- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Survey on the Complications Associated with Acupotomy in a Single Korean Medicine Clinic
일개한의의료기관에서 시행한 침도치료 시술 후 이상반응에 대한 설문조사
- Jung, Sehun (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Woo, Jongwon (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Chae, Hyocheong (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Oh, Kichang (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Choi, Soyoun (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Lee, Joohyun (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Kang, Kyungho (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue) ;
- Chu, Hongmin (Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Ryu, Myungseok (Academic Affairs Board, Korean Medical Society of Soft Tissue)
- 정세훈 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 우종원 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 채효청 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 오기창 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 최소연 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 이주현 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 강경호 (연부조직한의학회) ;
- 추홍민 (원광대학교 광주한방병원) ;
- 유명석 (연부조직한의학회)
- Received : 2020.09.29
- Accepted : 2020.10.28
- Published : 2020.12.27
Objectives : This study aimed to evaluate adverse outcome associated with acupotomy and compare it with that of acupuncture. Methods : We retrospectively analyzed the chart records of 71 patients who received acupotomy at Daemyung Korean medical clinic from January 7, 2020 to March 6, 2020. We divided the acupotomy treatment area into 10, including the head, hand, chest, knees, shoulders, low back, neck, upper extremities, thighs, and feet. Furthermore, we investigated the adverse effect of acupotomy on those areas after treatment. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, and frequency analysis. Results : 'Bruise of specific region' accounted for the largest portion with 29 cases, followed by 24 cases of 'feeling tired and sleepy' and 17 cases of 'itch'. There were 16 cases of 'sustained pain' at the area of treatment, 11 cases of 'fatigue', 5 cases of 'swelling', 5 cases of 'dizziness', 4 cases of 'hematoma'. There were 3 cases of 'vertigo' and 2 cases of 'parathesia' and 'wide bruises', 'headache', 'gastric discomfort', 'bleeding', and 'skin rash' each. There was one case each that experienced 'unclear pronunciation', 'nausea', 'abnormal sweating', 'vomiting' and 'emotional/psychological reactions'. Conclusions : Adverse outcomes associated with acupotomy were mostly 'bruise of specific region', 'feeling tired and sleepy', 'itch', 'sustatained pain', and 'fatigue'. However, no adverse outcome or irreversible damage that have a serious effect on the body were observed.
- Yoon SH, Kwon CY, Leem J. Adverse event of miniscalpel-needle treatment in Korea: A systematic review. Eur J Integr Med. 2019 ; 27 : 7-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2019.02.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2019.02.002
- Yuk DI, Kim KM, Jeon JH, Kim YI, Kim JH, Kim JH. A Review of Trends for Acupotomy. The Acupuncture. 2014 ; 31(3) : 35-43. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014041 https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014041
- The Association of Korean Medicine. Standardization of classification system for each category of non-paid travel agency and research on behavior definition development (Korean Medicine). 2013.
- Adrian W. A Cumulative Review of the Range and Incidence of Significant Adverse Events Associated with Acupuncture. Acupunct Med. 2004 ; 22(3) : 122-33. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.22.3.122 https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.22.3.122
- Kim MR, Shin JS, Lee J, Lee YJ, Ahn YJ, Park KB, et al. Safety of Acupuncture and Pharmacopuncture in 80,523 Musculoskeletal Disorder Patients: A Retrospective Review of Internal Safety Inspection and Electronic Medical Records. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 ; 95(18) : e3635. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000003635 https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000003635
- Jiang L, Zhang B, Yu H. Analysis on adverse event in acupotomy therapy based on literature research. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2018 ; 38(9) :1007-12. https://doi.org/10.13703/j.0255-2930.2018.09.027 https://doi.org/10.13703/j.0255-2930.2018.09.027
- You J, Yang F, Liu N, Tang N, Fang T, Liu F, et al. Acupotomy Therapy for Shoulder Adhesive Capsulitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2019 ; 2019 : 2010816. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2010816 https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2010816
- Liu F, Zhou F, Zhao M, Fang T, Chen M, Yan X. Acupotomy Therapy for Chronic Nonspecific Neck Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analy sis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017 ; 2017 : 6197308. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/6197308 https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/6197308
- Furuse N, Yamashita H, Masuyama S, Egawa M, Umeda T. Case report on adverse effects of acupuncture and moxibustion: a review of papers published between 2007 and 2011. J Jpn Soc Acupunct Moxibust. 2013 ; 9(1) : 1-12.
- Wu J, Hu Y, Zhu Y, Yin P, Litscher G, Xu S. Systematic Review of Adverse Effects: A Further Step towards Modernization of Acupuncture in China. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015 ; 2015 : 432467. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/432467 https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/432467
- White A, Hayhoe S, Hart A, Ernst E; BMAS and AACP. Survey of adverse events following acupuncture (SAFA): a prospective study of 32,000 consultations. Acupunct Med. 2001 ; 19(2) : 84-92. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.19.2.84 https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.19.2.84
- Endres HG, Molsberger A, Lungenhausen M, Trampisch HJ. An internal standard for verifying the accuracy of serious adverse event reporting: the example of an acupuncture study of 190,924 patients. Eur J Med Res. 2004 ; 9(12) : 545-51.
- Kim S. Clinical characteristics of Poor Responders to Acupotomy and Safety Pretreatment Management. J Acupunct Res. 2008 ; 25(4) : 117-25.
- Huang TH, Hsu KH, Chang HH. The evaluation of risk factors in needle sickness. J Chin Med. 2010 ; 21(3,4) : 134-42.
- Yoon JY, Kim CH. New Mechanism of Vasovagal Syncope: Trigeminocardiac Reflex. J Korean Dent Soc Anethesiol. 2012 ; 12(3) : 151-3. https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2012.12.3.151 https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2012.12.3.151
- Fenton AM, Hammill SC, Rea RF, Low PA, Shen WK. Vasovagal syncope. Ann Intern Med. 2000 ; 133(9) : 714-25. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-133-9-200011070-00014 https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-133-9-200011070-00014