- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Suppressive Effects of Daebangfung-tang against Disuse Muscle Atrophy in Gastrocnemius of Rats
대방풍탕의 흰 쥐 비복근 불용성 근위축에 대한 억제 효과
- Kim, Jae Hoon (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Lee, Jung Hee (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Lee, Cho In (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Lee, Bong Hyo (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Lee, Yun Kyu (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Jong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Kim, Jae Soo (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daegu Haany University)
- 김재훈 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과) ;
- 이정희 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과) ;
- 이초인 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과) ;
- 이봉효 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과) ;
- 이윤규 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과) ;
- 이현종 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과) ;
- 김재수 (대구한의대학교 부속 한방병원 침구의학과)
- Received : 2020.11.13
- Accepted : 2020.12.11
- Published : 2020.12.27
Objectives : The aim of this study is to evaluate the effect of Daebangfung-tang (DBFT) on suppressing muscle atrophy followed by immobilization. Methods : Twenty young male Sprague-Dawley rats were randomized into two groups. The rats in experimental group (DBFT group) were orally administrated DBFT once a day for 2 weeks, and the rats in control group were given normal saline in the same manner. The immobilization on left leg was carried out using casting tape. The morphologies of gastrocnemius in both groups were assessed. The cross sectional area of them was measured by image analyzer. Immunohistochemical staining was implemented and the numbers of immunopositive cells implying the expression of TNF-α were measured and quantified. Results : DBFT represented the significant suppressive effects against the weight loss of the left gastrocnemius muscle and the reduction in cross sectional area of the left gastrocnemius muscle compared with normal saline. Also the treatment with DBFT significantly reduced the expression of TNF-α in gastrocnemius compared with normal saline. Conclusions : DBFT is thought to have the significant suppressive effect against muscle atrophy followed by immobilization.
- Alway SE, Bennett BT, Wilson JC, Sperringer J, Mohamed JS, Edens NK, et al. Green tea extract attenuates muscle loss and improves muscle function during disuse, but fails to improve muscle recovery following unloading in aged rats. J Appl Physiol. 2015 ; 118(3) : 319-30. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol. 00674.2014 https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00674.2014
- Kandarian SC, Jackman RW. Intracellular signaling during skeletal muscle atrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2006 ; 33(2) : 155-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20442 https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20442
- Hur J, Kim M, Choi SY, Jang YJ, Ha TY. Isobavachalcone attenuates myotube atrophy induced by TNF-α through muscle atrophy F-box signaling and the nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 cascade. Phytother Res. 2019 ; 33(2) : 403-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.6235 https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.6235
- Kim BH. The Effects of Acupuncture at GB34 on Disuse Muscle Atrophy in Rats. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2018 ; 28(4) : 1-9. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2018.28.4.1 https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2018.28.4.1
- Chung YJ, Lee YK, Lee BH, Kim JS, Lee HJ. The Protective Effects of Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim Pharmacopuncture on Disuse Muscle Atrophy in Rat Gastrocnemius Muscle. J Acupunct Res. 2019 ; 36(4) : 238-44. https://doi.org/10.13045/jar.2019.00199 https://doi.org/10.13045/jar.2019.00199
- Fujita R, Tanaka Y, Saihara Y, Yamakita M, Ando D, Koyama K. Effect of molecular hydrogen saturated alkaline electrolyzed water on disuse muscle atrophy in gastrocnemius muscle. J Physiol Anthropol. 2011 ; 30(5) : 195-201. https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa2.30.195 https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa2.30.195
- Choi YH. Effects of Schisandrae Fructus Supplementation on Apoptosis and Inflammatory Response in Gastrocnemius Muscle of Dexamethasone-Induced Muscle Atrophy Mice. Herb Formula Sci. 2017 ; 25(3) : 363-74. https://doi.org/10.14374/HFS.2017.25.3.363 https://doi.org/10.14374/HFS.2017.25.3.363
- Kim HJ, Ahn SH, Park SY. The Effects of Alpiniae Oxyphyllae Fructus on Osteoporosis and Muscle Dystrophy of Male Mice. J Int Korean Med. 2019 ; 40(1) : 1-12. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2019.40.1.1 https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2019.40.1.1
- Koo ST, Hwang JH, Sohn IC, Kim KS. Effect of Daebangpungtang herbal acupuncture on the carrageenan-induced arthritis in rats. Korean J Acupunct. 2005 ; 22(3) : 83-104.
- Sung BG, Park YI, Kim JJ, Kim MS, Kim NK, Lim KS. Analgesic Effect of Daebangpung-tang on a Rat Model of Adjuvant-induced Arthritis. Korean J Oriental Medical Physiology & Pathology. 2002 ; 16(1) : 124-32.
- Heo J. Donguibogam. 1st ed. Seoul : Bubin Publishers Company. 2005: 583.
- Herb-med DB information. National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation. Available from URL: http://www.nifds.go.kr/herb/m_442/list.do
- Shibaguchi T, Yamaguchi Y, Miyaji N, Yoshihara T, Naito H, Goto K, et al. Astaxanthin intake attenuates muscle atrophy caused by immobilization in rats. Physiol Rep. 2016 ; 4(15) : e12885. https://doi.org/10.14814/phy2.12885 https://doi.org/10.14814/phy2.12885
- Shin KM, Ko IG, Kim SE, Jin JJ, Hwang L, Kim SH, et al. Low-frequency electroacupncture improves locomotor function after sciatic crushed nerve injury in rats. J Exerc Rehabil. 2018 ; 14(6) : 927-33. https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1836594.297 https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1836594.297
- Shao L, Liu Y, Xiao J, Wang Q, Liu F, Ding J. Activating metabotropic glutamate receptor‑7 attenuates visceral hypersensitivity in neonatal maternally separated rats. Int J Mol Med. 2019 ; 43(2) : 761-70. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2018.4022 https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2018.4022
- Seo YJ, Lew JH. The Effect of Red Ginseng on Sarcopenic Rat. J Int Korean Med. 2018 ; 39(6) : 1168-80. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2018.39.6.1168 https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2018.39.6.1168
- Reid MB, Li Y. Tumor necrosis factor-α and muscle wasting: a cellular perspective. Respir Res. 2001 ; 2(5) : 269-72. https://doi.org/10.1186/rr67 https://doi.org/10.1186/rr67
- Jung TS, Kang SS, Choi CW. Clinical study on 1 case of both lower limbs weakness patient diagnosed wei symptom. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2012 ; 26(5) : 784-7.
- Ko HJ, Shin JC. A Case Report of Rhabdomyolysis Patient Treated with Traditional Korean Medicine. Korean J Acupunct. 2017 ; 34(3) : 172-8. https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2017.019 https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2017.019
- Midrio M. The denervated muscle: Facts and hypotheses. A historical review. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2006 ; 98(1) : 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-006-0256-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-006-0256-z
- Matsumoto Y, Nakano J, Oga S, Kataoka H, Honda Y, Sakamoto J, et al. The non-thermal effects of pulsed ultrasound irradiation on the development of disuse muscle atrophy in rat gastrocnemius muscle. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2014 ; 40(7) : 1578-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2013.12.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2013.12.031
- Udaka J, Terui T, Ohtsuki I, Marumo K, Ishiwata S, Kurihara S, et al. Depressed contractile performance and reduced fatigue resistance in single skinned fibers of soleus muscle after long-term disuse in rats. J Appl Physiol. 2011 ; 111(4) : 1080-7. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00330.2011 https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00330.2011
- Yoon BC, Yu BK, Lee MH. Exercise effects on the atrophy of denervated muscles in rat. Phys Ther Korea. 2000 ; 7(3) : 34-48.
- Volk T, Wang S. Protection of muscle nuclei. Oncotarget. 2015 ; 6(27) : 23046-7. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.5240 https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.5240
- Zhou J, Liu B, Liang C, Li Y, Song YH. Cytokine Signaling in Skeletal Muscle Wasting. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2016 ; 27(5) : 335-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tem.2016.03.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tem.2016.03.002
- Powers SK, Lynch GS, Murphy KT, Reid MB, Zijdewind I. Disease-Induced Skeletal Muscle Atrophy and Fatigue. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 ; 48(11) : 2307-19. 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000975 https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000000975
- Phillips SM, Glover EI, Rennie MJ. Alterations of protein turnover underlying disuse atrophy in human skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol. 2009 ; 107(3) : 645-54. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00452.2009 https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00452.2009