- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Re-conceptualization and the Paradigm Shift of Nation Branding in the Korean Context
미디어 변화에 따른 국가브랜딩의 재 개념화 및 새로운 패러다임 전환에 관한 연구
- 정가영 (서울대학교 언론정보학과)
- Received : 2019.12.09
- Accepted : 2019.12.23
- Published : 2020.01.28
This study critically examines and conceptually discuss the new theoretical trend of nation branding strategies and explores implications for Korean nation branding policy. Korea is known to be one of the countries who has competitively invested governmental efforts on nation branding. However, over the past two decades, while interactive academic discussions on nation brand were taking place and expanding in various fields and areas, related Korean literature did not pay much attention to increasing its conceptual understanding and development. Instead, studies on nation branding in the Korean context remained its focus on instrumental and economic aspects, leaving the theoretical discussion stagnant. In the Korean context, there was a tendency to regard nation branding as one of the political tools for national public and means for a short-term image marketing towards the foreign audience. To solve the undervaluation of Korea's nation brand and enhance its public image, there must be a revisit to its conceptual discussion. This study reviews various theoretical perspectives and paradigms on recent trends of nation branding, and re-conceptualize nation branding as the continuous interactive relations among 'national identity'-'nation brand'-'nation image'. In particular, by discussing the 'relationship building' approach, which is the latest suggested theoretical idea that well suits the networked era, this study suggests policy implications for Korea's future-oriented nation branding.
Supported by : 서울대학교
- M. E. Porter, How competitive forces shape strategy, In Readings in strategic management, Palgrave, London, pp.133-143, 1989.
- J. B. Manheim, Strategic public diplomacy and American foreign policy: The evolution of influence, Oxford University Press on Demand, 1994.
- J. Wang, "The power and limits of branding in national image communication in global society," Journal of International Communication, Vol.14, No.2, pp.9-24, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1080/13216597.2008.9674730
- P. Stahlberg and G. Bolin, "Having a soul or choosing a face? Nation branding, identity and cosmopolitan imagination," Social Identities, Vol.22, No.3, pp.274-290, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504630.2015.1128812
- M. Aronczyk, Branding the nation: The global business of national identity, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- C. Risen, "Re-branding America. Marketing gurus think they can help "reposition" the United States-and save American foreign policy," Boston Globe 13, 2005.
- E. Gilboa, "Searching for a theory of public diplomacy," The annals of the American academy of political and social science, Vol.616, No.1, pp.55-77, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002716207312142
- K. Dinnie, "Repositioning the Korea brand to a global audience: challenges, pitfalls, and current strategy," Korean Economic Institute of America, On Korea: Academic Paper Series, Vol.4, No.9, p.1, 2009,
- G. Sorman, '미래는 문화에 있다' Guy Sorman, La modernite aux 4 visages(현대성의 4가지 얼굴). 국립중앙박물관 개관 기념 국제심포지엄('미래는 문화에 있다'), 2005. 10. 28.
- 송은미, "골목골목 호기심 넘치는 한국, 단순한 K마케팅 너무 아쉬워," 한국일보, https://www.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/201805231869777488, 2018.5.6.
- S. Anholt, "'Nation branding' in Asia," Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, Vol.4, No.4, pp.265-269, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1057/pb.2008.22
- 김유경, "국가브랜드 이미지의 차원과 영향에 관한 연구," 광고연구, 제90권, pp.161-196, 2011.
- 한충민, 글로벌리제이션과 국가브랜드, 2010.
- I. Aharoni, "Countries must initiate a different conversation Every brand has a DNA and every place has a personality. Just like a human. In some cases, such as Paris(romance), the brand identity evolved organically. In other locales, such as New York City (Big Apple), the DNA was carefully engineered by professionals and political and civic leaders," PR Week [US] Vol.5, No.2, p.25, 2012. https://www.prweek.com/article/1280235/countries-initiate-different-conversation,
- 김형석, "국가브랜드 이미지 향상을 위한 브랜드 개발.관리 프로세스," Archives of Design Research, 제22권, 제5호, pp.47-58, 2009.
- 유창조, "국가브랜드, 관광브랜드, 도시브랜드의 역할과 과제," 한국관광정책, 제38권, pp.93-98, 2009.
- 최일도, "국가브랜드 PR 의 상징으로서 국기가 지니는 커뮤니케이션 기능에 관한 연구: 국기의 색채구성이 지니는 시각적 아이덴티티와 이미지를 중심으로," 한국광고홍보학보, 제13권, 제4호, pp.498-527, 2011.
- 윤주현, 장동련, "국가 발전단계와 국가브랜드 목적에 따른 국가브랜드 아이덴티티의 언어적. 시각적 소통," Archives of Design Research, 제29권, 제1호, pp.197-215, 2016.
- 유재웅, 진용주, "한국의 국가이미지 연구 경향: 2000 년대 이후를 중심으로," 한국광고홍보학보 (구한국광고학보), 재12권, 제4호, pp.300-326, 2010.
- 김유경, 최지혜, 이효복, "한류 콘텐츠 유형별 소비속성이 한류 콘텐츠 태도 및 국가브랜드 태도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 문화정책논총, 제31권, 제2호, pp.163-191, 2017.
- 이창현, 김유경, 이효복, "한류경험의 유형이 국가브랜드 이미지와 기업 및 제품의 인식에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 광고연구, 제87권, pp.364-391, 2010.
- 박규원, "한국의 국가브랜드 이미지강화를 위한 기업환경문화 고찰," 한국디자인문화학회지, 제10권, 제4호, pp.146-153, 2004.
- A. Ozkan, "The role of strategic communication management in nation brand building," Online Journal of Communication and Media Technologies, Vol5, No.4, p.174, 2015.
- G. Bolin and P. Stahlberg, "Mediating the nation-state: Agency and the media in nation-branding campaigns," International Journal of Communication, Vol.9, No.19, 2015.
- M. A. Merz, Y. He, and S. L. Vargo, "The evolving brand logic: a service-dominant logic perspective," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.37, No.3, pp.328-344, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-009-0143-3
- M. Fetscherin, "The determinants and measurement of a country brand: the country brand strength index," International Marketing Review, Vol.27, No.4, pp.466-479, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1108/02651331011058617
- R. Pappu and P. Quester, "Country equity: Conceptualization and empirical evidence," International Business Review, Vol.19, No.3, pp.276-291, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2009.12.006
- G. Szondi, Public diplomacy and nation branding: Conceptual similarities and differences, Netherlands Institute of International Relations "Clingendael," 2008,
- H. Gudjonsson, "Nation branding," Place branding, Vol.1, No.3, pp.283-298, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.pb.5990029
- K. M. Lee, Nation branding and sustainable competitiveness of nations, University of Twente. Netherlands, 2009.
- Y. Fan, "Branding the nation: Towards a better understanding," Place branding and public diplomacy, Vol.6, No.2, pp.97-103, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1057/pb.2010.16
- N. Kaneva, "Nation branding: Toward an agenda for critical research," International journal of communication, Vol.5, No.25, pp.117-141, 2011.
- E. Gilboa, "Diplomacy in the media age: Three models of uses and effects," Diplomacy and statecraft, Vol.12, No.2, pp.1-28, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/09592290108406221
- J. S. Nye, Soft power: The means to success in world politics, Public affairs, 2004,
- M. Aronczyk, "'Living the Brand': Nationality, Globality, and the Identity Strategies of Nation Branding Consultants," International journal of communication, Vol.2, No.25, pp.41-65, 2008.
- J. Widler, "Nation branding: With pride against prejudice," Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, Vol.3, No.2, pp.144-150, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.pb.6000055
- D. A. Aaker, "Measuring brand equity across products and markets," California management review, Vol.38, No.3, pp.102-120, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165845
- L. Wu, "Relationship building in nation branding: The central role of nation brand commitment," Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, Vol.13, No.1, pp.65-80, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1057/pb.2015.16
- U. Hakala and A. Lemmetyinen, "Co-creating a nation brand "bottom up"," Tourism Review, Vol.66, No.3, pp.14-24, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/16605371111175294
- J. E. Grunig, "Image and substance: From symbolic to behavioral relationships," Public relations review, Vol.19, No.2, pp.121-139, 1993, https://doi.org/10.1016/0363-8111(93)90003-U
- E. Kemp, C. Y. Childers, and K. H. Williams, "Place branding: creating self-brand connections and brand advocacy," Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol.21, No.7, pp.508-515, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421211276259
- E. Gummesson, "Relationship marketing in the new economy," Journal of relationship marketing, Vol.1, No.1, pp.37-57, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1300/J366v01n01_04
- G. Szondi, "From image management to relationship building: A public relations approach to nation branding," Place branding and public diplomacy, Vol.6, No.4, pp.333-343, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1057/pb.2010.32
- N. Morgan, A. Pritchard, and R. Pride, Destination branding, Routledge, 2002.
- Y. Fan, Key perspectives in nation image: A conceptual framework for nation branding, Brunel University, pp.1-13, 2008.
- G. Hankinson, "Relational network brands: Towards a conceptual model of place brands," Journal of vacation marketing, Vol.10, No.2, pp.109-121, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/135676670401000202
- V. Zeithaml, M. J. Bitner, and D. Gremler, Services marketing: Integrating customer focus across the firm, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- L. J. Harrison-Walker, "Place brands and the relational branding communication process," Academy of Marketing Studies Journal, Vol.16, No.51, pp.51-59, 2012.
- G. Ashworth and M. Kavaratzis, "Beyond the logo: Brand management for cities," Journal of Brand Management, Vol.16, No.8, pp.520-531, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2550133
- E. Wihlborg and A. Norstedt, "New ways and actors when diplomacy goes digital: The e-Diplomacy Campaign "Midwives4All", 'In HICSS 51, The Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Waikoloa, Hawaii, University of Hawaii, pp.2438-2447, 2017.
- 최용석, 김효미, "소셜 미디어를 이용한 공공외교가 국가이미지와 국가 브랜드에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제16권, 제3호, pp.426-438, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.03.426