. Choi, A differential‐fed microstrip patch antenna with bandwidth enhancement under operation of TM 10 and tm 30 modes, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 65 (2017), no. 4, 607-1614.
- N. Liu, L. Zhu, and W. Choi, A low‐profile wide‐bandwidth planar inverted‐F antenna under dual resonances: Principle and design approach, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 65 (2017), no. 10, 5019-5025. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2736578
- N. Liu et al., A low‐profile aperture‐coupled microstrip antenna with enhanced bandwidth under dual resonance, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 65 (2017), no. 3, 1055-1062. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2657486
- N. Liu et al., Wideband shorted patch antenna under radiation of dual‐resonant modes, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 65 (2017), no. 6, 2789-2796. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2688802
- A. Boutejdar, A. A. Ibrahim, and E. P. Burte, A compact multiple band‐notched planer antenna with enhanced bandwidth using parasitic strip lumped capacitors and DGS‐technique, Telkomnika Indones. J. Electr. Eng. 13 (2015), no. 2, 203-208.
- A. Boutejdar et al., Design and fabrication of a novel quadruple‐ band monopole antenna using a U‐DGS and open‐ loop‐ ring resonators, Advanced Electromagn. 6 (2017), no. 3, 59-63. https://doi.org/10.7716/aem.v6i3.573
- S. Fu et al., Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna with coplanar parasitic ring slot patch for L‐band satellite system application, IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett. 13 (2014), no. 9, 943-946. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2323113
- H. Oraizi and R. Pazoki, Wideband circularly polarized aperture‐ fed rotated stacked patch antenna, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 61 (2013), no. 3, 1048-1054. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2012.2229378
- J. Baik et al., Broadband circularly polarized crossed dipole with parasitic loop resonators and its arrays, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 59 (2011), no. 1, 80-88. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2010.2090463
- N. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, Bandwidth enhancement of a single‐feed circularly polarized antenna using a metasurface: metamaterial‐based wideband CP rectangular microstrip antenna, IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag. 58 (2016), no. 2, 39-46. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAP.2016.2520257