- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Newspapers Are Dead? A Case Study on Chinese Newspapers' Public Opinion Guidance in the Context of New Media
- Ting, Yang (Southwest University of Political Science & Law)
- Received : 2020.01.17
- Accepted : 2020.02.23
- Published : 2020.02.28
With social media booming, newspapers are facing an enormous challenge, and some have even had to exit the market. Likewise, their role as a main force of public opinion guidance in China has also been challenged. They have lost their vantage ground. The present study conducted a case study on one well-known Chinese online public opinion event. Through analyzing the newspapers' role played in different public opinion development stages, this study displayed how Chinese newspapers worked together and successfully guided online public opinion in that case. The newspapers' advantages in guiding public opinion and suggestions as to how newspapers can survive and guide public opinion in the new media era are put forward in the final section.
Supported by : Southwest University of Political Science and Law
- Banxi Shuyuan, (2018, December 31). In 2018, there have been more than 40 newspapers bidding farewell to us. Baidu. https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1621337710084908693&wfr=spider&for=pc, 20181231.
- China Internet Network Information Center. (2019). 43rd Statistical Report on the Development of China's Internet Network. http://www.cac.gov.cn/2019-08/30/c_1124938750.htm
- Dang, C. S. (2012). The coordination between traditional media and network public opinion: Interpretation of comparative advantage. Modern Communication (Journal of Communication University of China), 1, 139-140.
- Eefung Software. (2017). "SMC" Public Opinion Report. https://www.eefung.com/hot-report/20170331110551-51016
- Fan, M. X. (2010). The media guidance of traditional media on the spread of network events: Analysis based on the theory of agenda setting. Contemporary Communications, 2, 53-55.
- Feng, C. M. (2010). New challenges of traditional media in network public opinions. Youth Journalist, 16, 58-59.
- Gao, S. K. (2010). The digital transformation of China's newspaper industry in the era of all media (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Zhejiang University.
- Li, L. R. (2015). Old tradition in new media age. http://news.fudan.edu.cn/2015/1230/40731.html, 20151230.
- Li, Y., & Liu, D. L. (2013). A new path of newspaper industry transformation in the all media era: Taking the southern media PAI of Nandu as an example. Media Times, 1,47-50.
- Li, Z. W., & Xing, Y. F. (2017). Research on the evolution of public opinion topics in emergency networks in the new media environment: Taking the "Jiuzhaigou earthquake" topic on Sina Weibo as an example. Information Science, 12, 39-44+167.
- Lin, Y. X., Xie, X. S., & Zhang, D. P. (2020). Analysis of the evolution of Internet public opinion under the influence of complex interactive behavior. Chinese Journal of Management Science, 1, 212-221.
- Liu, B. (2014). Theory of public opinion guidance (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Wuhan University.
- Liu, J. R. (2012). Research on the evolution path of Weibo public opinion from the perspective of crisis communication. Journal of Intelligence, 7, 21-24.
- Liu, Y. F., & Wang, P. Y. (2019). China network public opinion guidance research hotpots and development situation analysis - Quantitative analysis based on CiteSpace Knowledge Map. IOP Conference Series: Material Science and Engineering, 1-11.
- Luan, C.H. (2015). Jiujing ruhe qufen chuantong meiti he xienmeiti [How to distinguish traditional and new media]. Qingnian jizhe, 24, 96.
- National Newspaper Publishing Industry Eleventh Five-Year Development Outline. (2006). http://media.people.com.cn/GB/4671093.html, 20060806.
- People's Network Public Opinion Data Center. (2017, March 30). Public opinion of "SMC", mainstream media jointly play important role. http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/AKrtRpMOJdWXBaHkzZM2ww, 20170330
- Qiu, Z. Q. (2018). The practice of social research. Huaxia Publishing House. Southern Weekly. Stabbing the man who insulted my mother. http://www.infzm.com/content/123659, 20170323
- Sun, Z. W., & Tian, C. (2018). The mainstream media public opinion guiding strategy in the context of new media. Radio & TV Journal, 1, 159-160.
- Tong, B. (2012). Analysis on the similarities and differences between the official and folk opinion fields. People's Forum, 12, 34-36.
- Wei, Z. S. (2018). Challenges and opportunities for traditional media news propaganda in the new media environment. New Media Research, 18, 85-86.
- Xu, M. X. (2019). Analysis on the public opinion guidance of mainstream media in the environment of convergence media. Research on Transmission Competence, 10, 69-70.
- Yang, J. J. (2019). The dilemma and outlet of traditional media public opinion guidance under the media convergence. Science & Technology for China's Mass Media, 4, 26-27.
- Yi, C. Z. (2012). Analysis on the evolvement mechanism of public opinion in group emergency networks. Advances in China Public Security, 1, 35-40.
- Zhiwei Insight. (2019, June 24) "SMC" Communication trend. http://ef.zhiweidata.com/#!/event/3b51b963c4a882e910000173/trend,20190624